[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

I was trying to delete a new scene (still named ‘untitled’) from a project via the right-click menu and had this error:

Looks like an odd permissions error. Is it reproducible? Where is your projects folder?

Yes it is reproduceable; I tried it with two different project folders.

Location is just a folder under my username that I always use for ChoiceScript IDE project folders. (I’ve named it Username/Writing/[project_name], if that’s any help.) I’ve never had a problem deleting scene files from other project folders under this same parent folder before.

Definitely check your folder permissions… And you could try:

That sounds like a permissions error based on the warning/error you’re getting. Can you try running sudo chmod -R a+rwx based on the directory you’re working against and see if that works?

I checked the permissions, and it should be fine. (Plus, I was reading and writing to this folder an update or two prior without problems, and I haven’t made any changes.)

After extensive Googling a certain amount of Googling, I also tried running that command for the relevant directory, and then tried to delete the new scene file via CSIDE again. No dice; same error.

2 Likes

This is a permissions issue, but it’s within the package. Affecting MAC only, I hope. The manual fix is a bit of a faff, so I’ll try and push an update on dev shortly.

1 Like

v1.1.2 Update - Now Available on 'Development'

Small bug fix update.

v1.1.2 provides:

• Latest version of ChoiceScript (couple of bug fixes by the looks of it)
  • [bugfix] permission errors when deleting scenes on mac os
  • Basic support for updates on Linux
2 Likes

I discovered that I can ‘open file in CSIDE’ from the right-click menu (Mac, current OS), but then I get this:

v1.1.2? I’m not sure why it’s trying to compile on a request to open a file! Thanks for reporting this one.

Yes, v1.1.2; sorry, should have specified.

The error was when I tried to view/run the file, not when I tried to open it. It ‘opens’, or at least appears in the Scenes and Projects Tab; I just can’t access it. (Sorry, should have explained that too.)

If you hover over the error marker, is the path it’s displaying in the tooltip correct?

Well, yes, except that it has placeholder characters in for the spaces.

Interestingly, I can have both the ghost version and the proper file ‘open’ in the Scenes and Projects list at the same time:

That’s because files are opened and compared by their path (which will be unique), so the one with %20 encoding is a “different” file (and that’s why it can’t find it, it doesn’t actually exist). I’m not sure why that’s happening like that though.

1 Like

fiogan - are you sure there is the file in that directory

Yes; the same file, same directory, opened correctly when I used CSIDE’s ‘open scene/project’ button. It just won’t open properly if I right-click the file from Finder and use ‘open in CSIDE’. Thank you, though.

the problem with it not finding file is that it has replaced all spaces with %20 which is used in URLs. Why it is doing so is something that CJW would know.

2 Likes

I’m going to try and post occasional updates (and with luck, perhaps some more detailed blog posts on choicescriptide.github.io - every blue moon or so!), in order to keep users of CSIDE in the loop, and give an advance chance to comment/influence the direction of development.

Today I want to say that I’ve been working towards some accessibility improvements (screen reader support). Although it’s a really important development, it’s mostly behind the scenes, and difficult to demo here. That said, whilst making these improves there has been some opportunity to adjust the settings panel in-particular, both aesthetically and functionally.

Both types of changes are hopefully well captured by the screens below. Whilst not yet final, these changes include different selection methods for some of the settings (dropdown for updates, slider for font-size etc.), an increase in options for font-size: which now ranges from 8 - 16, with a step of 1, giving you a lot more flexibility than the four previous presets.

Please do feel free to comment on these changes (good, bad or neutral).

3 Likes

One suggestion: Please put a “CS-standard” option within the pre-formated changes.

The reason this is important is because while working on your project, it is good to know what your “output” will look like on the released platform app - the amount of space available on a smartphone limits the size of paragraphs, format-wise as an example, where if you take this fact into consideration while in production, your editing and post-production needs will be less.

If this doesn’t make sense, I’ll try to explain myself again.

1 Like

If you’re referring to font-size, don’t worry, this will only affect the visual aspect within CSIDE :slight_smile:
It won’t save font-size metadata, like Word and other Word Processors/Rich Text Editors do.

1 Like

The visual aspects within are exactly my concern. After manually adjusting things, I know how what I write in CSIDE will look upon release in the App stores. So, instead of a 10 paragraph wall of text that phone users get fatigue scrolling through, I can submit something that matches their ease-of-use concerns …

It is just a wish, because there are work-arounds available to accomplish my desire but if it is something not too dificult to implement, it would make production that much easier.