Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven General Discussion (Part 3 beta coming in December)

I as role player don’t choose in base of what i get I choose in base of what choices affect my character growth and personality and backstory. Maybe you could create a sory what your choice is go to base maybe is because Your character is a patriot maybe is because is ruthless and want scavenging stuff or stolen a intel data to joining a hacker group.

I am saying this to give ideas as there are so many character possibilities. I personally love hacker soldier alcoholic short fuse with a dog Anarchy and giving data to hackers a really trilling Jason Bourne experience

4 Likes

Basically the “date” options are ways to start the story if you either don’t have profession-centric option or don’t want to constantly choose said option.

While I would have liked to meet either date option, in reality you basically meet up for the first time… and five minutes later zombies show up. It’s not exactly “the notebook”.

1 Like

I think the date was only for flavour txt, to give us a hint on the life at the eve of zombie exodus…
So most probably should get more weapons and supplies… but we have more chance to do so later… hence it won’t matter, depend on your feel about the situation :wink:

Is that a actual rule?

Considering that a number of us have played the game numerous times with numerous characters, I say it’s been a great job myself.

Heck, I’ve probably memorized the first part of the story word for word at this point from how much I played it, but it still feels just as engaging as the first time I read Safe Haven. I have a blast playing through each of the backgrounds with characters of varying personalities and how it shapes the story in its own way.

This is probably random on my part, but how Safe Haven starts reminds me of how Dragon Age Origins begins (I mean that in a good way).

I remember back when I was a kid when I first discovered some choose-your-own adventure stories in my teacher’s bookshelf. I remember just being blown away by the idea of reading a story where I choose the character’s course of actions and having it effects the way the story goes. I also remember that I was often given only a few choices each page (3 was always the highest it would ever go, but it more often that two choices would be presented to the reader) and how the character wasn’t often a blank slate, but how that did little to lessen my enjoyment of them.

Years later, when I got into video games, I came across the RPG genre and was instantly hooked because the ones I got into reminded me of those stories I used to sit down with in my teacher’s room with it’s own little twist. Suddenly I was there controlling the action and seeing the events visually play out in a almost episodic manner unless I got into a binge play and was really adamant about beating that boss. And even later from then, Telltale games reminded me of what made me love that RPG genre in the first place and I discovered Choice of Games not long after by chance.

I still remember those stories I indulged in as a kid and I’m pretty impressed with how far they are able to go now. Suddenly, I can shape my characters in a deeper manner and stories can be part of a series. So honestly, the amount of branching many of the stories have and availabile character shaping choices have offered (including @JimD’s Zombie Exodus) amazes me even now.

9 Likes

Lol we are twins separate at birth or something :hugs: Same background my friend role-playing players united :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Well… the Original Zombie Exodus and Safe Have both have their distinguish flavour and advantage , both are destined for a memorable journey of my character…

Original Zombie Exodus had that sense of “Forlorn Hope” ( I borrow it from the term in Infinity Series ), where it combined mystique with a sense a real urgency … mainly the MC start off alone, it had that lonely soldier boy feeling from the start where I need to wander the initial part of the story all too lonely ( even though i met with Mindy and Candice, they wander off after that ), and that encounter with Cassie in the playground was what hook me up in that mesmerising world between reality and fantasy, that was an eerie but bewitched scene in which i really imagining the scene of seeing a little girl playing there and when i reach her, she just ran away …seemingly helping me out in avoiding some zombie , it was such a classical suspense movie scene … meeting up with Heather and Emma was like reaching a haven to join with your soul mates and the subsequent running was what it took for an apocalyptic story :slight_smile:

I do feel the original zombie exodus always portray a more somber end of the world plotline , with heart breaking incident , such as that cheer leader who i saved in the forest but had to watch her turn into zombie , before pulling the trigger and bury her … The Heather romance was unique in a way , where although we had a child but it wasn’t the happy ending i want… and the worse ending could be Mindy , where in some epilogue , she ran off with her own crusade but being captured and endure a terrible fate before turn into an entirely different ant–hero who refuse to come back to me…

Not to mention , the Cassie revealing with Emma … where i really think about what she said , on how she had been accompanying us to protect us since we were small, what it feels like to keep watching us without passing on to her next life …and her question about whether Emma still need her company made me thoughtful for quite some time, i was thinking actually " what about me ? why didn’t you ask about whether i need you to be around ? " :-):sweat_smile:

