Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, Part 3 - releasing 3/3/2022

Regarding the Teen’s parents, I don’t think one should have a say in story on whether they survived (it’s not like this is something the MC could feasibly decide, as I don’t think it’s good game design for RPG MCs (without such powers) to subjectively influence objective in game reality beyond their own character customization stage ), but rather whether they choose to actively seek them out.

2 Likes

Yes he can die.

1 Like

I have couple of points regarding chapter 8 where we meet Eli and Kevin.
First point is that we have two different scenes with Kevin from which one where he shares his personal secret and ask you to assign him to any task and sort of reconcile with MC happen automatically after sometime, whereas the other one is by choice where you talk with Eli and Kevin to stay at the junkyard in which he is v rude and hostile with us. The issue is that of continuity in case where we don’t choose the talk to Eli option first up as then we have a sequence where Kevin has reconciled with us in a prior scene and later he is hostile. It might be plausible to make “meet Eli about staying” scene a prerequisite for all other options for the flow of story

Second point is that even after Kevin tell us to assign him tasks his name doesn’t come up in the list where we can assign him a task

As a P.S is there anyway to know where every member have settled in the Junkyard? And shouldn’t there be less options for a MC who didn’t prioritize looking for a place with all best places taken up?

3 Likes

How can he die cause I remember doing this and now I can’t do it again

1 Like

It’s easy. Don’t tie the rope to the top of the hill or help the old lady get up.

2 Likes

I think you have to not protect the nephew and then have the group do not too well in the hill fight in part 2.

1 Like

So might act as feedback or a question but how does Laurel come into play? I get caught my Murphy, look at vent, Ray appears, open vent, beat Murphy to death with flashlight and next thing Laurel and Reilly are eating food? Either I totally missed there this person was introduced or there a quick intro. I sort of missed it.

Also:

1. In the Junkyard, we can introduce our nephew to Ray. There is a conversation between them of sorts but Ray is only a figment of our delusions. Was this just the nephew playing along or…?
  2. In the Agricultural place, there is an option to take a servernet? I don’t think that was meant to be there.
3 Likes

Nephew was definitely just playing along he only “interacts” with Ray when MC chides him for being rude.

5 Likes

Thank you for your answer! While I was smooching myself though the zombie apocalypse, I noticed that in some of the already implemented romance scenes, the game assumes that a non-binary MC has a penis. This happens with Brody, and if you are submissive to Jillian. Given that that’s not the case for every non-binary person, maybe this could also be something to look into when you implement the other romance scenes?

7 Likes

So this is a question about the end of the demo just to give a fair warning Is Gina and Church scripted to die?

1 Like

Unfortunately, yes

1 Like

Is Driver scripted to die, I know Gina and Church are (shame on Church I was a fan) but I wasn’t sure on Driver

1 Like

Believe so. It’s unlikely you could do anything to save either three unless Jim changes it.

Also out of curiosity: what happened to Zombie Joe? I usually choose to try and use him from research but he’s not in the demo (that I can remember).
Same goes with Puddles the cat. Is it still alive as well? :joy: I’m really serious about the animals.

I also was curious…if there potentially be an option to have someone watch Eli to some degree. I think it would be a way for a manipulative MC to sort of prevent any sort of troubles with Eli. You would think they might think that it might lead to some troubles if left unsupervised.

@JimD Regarding the deaths issue,

I agree death needs to be part of the game to avoid it going stale and to keep the blood pumping so to speak but it doesn’t have to be an either or scenario.

What people seem to rebel against is scripted deaths. Make it so that no matter what x amount of people will die but our decisions decide who.

If you want to reduce the romance-able options then you can just remove some at a certain point like if Bailey survives then she is saved by x who she instantly falls in love with or is wounded and traumatized and doesn’t want to be romantic for a long while so they break things off and become unavailable.

Regarding the group relationships I’m not talking about your standard relationships tracker like with the MC. Just a count function for the times working together on ASSIGNMENTS. So for example, at camp in chapter 2 if you assign 2 people to do a task, say Lopez and Rosie, as just the two of them it adds 1 to the RosieLopez variable. If rosielopez = 2 then they are friends, if less than 1 then they are unfriendly. At romance points where you mention who is with who you use a function to see which relations have the highest rating, and if tied randomly select (within interest options), and use those results for the name placement on your group member romance points. You can use the same rosielopez variable for non romance points where either they are fighting (-allegiance or morale) or working together (+allegiance or morale)

Regarding the zombie generator, the zombie “cultivation” option would have to remove the effects of the moans and concerns of the zombie attacking though. So the barbaric effect would need to be addressed separately. Whether or not it’s a single hit or reoccurring could depend on the humanity of the player in that if they have high humanity and do this they can cover up the zombie to hide the gruesomeness of it.

