A Tale of Heroes (WIP) - 218k words. Updated 12/17/2023 with Chapter 6: Part One!

At least Mars is cute, funny, sexy and also scarily smart. So for my mc it would be an improvement.

You mean he’s a world leader? Really almost any of the world leaders around right now often do similar things…it’s just that in the game world the stakes of a miscalculation are even higher cuz superpowers…in addition to MAD.

Also sidestepping the part about mc and Lat or aren’t they seen as members by this point either?

1 Like

I think they weren’t mentioned as in the original post it was brought up in, it was clear Gloria wanted to try and convince you and by extension convincing the MC to join up would also bring in Lat because of their friendship, and in the grand scheme of the league they’re like the mail room in terms of hierarchy.

1 Like

One supposes MC and Lat haven’t been part of the League for long enough for Gloria to get good enough intel on them.

I wonder if the League’s deal with the government stipulated having to put up specifically with Dark Star or just anyone indicated by the government. I’m hoping it’s the former, just so the whole thing gets put to a vote and I can tell Mars to fuck off for knowing Gloria is going to endanger civilians like that and doing jackshit about it.

2 Likes

Eh, my mc likes Mars personally and he certainly doesn’t want DarkStar back as that would mean having to work with two rotten teammates, instead of just Forlorn.

Eh, I guess in my mc’s case that would depend more on how things with Forlorn and Lat shake out. I may not be impossible under the very specific circumstance where my both has even more reason to take the punk down and believes he’d stand an actual chance against Forlorn.
Which is to say it is a bit unlikely as my mc tends to follow Lat, rather than the other way around, unless Forlorn is going to become even more of a berserk button than he is now and the mc’s power levels rise far enough.

2 Likes

Hey fair enough, in my own personal head cannon if things with the league don’t work out my MC is hopping out to his country of origin and making do there.

2 Likes

I’m still hoping for door number three, the one where I don’t have to put up with either shitty teammate for any prolonged amount of time.

This. If not the country of origin, I bet Crete pays well.

6 Likes

If the cost is being a slave of the King/queen whatever it is it is not worth it. Again the Queen may have been more enlightened than most…for her time…but she was still a product of it and it is clear she was just as ruthless as most other nobles of the time in dealing with dissent and meting out punishments, even if her distaste for slavery was an undeniably big pro.

1 Like

I absolutely love how you manage to contradict yourself in the same paragraph.

Death for people espousing slavery is actually well and good, thanks. More of that, please. Also, reminder that the US government already tried to kill you, and absolutely would keep trying if you didn’t join the League. That sounds a lot like slavery to me.

2 Likes

Being a noble of the King and queen in those days would have felt like slavery to the modern western person accustomed to freedom of speech…it would not have felt like slavery to most people of that era who did not tend to speak their minds in front of their betters anyway. It’s severe values dissonance more than outright slavery, but like many rulers the queen seems to like yes-men and in many regards the King was the biggest one.

And that is the queen, it is pretty much acknowledged that the King at this point is someone with no meaningful moral compass or ethical code, just the tattered remnants of what the Queen once said and that is at least a millennium out of date.

1 Like

The Queen isn’t about yes-men (the King totally is one, though, but not because she’s queen) - the dude who we got the journal snippets of told the Queen multiple times “actually, I think you should do this instead” (with varied degrees of success) and he was the third-in-command, right after the Monarchs. It’s just that he wasn’t shitty enough to go “you know a great solution for all our problems? SLAVERY!”.

1 Like

Gonna be honest, it sound like a very funny reason to continue a war / commit mass murder when you put it like that.

I guess that’s why heroes tend to have ‘no kill’ rules, so they can go through a whole enemy army without the reader being hit by the ‘wait, they just slaughtered thousands of people who were virtually no threats right now’ realization. Make it a lot easier to keep the moral highground.

