Forum feedback decorum?

You are the second person to express this desire today.

I think having a discussion on whether there should be something like this is okay… but no promises should be made or inferred from such a discussion here.

One of the biggest issues with threads like the mechanics/ros I hate threads, is that the specific feedback for an author that is useful to them is very difficult to find.

There might be something very valuable to an author there, but it does them no good if they don’t see it.

I am sorry you feel that it feels discouraged.

There are many threads and posts within different threads that talk about feedback; how to give it, how to receive it; dos and dont’s … part of the issue is that the vast majority of people were never taught (or they never learned) how to provide feedback properly

A lot of this is on the author side as well. Many authors do not know how to take feedback or experience anxiety when feedback is given.

From a reader’s point-of-view, many authors do not provide the direction they need to give relevant and sought feedback. The skill to direct feedback (asking for specific feedback) and setting guardrails for feedback is a skill all writers should learn!

Just as readers need to learn how to provide feedback, writers/game developers need to learn how to accept feedback properly.

CoG projects have a screener that will often act as a buffer between the author and those providing feedback, but Hosted games authors do not have that very valuable resource.

Feedback is very necessary to have a better game, and part of the Hosted process is to seek it out.

The first place I feel everyone should look to for feedback guidelines is the FAQ - Choice of Games Forum.

With all that said: there is no simple solution that fixes everything at once.

11 Likes