Endings and Sequels

Not the most recent seasons, it would seem. You have one character fall into a lake in armor and somehow pull themselves out to defy certain death, that’s fine. You do it twice …

1 Like

thats actually a good way to do things :slight_smile: much respect…

cose you are writting in a way , you leave an opening if the mood ever strike you to make a sequel . And at the same time , you are planning that the ending would be fufilling…without any shadow of any futur sequel .

the worst way to do thing , is write yourself in a corner…that you can’t or refuse to write on top of your mess…coughME3 endingcough

2 Likes

Haha that’s probably because HBO has taken over the production. I have a feeling GRR Martin would have just killed him off. (Like several other characters that still seem to be alive and well in the TV series but are no longer with us in the books. (Or had him come back as something really terrible. Have you read the books? Do you remember what he did to Catelyn Stark?)

Sorry for the thread derail-> sending it back to normal programming.

I think he earned a lot of cred for brutality with the early books, but by 4 and 5 it had become a series characterized much more by unlikely survivals than unexpected deaths. Our George is a big softy, really.

1 Like

I’m not a writer, but my gut says that if I ever had a personal game writing project that even becomes successful enough to possibly warrant it then I’d probably sacrifice sequel imports as I think it would be the best balance between preserving my own sanity and not overly cheapening some of the original endings and epilogues some players might be invested in.

1 Like

I guess it depends on the story. I’m going to make sure my MC could meet their demise in many different ways and that can’t be something you’ll import to the possible sequel.

1 Like

This is just my opinion, but here goes…

A sequel should be a new story. It might be set in the same world and follow the same characters, even the antagonist might be the same, but it has to be more than a continuation of the same story. A series of books can be beautifully inter-dependent with each installment setting up the next, and working together to tell a larger story. Or it can be a completely separate story about the same characters. Either way though each story has to be able to stand on it’s own.

With that in mind you should be able to find a way to give the choice of each story meaning, but still not burden yourself with an impossibly wide sequel right from the start.

Example of this done well

The original Mass Effect Trilogy did this so well. The whole trilogy was about Commander Shepard defeating the reapers. Same protagonist. Same setting. Each individual story in that series though had it’s own arc. The first one is about defeating Sovereign, and learning what the reapers actually are. The second one is about stopping the Collector threat, and buying time to fight the reapers. The final one, of course, is about actually destroying the threat once and for all.

Your choice carried over from game to game. (Mostly. I’m still mad about the Rachni Queen) But, because each entry was a new story on it’s own the choices from previous games didn’t completely divide the narrative of the sequels right from the start.

3 Likes