Safe Haven gives me a whole new dimension of the franchise , where the mood is more upbeat … since i have a chance to form the survival group in a happy family style , the characters i met mostly had positive mood on how to carry on their life in a defiant mood, which indirectly also made me feel good even when i should be in a somber mood … a chance to extend a helping hand to Jillian, the twins , Kelly , Tommy, Lopez, Gina, Dante and Bailey made me have a sense of purpose to continue this journey even though it was a wild ride … yeah and the encounter and recruiting of Driver and Rosie was always fun and wild , not to mention i had to make everyone acceptable to their recruiting …

Part 2 is totally a memorable “Family Building” vacation in the forest which i enjoy so much , setting up tents, cooking, setting up defensive parameters … going for a scavenging hunts were all an enjoyable adventure for me in apocalyptic world … and Safe Haven ultimately allow me to imagine a better hope of a future as compare to the Original Zombie Exodus :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It would be great if the app had a localised save feature. As i have about 60 saves from different parts with similar names. I always come back to this game and exodus and end up making a new char just to make sure everything is the way i want haha

4 Likes

Me and you have totally different views of zombie exdous safe haven. To me it’s you can’t trust nobody even in your own group mostly of because tom. Thats the great thing about this game pepole have so many different views of the mood and Jim your doing a great job I would die if tried what you do

3 Likes

Well good on you for not buckling to the majority’s demand and sticking to your guns. I’ve never really been able to understand this community’s extreme fixation on romance, so as longer as the character is well written (it’s from a Jim Dattlio game, so that’s a given), I’ll definitely be satisfied.

If that ain’t the dictionary definition of modest, then I don’t know what is.

4 Likes

I’ll wait until after I’ve played the whole game before I start calling the game more “upbeat” than it’s predecessor. I agree the mood is different but I think that has to do with how early on in the apocalypse it is while Exodus I think (someone please correct me if I’m wrong because I can’t remember the exact passage of time in this game) took place over months and maybe even years.

Again, I think this is because it’s really early on in the apocalypse and the characters haven’t really been tested by the horrors of this new world they’re now finding themselves in. In contrast to Exodus, where you saw this darker and more drastic change in characters as time went on, and life for them became harder resulting in them being damaged by the trauma they’ve experienced. But for most of the survivors in Safe Haven, they’re still the same people they were pre-apocalypse(for the most part)and don’t have as many emotional, physical and psychological “battle scars” as the Exodus Group. Which may possibly result in a lot of people having the belief that they will one day return to some semblance of the lives they had before thus causing them to be more “hopeful” or defiant as you put it. Which is completely different when dealing with the Exodus group who became weary, and battle hardened veterans in response to the increasing brutality of the world and possibly became disillusioned with that belief of the world being saved.(Yes, I know you can create a vaccine for the virus or get the Divine intervention ending.)I’m just saying, take those 2 out of the equation and look at everything the Exodus group has had to deal with, it seems easy to loose faith in the idea that you’d one day return to the life you had or anything resembling it (too me anyways.)

I can definitely relate to that, I’m really waiting for someone to snap in the group(right now I’m thinking it could be: Jaime, Church or Tommy maybe Rachel.) It doesn’t help that people might possibly be able to leave for another group in part 3…

Unless Safe Haven Characters can cross over to Deadzone where they would have been dealing with the apocalypse for 5 years plus a change in the virus resulting in new threats, and no cure had been created :grimacing:

Whenever someone says it’s going to be OK in horror/apocalypses it usually gets a whole lot worse before it gets better or it doesn’t get better. So fingers crossed for that.

2 Likes

I would think Exodus also start the story at the earliest phase, because Emma was still visiting Heather when it happened , and the MC had just realise something was wrong when Armies were quarantining the whole city :slight_smile: Mindy and Candice were still in their jogging outfits when all hells broke lose …

Hmmm… some of them did already went through traumatised events , Tommy lost his mother , Bailey also experienced horrible events before she met Rachel, Dante and Gina both lost their spouse , however they were able to deal with their emotion distress maybe because they met more capable people in the same area … and as for Jillian , her street life before the outbreak may had help her expecting the worst of every outcome …

Ahahahaha, i do agree that the future is very unpredictable … but generally the Safe Haven group do feel more bonding as a family as compare to the original zombie exodus , where only Heather , Emma and Cassie seem were the one missing me and i had to be content with sending out on a suicide mission by Tom , in Safe Haven it is still a big happy family environment for me :slight_smile:

Please allow me to refer to the apocalyptic movie of Book of Eli again, Eli’s confident tone in the most calming manner by ensuring everyone the future is going to be OK always play on my mind , that’s how i mimic his approach in every apocalyptic story :slight_smile:

1 Like

I said they don’t have AS many traumas as the Exodus group(right now) not that the they weren’t traumatized by the apocalypse already. I think it’s a bit premature to say they were able to deal with their trauma or recovered from it, when a lot of the characters you listed haven’t yet had an emotional catharsis or time to heal at all. Just because they’re part of a group now doesn’t mean they’ve gotten to the point where they’re “healed” and are mentally/emotionally stable.

