February 2023's Writer Support Thread

haven’t been developing nearly as much as I’d like. chapter 1 won’t be finished this month, mainly because I keep having plot dilemmas over “should this happen early on?” “should I push this for later?” “is the player being railroaded?” I won’t create a WIP thread until I have the first 3 chapters locked and loaded, I think. march will be a busier month, considering my classes will be back AND I’m starting an internship. anyways!! we move :saluting_face:

7 Likes

Ok I’m going to link a friendly discussion that I had in another topic, that unintentionally made me write down how teleport works for some of my characters.

1 Like

Ha, yeah. Mine doesn’t, by design, have any limitations… if you’re willing to be taken over by an eldritch abomination.

2 Likes

Eldritch abomination? :thinking: Pfff… What about gifts from the angel of death? :skull:
:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: High five

2 Likes
I actually have a snippet of that, although it's a bit spoilery

”There’s too many of them,” Gauge shouted. ”We can’t keep doing this! Vortex, ’port us out of here!”

”No!" Vortex yelled back. ”Too m–”

”Either that, or we die!”

Vortex cursed under his breath. There was a real fear on his face, but then he shook his head in defeat. ”Ah, blast it all. Fine. Get here, and grab something. I need physical contact.”

You all formed a ring around him, catching each others’ hands, clothes, anything, while still staying in a ready stance in the fight.

Vortex grabbed two shoulders that were at arm’s reach and looked around. ”Ready?”

”Go!”

”I really suggest holding your breath for a few seconds.”

And with that, time and space curled into itself.

After a disorienting experience, that lasted a second or a century, you found yourself back at the safehouse, no worse for the wear from the impromptu transporting. There was clear relief hanging in the air, while everyone checked themselves for damage.

And then, a small strangled noise, somewhere between gk and umph, and Vortex collapsed.

Startled, you all jumped back, and in an instant, there was a cleared area around his unconscious form.

Bleeding from the nose and ears. Fading from the edges. Shadows flickering and shuffling.

Neural blinked, then shrugged. ”He’ll be fine. Just… keep your distance and give him a moment.”

Fine? He’s not breathing!

”…yes. He does that.”

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I got stuck and need your invaluable advice!

The MC of my Hindu-Buddhist project is about to find out a very important secret about their alleged RO.

Who should tell the MC about it? (their Best Friend? Their enemy? Their mentor?) And how? (A lecture? A note? A monologue under the moonlight?)

Any advice is welcome, but most importantly I am looking for an idea that fits the mood of my project Last Dream best.

Thank you in advance, I will reward your invaluable advice with Italian Pizza. :pizza:

Well, since it’s Hindu-Buddist… how about a ritual by MC’s mentor to enter them into a dream sequence where they shall meet their RO and realise their secret? Something akin to aromatic oils, incense, calmness and stillness, body escaping the soul?

4 Likes

Their mentor, or another ally, should take them aside and tell them what’s going on with their RO. I admit I’m not familiar with your WIP, but what I just described is rather similar to how Krishna told Karna a very important secret (albeit about himself) in the leadup to the battle of Kurukshetra (in the Mahabharata).

2 Likes

Or receiving a vision?

1 Like

I know a little Korean, which is to say I took an intro to Korean class once and have a vague familiarity with the phonetics of the Korean alphabet. Don’t remember what any of the words mean or much grammar unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out.

Is there any trick to telling the phonetic difference between ‘o’ and ‘u’, ‘ae’ and ‘e’, ‘j’ and ‘ch’, and ‘wi’ and ‘ui’ characters, or is this just one of those things I need to have an ear for it?

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘trick’ cause I guess it just boils down to knowing what the vowels and consonants are supposed to be in same way you know that ‘a’ is pronounced the way it is.

Like the word ‘yes’ is a combination of the consonants ‘y’ and ‘s’ and the vowel ‘e’ goes in the middle of the word and forms the core of the pronunciation. So since the letter ‘y’ is first you start with that, then sound out the vowel ‘e’ and end with the ‘s’

Same goes for 나 which has the consonant ㄴ which is like an ‘n’ and vowel ㅏ which is like an ‘ah’ sound

1 Like

No, what I mean is, I can’t tell the difference between, say, the sound that ㅗ and ㅜ characters make when spoken. In your “yes” example, it’d be like if “yes” and “yis” (except those characters are ‘o’ and ‘u’ when romanised, but you know what I mean) sounded the same to me. I was wondering if there’s a trick I’m missing or I just need to develop a ear for whatever difference there might be.

Ahhhh okay okay get it. So as far as I’m aware the vowels have their pronunciation and there aren’t really any cases where they differ from that.

ㅏis always prunounced like ‘ah’ and ㅗ is always pronounced like ‘oh’.

What I’m saying is once you learn them you only need to learn them once. One day with like an online tutorial and you’ll have the hang of it.

1 Like

Guess I just need to keep pushing those lessons until I get an ear for it. Well, worse comes to worst I guess I have a 50% of getting it right. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, @vera , @Snowflower and @E_RedMark . I really love the vision/ecstatic idea.

Pizza for everyone! :pizza:

4 Likes

Sunday, day of long workshift. I’ll try a full immersion day the 28th (my free day) and see how it will go.

Can someone tell me why I put 7 different dragon races and 7+1 related clans? And why a 7 heads giant dragon? I even toyed briefly with 9 before set down with 7

1 Like

Because of the 7 deadly sins.

2 Likes

I love the parallel but no, nothing to do with the 7 deadly vices (in English is “sin” because dumb translation from Latin), the demonic part is left to vampires/vampyrism, lycanthropy/werebeasts and actual demons and devils. Also from what I remember, the apocalyptic beast has not 7 heads
Technically I don’t even have a dark lord, even if T. is close enough but not quiet.

2 Likes

Any tips for dealing with a ‘rewrite loop’? I seem to be stuck in one. I’ll draft a chapter, begin writing for it, and then fall into a hole halfway through. I step away from the work for a day or so, and then come upon an idea or framework that I tell myself would suit the story better. After the mourning of the thousands of words lost from the rewrite, I begin work on the new idea for the chapter only to get stuck again. This has happened three times now, and is causing a significant gap from when I intended to release the chapter and when it might be released. The core of the story never changes, just the ‘trimmings’. I would quite like to finish my current story before the heat death of the universe, if it were at all possible.

2 Likes