Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven General Discussion (Part 3 beta coming in December)

I’m pretty much late to this forum, but I just want to show my appreciation for this game. This game is insanely good and addictive!

I can’t even say how many times I’ve replayed it over and over just to role-play with different kinds of MC. The options for interacting with the colorful cast are also diverse and stunning that 3 or 4 playthroughs are not enough to see what the game has to offer. (My personal favorites are: a doctor with high empathy and leadership, and a pragmatic soldier with a soft side for their nephew).

I especially appreciate how deep the characters are and how their actions and personalities can be interpreted differently by readers–it makes them very “human,” unlike some flat and stereotypical NPCs I often see in other games. The many ways each character reacts to varying customization of the MC are also superb (I can’t imagine how many flavor texts the author had to write just to facilitate this).

3 Likes

He actually has said that he’d be willing to do a part 4 if he had the financial support from his patrons in the past so this isn’t actually a random thing.

12 Likes

I will keep going as long as people are interested in reading it. I really like the cast of characters and feel there is a lot to explore with them. I am glad you’re excited about Part 3!

Thank you for your kind words!

21 Likes

I can’t wait to offer feedback again on your amazing work, Jim! Wow! You are killing it! Best of luck to you. I’m glad everything is going so splendidly!

P.S. I am estactic to hear Dead Zone is being continued, as well! The short blurb on your site was so badass, I’m still sold on it to this day! Here’s to that finally coming to fruition! Congrats!

5 Likes

Im happy i can play and continue this awesome game in the end of this year and also although i cannot support you on patreon because of low paying standard on my country i hope you will reach the amount that you need for part 4 and if part 4 become reality i will not miss to buy it. In the end im pretty happy about this news

8 Likes

I love this game and the replay ability is great. Currently I’m playing a con artist and it’s super fun (kinda wish you could romance Lyle with you both being con artists and kinda already knowing each other… but oh well.)

One thing I think would be nice to have is to be able to talk to someone about what happened to you at the start, Especially a teenager MC, I mean they watched their best friend get eaten well trying to protect them.

Anyways I just wanted to show my appreciation and say thank you for such an amazing game!

5 Likes

Exactly! It’s like MC totally forgot about it, no grief, no crying, it went just like “Oh sh*t, that sucks!” This also applies with the dead of MC’S parents, even if you choose the option that says you were close to them

7 Likes

All of you have to take account that it is not a fixed origin. There are all the origins, plus the custom. then add to that the volume of npc that could be killed or not, our relationships with them, if we have a pet of a nephew.

What you read a small 100 words in your playthrough. It is, in reality, far more 10 k words for @JimD taking account of all possibilities. This happens with each other mention of anything in the past, so is easy to understand why it’s better to focus on the actual content

9 Likes

As heavy as that stuff is (especially if you’re playing a Teenager and experiencing three major losses at that beginning of the game), the MC doesn’t really have time to fully mourn or talk too much about it. They’re in the middle of a dangerous situation with no stable safe zone and possible have other people they need to look out for (whether that be their Nephew, their pet, a love interest, friends, or even the group as a whole). The other members aren’t in much of a position to offer too much of a listening ear because they’re dealing with their own problems and, much like MC, are not in a stable enough safe haven to have the time to sit down and really reflect on losses.

It’s kinda like in Baldur’s Gate how the MC loses their adopted father but has to keep moving because people are clearly targeting them. Or how the Human Noble of Dragon Age Origins loses both their parents to betrayal, but has to keep moving to escape sharing the same fate and later has to also deal with being becoming one of the few main Grey Wardens (who had also fallen to betrayal) left who can stop the Blight. They can think about those losses in their life and express grief for a bit but, at after moment, they can’t stop moving.

So I guess I’m saying that it’s less that the MC had forgotten the losses and more that they’re have more pressing matters to focus on if they intend to live another day. And while there isn’t a full blown moment where they have reflected on their losses, there have been those small moments that achieve that in my opinion (whether MC let’s themselves be vulnerable with Jamie for a moment due to the stress, MC calling Tommy out about the fact they have their own losses that they miss too, MC think about their mother during the Mother’s Day celebration, etc).

11 Likes

But still, i think maybe it’s bit important to make scene open up to someone or just flashing some mc thought in his mind about his friend and family.

2 Likes

As simple as that sounds there’s still a plethora of variables that come with what your asking. For instance look at the different types of players and their respective MC’s not every player picks the “I love my family and they love me option.” Some players could have picked the I don’t care about my parents and can’t wait to be alone and independent" Or the player created a Sociopath/ Psychopath who was delighted by the death of their parents and friends and as a result having that option to be reflective and emotional about the loss of their friends and family wouldn’t make sense as it relates to character behavior because it contradicts the very essence of said character that the player has crafted.

All of these different character types and relationships are things that would have to be added and accounted for as well, not just the typical heroic MC’s responses which would require work done in part 1 or in the early chapters of part 2 in order for it to not seem random. Which would just add more work for JimD and possibly delay his part 3 and 4 progress.

12 Likes

This Sunday (March 22) I will livestream chapter 8 of Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, Part 3! More details and times to follow but join me for a sneak peak of the game. I’ll also discuss the writing and coding, and I’ll answer questions.

38 Likes

Yesss so excited! Something to look forward to. :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve never asked, has that Teenager stat display bug been fixed? Just wondering because I’m crafting a new playthrough now.

1 Like

Yesssss

1 Like

Yes, all fixed.

7 Likes

Where can i see the livestream?

5 Likes

To my understanding, it will be hosted on youtube however most likely will be rescheduled to another date this week

3 Likes

Since my country is in a total lockdown, I decided to play this game again and damn, some of the events that happened in the game like the military patrolling the area and people who are scared to go out is also happening here, in real life.

11 Likes

It’s such a fun game to replay during the lockdown! What I probably like best are the the crafting and scavenging options. There’s something oddly satisfying about stockpiling antibiotics. I do have a couple of questions, though.

Do supplies affect group stats such as morale or allegiance? I would assume that food, water and camp defence values do, but what about medical supplies? Also, do items like soap, sunscreen, shampoo, toothpaste etc. do anything or are they simply for immersion? I’m too much of a hoarder and have never run out. Aside from equipment needed for my character, does it matter how many tents, blankets, sleeping bags we have? The same goes for crafting tools. I know Gina requests a new hammer, but do any of the other survivors actually use tools? Unless I’m leader and give them tasks, no one seems to fortify anything on their own initiative. Or maybe Jaime’s poor leadership is to blame.

Anyway, I’m very much looking forward to part 3! Thanks for a great game!

13 Likes