Yes Exodus also started at the early onset of the apocalypse, but I also noticed that it shows how the characters changed over time as the apocalypse worsens, life becomes more harsh and they experienced more and more loss. Which is what would/could most likely happen to the Safe Haven Group as time goes on.

Isn’t Eli lying to them by telling them something he doesn’t know ? Or luring them into a false sense of security ? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t think so… at the end i realise Eli was blind , he wore sun glasses hence no one notice it , the Book which the antagonist was after was the Bible , but it was written in the code where blind man can touch to read , which is useless to him even when he got it :slight_smile:

In the end, Eli gave up the Book to save Solara because he already memorise the book, so it could be reprint in the good guys strong hold …

2 Likes

That’s probably because MC is really important to the story and we have more leeway with what happens in the game than ZE, and because the leader figures of our group in Safe Haven are more ethically equipped than those in ZE.

3 Likes

What would be fascinating and kind of ironic is if you were given the ability to send people on suicide missions later on.

1 Like

It would be good, but I don’t personally want it to be like the way Tom (i think was the name of Heather’s bro) sent us like “Hurr Durr! I hate their guts, lemme kill em off by sending em on a mission thats probably impossible to do, with little to no backup or intel.” and more like “Oh that stuff is necessary-ish but we cant send many peeps to do it [because reasons] and sending a few would likely get them killed.”

4 Likes

Meh, I’d say split the difference. Send people off on missions and decide which and how many members go. If you are a good guy, you’ll send people with the highest odds of coming back. If you’re not a good guy, you can send people who have lower odds of coming back.

2 Likes

How are they more “ethically equipped” than the Exodus group ? Yes we have more people and a woman who’s a lot more prepared for this than the majority of the group. But, I don’t see how this group has an ethical advantage when there ethics or morality haven’t been tested by that many interactions with other groups yet as well as losses experienced. In fact the groups identity/ code of conduct has just been formed and the stability or durability of that has only just started to be tested. If you were to include the MC’s ethics than that’s dependent on the player. But if Rachel or Jaime are leader than their ethics could potentially change as life get’s harder and becomes more desperate.

1 Like

(It’s been a long time since I have played ZE so this might not be entirely accurate and may be influenced by my perspective, if that is so then feel free to correct me! I won’t bite. :smile:)

Tom was just a psychopath or borderline psycho because he tried to kill two members of his group just because one decided to leave him and he hated the other one (first being the old uncle lou and second being mc). Neither Jaime nor Rachel are that petty or illogical enough to kill a person they used to care for/was an ally just out of spite. (what Jaime did that to Dillan was different because of its circumstances [re keeping him tied and stuff] )

Mindy was kinda similar to Rachel when it came to decision making but Jaime being a sort of co leader can balance her ruthlessness with his compassion.

And Lou seemed most fit to be an advisor or maybe even leader but Tom probably never seeked his counsel or paid it any mind.

Jaime being the leader seems to be a compassionate guy and his leadership style isn’t like Tom or Mindy because he has probably gone through more trauma than rest of us in group because of Dillan and co.

And Rachel isn’t dumb enough to go around giving people suicide missions unless it’s absolutely necessary, and even then she’d send someone competent instead of a newbie who hasn’t proven themself capable.

We’ve probably spent enough time through Apocalypse, that in ZE timeline MC has reached Tom, and he was already broken when we met him.

4 Likes

Morality doesn’t make magic your survival easier. Nor in real life nor in games. Sadly in real life as well I have friends here with family still in Venezuela. And they are suffering There is famine and there is rapes and delinquency in small rural areas . I have just talked with my friend that is devastated.

It is hard to believe that in many countries the fighting for survival and the collapse of democracy is real. If any of you are from Venezuela or nearby country with refugees coming from there try to helping the associations that helping them.

As Spanish Venezuela received so many refugees during Spanish civil war and many Hungry Galicians . I mean i am atheist so i don’t pray still my heart goes with all o you

2 Likes