5 Likes

And also so writers can reuse villains without having to constantly justify why Superman doesn’t just rip Luthor’s head off after the n’th time he commits an atrocity.

4 Likes

Not exactly. Lat/the MC are relatively new, and they have been kept somewhat out of the political spotlight, so Gloria doesn’t have much to make a judgment, or to believe you’re predisposed against the government.

Mars, on the other hand, is Mars. Gloria thinks his loyalty is (while not beyond question) strong enough that he doesn’t need to try and convince him to stay on his side. Besides, if Mars was gonna object to anything, he’d have already done it under Stratton, wouldn’t he?

One thing to note (separate from Gloria) is that Crete is a republic, and it has been one for nearly 300 years. Even if they greatly respect the King/Queen, that doesn’t give them any official authority. The Cretan Republic is perfectly content to chart its own path.

The King has seemingly stayed out of Crete’s affairs beyond ‘keeping it safe’ and protecting the Queen’s Tomb as well. Only one of Crete’s presidents has met the King, and that wasn’t because of the King.

Naturally, there’s the argument that the King doesn’t care to govern since he only did it for the Queen anyway, and that he may change his mind if the Queen ever returns.

On the other hand, the King has shown he’ll destroy anyone that so much as puts a hand on Crete. Maybe it would be a good idea to join Crete’s protection, so he doesn’t feel the immediate need to sink Florida a decade before climate change does…

Edit:

It’s an unspecified liaison. Dark Star could get swapped with Gloria himself, assuming the government ever wanted that.

6 Likes

@Jjcb where is Gloria actually on the political scale. Not when he has to defend American hegemony or our imperial institutions that benefit the nation.

7 Likes

Bummer, it’s government stooges all the way to the end.

Unlikely to happen, barring brain damage.

Joke’s on you, I like craters, good protection from chill winds.

1 Like

Trust the American, Gloria’s good for us.

Attitudes like this is why we semi-jokingly say it’d have been funnier if Russia was actually scarier. That way when Stratton wins the election again you’d all be running around like headless chickens.

Your loss, enjoy the Iberian Peninsula being a crater.

Unironically?

Probably somewhere decent.

I’ll stay out of talking about economics because that’s basically an alien language to me, but:

• LGBTQ+ people must not only get equal rights, but said rights should be defended by the law until the people grow to fully accept them.

• Homelessness is a poison, and instead of continuing to build dozens upon dozens of high-rise buildings, the government should concentrate on getting affordable housing for those less able. It’s the commons that prop up America.

• The Confederates were nothing but traitors. It is the job of the American educational system to fully and entirely present them as such and disprove the myths of the Lost Cause. As far as Gloria’s concerned, Lee/Bragg/Jackson should have no statues, and be written about the same way that any other wartime enemies of America are.

• The years following WW2, America was built up by immigration. It’s foolish how much screeching the establishment does about it.

• The only thing isolationism does is hurt America. It’s a dumb policy.

• Climate change is real, and the more squabbling there is done about whether to tackle it or not, the more of us that’ll drown.

And a few other things that are less seemingly important. Gloria is a socially progressive, forward-thinking man that’s not shackled by the outdated ideas of his predecessors. His age means that he is far more ‘in’ when it comes to the populace’s wants and desires, and has more reason to give it to them. In most scenarios, he’s a golden president, fit to be in the company of people like FDR, LBJ, and the rest of the ‘greats’.

8 Likes

It’s a shame that America’s most accepting and progressive president of the modern age is likely going to turn it into a crater

1 Like

Don’t forget that back in the day, violence was a hella risky subject for comics. That’s why ya never see any blood in the old old comics. I’d like to think that the ‘POW’! screen cards and stuff were made specifically to mask actual punches but I have literally no evidence for this so eh

1 Like

This depends on what day you mean when you say “back in the day”. The whole thing (and comics in general) was absolutely neutered by the CCA, but before that violence in comics was pretty commonplace. Batman shot people. Dead.

3 Likes