Granted I haven’t written the code and don’t have your notes so it could be a lot to change just thought I would spitball with you.

7 Likes

Yes, definitely. Thank you for pointing that out.

He’s still going to be useful in Part 3. I just haven’t gotten around to implementing all of the things you can use them for, not like the zombie generator or using him during Benton’s interrogation.

It’s an interesting idea. I can add a scene where you discuss this with other survivors in your group.

4 Likes

I don’t mind these kinds of discussions of course. I have such a long wish list of things to implement, it’s hard to say which I will have time to work on or not. I have a goal to finish all development on Part 3 by the end of April, so things are getting very down to the wire.

Sorry for not replying to the sooner. I agree that I need to fix the continuity. I definitely need to also add Kevin to the task list.

This is a great idea, and I will implement it.

11 Likes
Notes on the rest of the chapter.

At the dance, I saw Kevin dancing happily with Madison, but when I went to ask him to dance with me (right after that), he was holed up in the garage, and needed a lot of coaxing to agree to dance, running off right afterwards. I guess it’s not impossible that he’d act like that, but it seems like it would warrant some comment if he did.

Similarly, the nephew is clearly messing around at the dance earlier, but will refuse if you ask him depending on his dep_humanity level. (Note: I see that this value is automatically set to 0 and doesn’t appear to be altered during the skip to chapters 8 and 9; would it make sense to have it set to 50 or to be equal to the MC/group’s humanity instead?)

I’m not entirely sure how to think about the reveal regarding the teenager’s parents… :confused: But I would certainly suggest letting the player choose how to feel about the development. :thinking:

To the left of the building are two clear, semi-cylindrical buildings, and each is labeled “Greenhouse Pinky” and “Greenhouse Brain”.

This seems to imply that both greenhouses have both names… :sweat_smile: Maybe this would be better:

…two clear, semi-cylindrical buildings, labeled “Greenhouse Pinky” and “Greenhouse Brain”.

• Let the man go without his weapons and gear.
  • Let the man go with his weapons.

Would it make sense to add in an option to let him go without his weapons, but with everything else? :confused:

Any celebration is short lived as you hear a bell from the inside ring, and the infected move to the reception area. The lead one pauses, sniffing the air, then catches sight of you. With a howl, it heads in your direction, the other one hot on its heels. The infected are moving swiftly, and you only have time to enact one course of action.

There are only two undead here, right? :thinking: Would it make sense to clarify that in the text?

Flashlight (1 roll).

I don’t think flashlights come in rolls… :sweat_smile: (In the lab’s offices.)

I tried to hack the computer in the lab and got this:

As you try to override the system, the screen goes dark, and the machine powers down. When you try to reboot it, however, the computer stays off, keeping its secrets to itself.

…but then just got into the menu anyway.

The microscope only adds a single slot to the inventory space, but it says it takes up three.

That’s when you do a double take and realize it’s

The sentence just cuts off; it looks like the skip to chapter 8/9 doesn’t set any of the neighbours as met when it sets the starting location. :thinking:

“He’s gone, killed by Reilly. During his escape, Reilly killed the scientist, whose name was Murphy.”

This seems like a very awkward way of putting it; “He’s gone, killed by Reilly.” would work fine. If you need his name known, you could work it into the previous paragraph: “The scientist – Murphy – didn’t hurt us…” or something similar to that. :thinking:

3 Likes

Whatever happened to Rosie and Driver? I can’t seem to remember.

Haven’t found anything low/high level but found a mid-level I figured I should point out

“The three of you huddle near the window and keep clear of the poisonous glass. Reilly’s eyes and nose are watery and burning, and after a coughing fit, he seems able to breathe again. His lungs burn, and you’re not sure of the long-term effects.”

I think it’s meant to be poisonous gas?

Can’t wait till this is finished! Both of your other games in this series are some of my favorite CoG/HG games! Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

7 Likes