Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven General Discussion (Part 3 beta coming in December)

162cm (quite short I know), the only time we would use imperial is for lumber trade to the US for some reason? We can switch to imperial because we are so close to the US but mainly metric is the way to go. Any car bought from a dealership in Canada has litres unless it’s a direct American import. All temperature is given in Celsius

2 Likes

Caught up on the game for the first time in a while. Loving it and all the new characters so far. I always find it fun to discuss, and was wondering if anyone has certain actors as face claims for characters as they’re reading through the story and imagining it? Personally finding face claims for everyone is one of my favourite parts of playing choice games (my dream job would 100% be a casting director in Hollywood ) anyways, here’s who I use for everyone:

Alana (my MC and a college student): I really just imagine her as myself but if I had to pick an actress I’d go with Odeya Rush cause I’ve been told we look similar
Aidan (my MC’s nephew): Julian Edwards
Jaime: a younger version of Joe Anoa’i aka Roman Reigns
Woody: Adam Driver
Rachel: Jessica Brown Findlay
Kelly: Summer Glau
Tommy: Joe Keery
Brody: Spencer List
Madison: Peyton List
Parker: B.D. Wong
Reilly: Michiel Huisman
Nora: Glenn Close
Jillian: Margot Robbie
Lyle: John Malkovich
Dante: Bobby Canavale
Lopez: Joseph Julian Soria
Mrs. Ortega: Selenis Lyva
Sam Makarov: Michael Chiklis
Peter Makarov: Sean Grandillo
Gina: Ellen Barkin
Rev. Church: Seth Gilliam
Benjimin: Tom Hardy
Nathan: Jamie Bell
Bailey: Mia Goth
Rosie: Aerli Austen
Driver: Dan Petronijevich
Dillon: Christopher Meloni
Keith: Sebastian Stan
Natalie: Krysten Ritter
Benton: Brad William Henke
Wyatt: Woody Harrelson
Eli: Samuel L. Jackson

4 Likes

Well i disagree that Summer Glau as Kelly
I would imagine Summer Glau as Madison and this could be a photo of Madison and my MC :slight_smile:
terminator-sarah-connor130%20(1)
SX466

Madison’s blonde.

2 Likes

Hair could be dyed… :slight_smile:
I am thinking more about her ability as a combatant that is a sharp shooter and deadly survivalist … :wink:

@No_This_Is_Patrick
Or you think she is resembling better as Madison?

2 Likes

Probably not during a zombie apocalypse in the woods.

3 Likes

I mean it doesn’t really matter for me, just saying the game will be describing her as blonde.

4 Likes

I dont know, Madison is a teenager, I wouldnt be imagining her as a woman in her 30’s

4 Likes

Summer glau then? She was a tenager in that tv series :wink:

1 Like

I guess a younger version of her could do. I like Spencer and Peyton list for Brody and Madison cause they’re real life twins and look like high schoolers

2 Likes

@JimD

Heyo! You’ve definitely heard this a lot, but long time player, first time Forumer! I just wanted to say how glad I am (and impressed) that you’re still up and writing my favorite Choice game of all time. This game is an absolute monster (in a good way) of an IF piece, I hope you know that. You should be more than proud of your work. I honestly still can’t believe you haven’t burned out at this stage. How do you do it?!

My original intention was to lurk for a while but I just revisited the game after quite some time and couldn’t hold it in anymore. Thank you for all the fun reading, escapism, and inspiration. I think I’ll be sticking my head out more. Honestly, I regret waiting so long to offer my own input on the game. Hopefully many more chances come to test.

Alright, there. I’m done. One question though:

Where can I learn more about your plans for Part 2-2?

Edit: Holy hell, did I speak too soon! I just checked your site in the OP (should have done that first, I apologize), and looked at all your upcoming projects. You should have been on Stan Lee’s Superhumans! Dead Zone? A vampire game made by you? All with Parts 2-2 and 3?! Pardon my enthusiasm. That post made me feel like a kid again. Geez.

…There’s no way you’re just an author. Who trained you? Apparently it was the Ra’s Al Ghul of writing!

10 Likes

I often think about Hannah Murray as Jillian

10 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that Jillian does have large breasts and a “perky” figure

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

I wish!

You’re very kind. I really love writing and am glad more than 2 people like my writing. I also have 2 secret projects. My hope is to produce 2-3 games per year plus my Patreon content.

13 Likes

Just a slightly off topic question, do you currently work on these games full time/ for main income?

And I dont know if it was you asking about a way to check what the max value of a stat could be, but have you considered using checks like that to prevent cheating.

Also looking forward to pepper spraying some more zombies

2 Likes

Sadly, no. I work as a data analyst 40+ hours/week and write outside of that.

Since I have seen posts asking about the life of a writer, I’ll share my details. Most days, I work 8-4. I then come home and write from 5-9 and work in time to spend with my wife for 30-45 minutes. She reads in the room where I write, so we feel like we’re still hanging out.

On weekends, I write from noon to 6pm, though I try to plan one day to go out with my wife, meet friends, visit family, etc.

Last year, I grossed around $25,000 from writing. I have to check exact numbers. I still have to pay taxes. I also spent around $4000 on expenses (ads, artwork, mailing list, etc.).

When I say “writing”, I also mean marketing and managing websites/social media accounts/networking.

I have thought about it especially after changes I am making ahead of Part 3.

15 Likes

You are really a saint of patience and hard working but don’t burn yourself jim

5 Likes

Wow…

You’re basically my future planned self but more hard working (I plan to go into economics/ statistics, then retire and work on one long game I can release for free)

I dont want to risk going too off topic but I will note it seems pretty good that you get like 21,000 net dollars

If I end up getting my own game published, I’m not expecting more than £1000

On that note, are there sales info for all the games out

2 Likes

You’re most welcome! How do you stay inspired, though? Surely you experience burnout, especially with writing sequels. Any tips for aspiring writers?

4 Likes

Consider learning R or SQL and you’re set for life.

I guess for the hours I put in, it’s not great. But I’m building up followers. It’s a long game.

I believe there’s sales figures out somewhere but ZE (original) is my top seller. Maybe ZE:SH has finally eclipsed it.

I do experience burnout, but (cliche incoming) this is truly my passion. I see myself doing this full-time in maybe another 10 years. I also know if I don’t keep moving ahead, I will lose followers and interest.

The people who do follow me are my motivators. When I was writing short stories to submit to literary mags, I just felt no push. Constant rejections gutted me. But when I did my first beta for ZE and had people reading it and giving me feedback, I was hooked. Now, if I don’t produce, people push me.

My advice is to post your writing for critique, be open to that feedback, and hook some followers. They will keep you motivated.

19 Likes