August 2021's Writer Support Thread

My starting August goals:

• Forge ahead with Project Two – complete the “Social” scene.

• Start the rewrite of Project One, based on the feedback I receive.

21 Likes

Congratulations @JimD , Chris, and Eddy! I still cannot believe I published my first hosted game! :partying_face: I am still enjoying the moment, I cannot focus on anything right now. :dizzy:

21 Likes

And congratulations to you. @Gilbert_Gallo My favourite pirate in Melee.

6 Likes

Congratuations on everyone on their recent launches!

It’s my birthday in August so I’m looking forward to that :partying_face:

I did my Chapter 3 and 4 revisions for Royal Affairs in July and have outlined and coded Chapter 5. My August goals are to:

• get Chapter 5 drafted!
  • outline something that’s very new and unknown currently
  • carry on trying to secure a new game writing/narrative design day job, which is going OK so far. I’ve got a few very decent leads but it’s not the most fun thing to get up to. My CoG work is a lovely thing to occupy myself with :heart:
25 Likes

That’s a hard one. Still fully in holiday mode. I think

• Proofread Fallen Hero 2 to where it’s at now :white_check_mark:
  • Pick up writing on the Halloween game again (super in season in the middle of summer…)
8 Likes

Hi again! I’ve barely written anything the past month or so, but I’m excited to finally get back to it! (After I catch up on some sleep, of course) :zzz:

The last two weeks have been very stressful. I created a six-minute 2D animation for my final project, and I was very excited because I thought I could make a trailer for my WIP. Unfortunately it got approved very late, and it needed to have an actual story, so the next best thing would be to create the prologue instead. (Here’s some screenshots if anyone’s interested)

It’s complete, but it needs an awful lot of polishing before it’s presentable. It’s not terrible, but it’s incredibly rushed. I’m not sure if I can do that in the near future, so now I’m having second thoughts about sharing it like I originally planned. And I’m not gonna lie, a huge part of my motivation was to get more people interested in my WIP. Maybe I’ll make a proper trailer someday…

Right now, my plan for August is to just get the next update out (the sooner the better) and then focus on more important stuff.

Good luck to everyone with their projects!

14 Likes

This month is going to be a ride. I’m finally able to go back to work (yay!) but I’m still not going to actually get paid until the end of the month (boo!), so that’s a good thing. :money_with_wings:

My goals for this month:

• Flesh out concept for what I’m going to short hand refer to as Plant Project; I’m very excited about it and to be working on something more long form.
  • Prep some more poetry for submission to some more publication contests.
  • At least 5k words in my initial project that I’ve been working on since June.

I have some personal goals that are also going to take up a fair amount of my time this month so I’m trying to be realistic about how much time I have to dedicate to writing. Like July, I’d like to be able to end the month knowing that I did as much as I could every day.

10 Likes

Lets start the month with a short poem that I made a while back.

I’d file in a mile, to see your smile.
I’d cross twenty plains, to chain your pains.
I’d die in the sky, to see your eye.
I’d dart apart, to heal your heart.

I’d sail seven seas, to see your smile.
I’d make it rain, to drain your pains.
I’d spy nearby, to see your eye.
I’d make a fresh start, to heal your heart.

And by the way, my August goals are…

• Write at least 500 words a day.

• I have been fiddling around with the same part in my game for way too long, so this month I just want to. FINISH. IT.

I hope you have a great month, and happy birthday if you’re born in August :partying_face:

15 Likes

Had a really bad mental health month last month, but I started picking it up at the end. All that behind me though, this months goals!

• Get Scene 2 of Chapter Two finished, edited, and pushed out in the demo.
  • Extra goal - Completely finish Chapter Two and push it through in the demo

Good luck on your goals this month everyone, and congrats to every person who released a game last month!

12 Likes

Going a bit easy this month since there’s a chance of me going back to school physically in September. When that happens, I’ll have to find a way to balance writing and school.

Given the spike in positive COVID cases and the mediocre vaccination rate in my country, I don’t really see it happening, but it’s always good to be prepared.

