Before We Are Ghosts (WIP) - demo update 28 Apr 2023

I happened to stumble upon this WIP from the dashingdon page and am quite glad I did, the title caught my eye immediately. Your writing flows so smoothly, amazing so far. I don’t know why but this particular WIP instilled such a deep and weird feeling in my chest as I read it, unlike any before. The more I think about the MC and the writing, what they’re going through and what they will still have to overcome, the more my heart aches. Thank you so much for creating this project.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words, @EmperorKaruma ! I can only hope that I live up to those expectations when the time comes to write it.

On that note, I suppose this is as good a time as any to share some good news: the demo will be updated by the end of the week :tada: There will be 22k words of new content and a completely revamped stats screen! I’ve also created a timeline of events to make everything clearer, especially considering that the story references a fair bit of these background events.

See you all again soon!

27 Likes

The writing is pretty good and amazing also the characters are quite awesome…and i swear im gona have a mental breakdown with all the angst that’s coming :sob:

5 Likes

Of course! Based on what I’ve seen I’m sure you will, no worries :slight_smile: I’d suggest though to just keep writing without expectations in mind, I’m sorry if what I said put a bit of pressure on you!

I’m very excited for the update, can’t wait to see more of each character and the relationships between them and the MC. I will for sure be following your progress on this project, which I rarely do. Hell, I’ve even been thinking about creating content of my MC and the characters, once I get to know them more. Do you perhaps have tumblr?

1 Like

Having read the warnings, I know this story is gonna hurt. Ouch! Even more excited about it now

1 Like

Demo Update - 12 August 2022
:arrow_double_up: Link in the first post!

What’s new:

• completed chapter one, inclusive of 22k words of new content
  • a revamped stats screen
  • enhanced customization options
  • a comprehensive timeline of past events
  • a character guide

Total word count: 50k (+23k)
Word count per playthrough: 27k (+13k)

I hope you like it! If you enjoyed the read, it would mean a lot to me if you could share your thoughts. (◦’⌣’◦)

Coming next: chapter two
when the sun rises tomorrow (not every part of me will be there)

57 Likes

This update really had me in a somber mood. Im all happy and giddy that our Mc’s are back up with the living, but also sad knowing that now they’ve got to deal with their own mortality and the fact they’re death clock is on overdrive (also the biggest crime is not being able to go to the opening of the museum)

I think this picture best explains how most of our mc’s are feeling rn
Update:hate mobile auto correct

18 Likes

I really love your writing so far. I enjoy storys that give me the feels and not many do but you have a real talent for expressing emotion onto your writing. I can’t wait for more

5 Likes

I actually think that this demo undeservedly flies under the radar for so many people. I can understand why people can overlook it or drop it (the similarities with the other project - but your books holds well on its own; or linearity, but it’s still early), but still. I hope it will get more attention later.

10 Likes

"Because night was beautiful. Night was peace.

And there was a kind of tranquility, to bask in its hold.

For there was a spellbinding kind of allure, to be awake when everyone else has long since gone to sleep; when the world is silent in the only way the stars can be."

I am simply in love

3 Likes

If you don’t mind us pointing out typos, and if you do please tell me. But I noticed a typo when we’re reading a flashback of MC and the twins. “ggaze”, the double gs of course

“The heart may forget some things, but it will remember what is important.” You meet his eye, ggaze unwavering. “I will always be your friend. Don’t you ever doubt that.”

found: Silver feels a headache build behind his temples. (his=her)

found: Silver feels something click in his mind. “What?” the question is quiet, uttered by both she and Vero. (his=her)

1 Like

Therss a pronoun issue. It changed from her to him back to her

I definitely enjoyed the update, I have to go back and get everyoens reaction to waking up cause so far I’ve only read Vero’s. It also felt like everyone is putting up a front for MC’s sake (right now anyway) so I can’t wait for interactions and their thoughts about everything.

I am so ready for the angst

3 Likes

Not being able to see the opening of the museum is the worst. Ack- Imagining the group waiting for Lifeline to finally say something, anything, and when they finally do it’s,

“Guess I wont be here for the opening…” already resigned and full of acceptance

At first they’ve got no idea what Lifeline is talking about, but they still don’t want to think about them not being here anymore. When they realize, they’re wrecked with even more guilt. The museum would showcase their legacy, and though Lifeline isn’t officially a member of Blackbird, they knows how important it is them. They know too that Lifeline has been looking forward to witnessing their friends’ legacies, being part of it.

Anyway, dies.

2 Likes

Man… I’m sad now.

1 Like

@TechNote and that picture made me sad too…

@Supporter thank you for your support! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Truthfully, the current linearity was a conscious choice. Chapter One in my plans progressed very differently - there was supposed to be an entire investigation arc, with clue-specific branching. I got up to 10k words for this, when I felt that it was dragging the “backstory” unnecessarily, as I didn’t like the idea of “extra content and branching with character interactions for the sake of branching and word count”.

Because primarily, the story I want to get into is about the entire concept of time; of death, and how one deals with it. I wanted to get into it without unnecessary filler events - so I made the executive decision to cut the entire arc and write what you now see instead.

Chapter Two is where I plan to introduce much more branching, since it’s where the story will speak true to its name.

And thank you for your kind words too! I do know the subject matter also is… likely not something that vibes with many people, but I’m glad that you’re one of them :purple_heart:

@EmperorKaruma @E_RedMark @K_T thank you for the bugs! Yes, I would really appreciate any bugs or spelling errors.

Spelling errors were the reason I had to drop an entire character…

They certainly are indeed, for now!

I’m sorry that more of it will come…

17 Likes

This is pretty good, i can see the obvious inspirations and all but it is still worth a good read!

I love this so good the empathy power is pretty lame but I LOVE the mc even more bc of it

We will be able to choose how our MC react to his impending doom? Like for example I made a really caring MC, but after hearing the he will die he became very wrathful.

3 Likes