Zork in CS

So I was wondering if there’d be any issue with me making a straight up Zork clone in CS? Or for that matter, any interest in such a thing. To be clear, it would be purely a for fun project to be shared around for those interested. I don’t think it’d be a problem, especially since the code for the original game is out there and you can play it online for free.

I’d sooner see an original idea using Zork’s mechanics than a straight carbon copy, I mean if we can already play it online for free, what benefit is there to a CS version?

@CJW Mostly as a coding exercise than anything.

I’d definitely like to see it.

What is ‘zork’?

@JLBH Zork is a really old computer game that was of the first interactive fiction games. Check out the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork

@JLBH ?! Guess your to young, Zork is legendary, google it. :slight_smile:

I thought about it myself @fantom but I agree with @CJW it would need to be original content to be worth while.

Hmmm, I guess I’ll have actually play Zork, then. Lol

I had suggested the same thing a while back. Still a great idea, you’ll need a lot of choices I think for the same effect

take an item
-Bag of peppers
-Bottle of water
Move
-East
-West
-up
Examine
-bag
-bottle
-all inv. items
check inventory
read
-leaflet
-playing manual
open
-bag
Etc.
But I hope you write it. I’ve wanted to see this for awhile. I think it would be worthwhile on its own or with new content, but it might be easier to do with new content because if you do the first, then you’d be expected to do the sequels.

Why Zork?

I found Zork intensely frustrating and I can’t even remember if there was a story to it. I loved the idea of text adventures, not so much in actual practice though. Zork’s under copyright, it’s not freeware.

If you want the challenge of making a text adventure into choicescript perhaps look for something that is in the public domain.

@FairyGodfeather I was thinking of Zork mainly due to its general popularity. Also, the original MIT Zork is public domain, where areas Zork I and subsequent title are owned by activision. Not that it matters much, since I’ve more or less decided to something original but in the same vein.

I was playing Zork this morning and remember why I hated it lol. It is a great way to waste time and can be a bit fun. But still to limiting and at times boring.

It sounded interesting. Then I read guys from MIT made it. This made me less interested. Then I saw it had sequels. I’m done.

Don’t be so jealous, @Talon5505

Parsers are so annoying, I can’t believe they even exist. Instead of pounding in words in a desperate attempt to get a response that may or may not be what you intended, there should just be choices.

Pfft, I just started playing again and I got this:

unlock grating
What do you want to unlock it with?
leaflet
Can you unlock a grating with a leaflet?
yes

@Aquos_Boost That made me laugh more than it probably should have.

@Samuel_H_Young, I actually like parsers. Just because one type of if is easier doesn’t mean the other should be used as cannon fodder…

I’ve been thinking of this myself, pretty much from the day I first discovered choice script. I was a huge fan of this type of game, way way back. :slight_smile: It could be done and I think CS would hold up well. More limiting than a parser, but that’s not a bad thing. It would make a fun puzzle game.

At their best parsers are wonderful, and the world in text adventures are wonderfully immersive. You can look at everything, you can play around with weird and strange combinations and be surprised when you hit on something you never expected in a way that never happens with choicescript.

The parser is so much more flexible than choices are. You can’t just pause to look at things in choice games, to examine them in fine detail, to just sit back and smell the roses.

That said the sheer amount of commands is overwhelming for me and I frequently wrestle with knowing the right thing to type. I know what I want to do but getting the game to understand me and do it is a whole other matter.

I like the simple ones though.