August 2021 Goals

Write for 20 minutes every day. Doesn’t matter if it’s one sentence or 1k words, as long as I sat down and wrote for at least 20 minutes, then it counts.
Finish detailed outline of my current project, which should be at least 80% of the story.
Finish the alpha demo aka second draft of the first chapter.

I recently read Stephen King’s On Writing. It was a pretty good read - I’ve never read his books before because I’m a chicken, but I’ve always wanted to read Carrie. I like the way he talks in this book and at conventions - very cool-grandfather vibes.

I especially liked the final words of the book:

Writing is magic, as much as the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink. Drink and be filled up.

Happy writing, everyone :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Imagining writing 1000 words in 20 minutes :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Cats do it all the time. If our feline overlords can do it, why can’t we? :wink:

6 Likes

Congratulations to those who launched last month!

And hi everyone - I’m new to the forums, though I’ve been lurking for a few months. My main goals for August are to share my first WIP, and to make steady progress on my project every day. The allure of worldbuilding/notes/outlining is great, but I need to double down and write regularly, so hopefully putting this thought out into the universe will give me the push I need to hold myself accountable to that!

14 Likes

Happy August everyone!

I joke with my cowriter that it’s Bestmonth because we’re both August kids, but sadly the climate never bears out this assertion.

Anyway! Slightly rolled-back writing goals for this month:

• 20k words on Asphodel
  • Finish coding in Asphodel’s new conversational indicators system.
  • 10k on Diaspora

Hopefully all of these are doable.

Best of luck to everybody with their writing goals this month, and congrats to everyone who released a game! I’m so happy for y’all. :dizzy:

12 Likes

August goals:

1. Write, and finish, chapter 2 of my thesis;

2. correct chapter 1 (if my prof. is not too busy with his summer vacation);

3. Start chapter 3;

4. (maybe) write something to recover from thesis burn out, maybe some character sheets

PS happy summer vacation :sunglasses: to anyone who can afford and enjoy them not me

10 Likes

My goal for august is to start writing again. I haven´t done it for a long time and it is time to start. So my goal for august is:

• Actually decide on one idea and stick to it.
  • Make a basic outline. I am too much of a pantser to make a fully detailed outline, but I need to write the major plotpoints down, instead of just having them vaguely in my head.
  • Decide on which character can and cannot make it into the story - at least initially.
  • Decide on basic stats and how they will work.

Be sure to post on this forum to give myself some motivation.
Work a little each day.

12 Likes

On Writing is terrific. But if you’re not into horror and suspense, he has some milder stuff out there. I would recommend Hearts in Atlantis, it’s one of my favorites and, while it is occasionally a bit suspenseful, it’s not overly disconcerting.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption might be good too. The book that novella came in, Different Seasons, is full of classic stuff, but some of the others might be a bit much if you want to avoid rough stuff (Apt Pupil, for example).

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I have not written much last month as I got some new clients that kept me quite busy. (not complaining)

I hope I can make my June goal this month: finishing Tuesday’s storyline.

And hoping for the best writing for all of you!!

10 Likes

Hi everyone! I’ve very new to ChoiceScript (literally got started today) and my main goal for this month is to just start writing again. I used to write a lot and then just… stopped. For a really long time. Like, a REALLY long time

Even if it’s 10 words a day, I’m going to make sure I write every single day this month.

Good luck to all of you and here’s hoping I have something to show for it at the end of the month!

12 Likes

Right, it’s August!

:tada: Congrats to everyone on their releases!
:birthday: Happy birthday to August babies!

July Report:

• Constantly can’t get in touch with my work, for a whole month only done about 1-2k words (excl. cmds).
  • :confetti_ball: Congratulations for myself, on finally getting my WIP demo out. Here’s the link: Home: Let’s Go Back.

August goals:

• Keep on writing on the minimum of 5k words (not too grandiose like last month’s goal), because the new semester coming this month, so I won’t have much time.
  • Keep on updating my WIP at least twice a month (ready for the first update on 5th or 10th August).
12 Likes