Dark Themes, Controversy and Why Meaning Matters

These are both extremely good points and I do agree with them both, but the point that I keep making is that, if there are controversial themes that HG don’t want to publish because it might negatively affect market projections (or for any other reason) then it is their responsibility to let the authors know what content is acceptable and what isn’t, so that that the author doesn’t waste several months (or years) of their life on a project that the company has no intention of publishing.

Again, just to make it extremely clear, I’m not saying that either CoG or HG fails to do this. In fact, I think they both do a very good job of letting the authors know what content they find acceptable and unacceptable.

Well, that’s true, I guess. Any publishing company has the right to refuse publication to any book/game for any reason and they have absolutely no obligation to even explain to the author why they were refused publication. I guess “professional” wasn’t really the right word to use in this instance… Not quite sure what the right word is, but I do not think that CoG/HG would deny publication to games containing a certain kind of content, without at least editting the guidelines to specify what sort of content they don’t want to see.

6 Likes