Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven Discussion Thread 1

horror
nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice

I was talking about the zombies themselves, not the Zeta virus. Individual virus strands can multiply all they want in a host’s body until it dies - but if zombies don’t decay and if they can go about their undead life without any need for fuel (food), then that is very bad news for the survivors. :grimacing:

We either kill them all, find a cure or live the rest of our lives with them.

What’s the difference between the zombies and the virus?
They’re essentially the same thing. Can’t have zombies without the virus.

Yeah phrasing was off, but mutations do happen for the better ie to adapt to the conditions.

In theory, there’s no reason why a virus couldn’t encode bacterial toxins. In practice, that doesn’t happen much because viruses have no incentive to sabotage their host cells in that manner - there’s largely no fitness advantage, all it would do is make the viral genome larger and shut down the host cell preventing further replication.
Even if a virus specifically wanted to shut down its host cells, it’s more efficient to spawn large numbers of copies of itself and exhaust the host cell’s resources.
in short:

virus produces toxins in host cell -> host cell dies -> no replication opportunity and virus gets trapped in the cell

Or

virus produces large numbers of copies of itself -> host cell runs out of resources and dies -> numerous replications and avoid getting trapped

Even ebola releases toxins which only make cell wall more permeable to get in not to extremely damage the cell.

Re animation is a symptom of being infected with the virus. Zombies are not viruses they are vectors

All good points, you have earned your cookie for today! :blush:

For this, I didn’t mean it in a literal sense it’s just that @Anathema seemed to suggest you can have zombies without the virus.

Isn’t that exactly what happens if you choose to stay and defend the Cathedral in the first ZE?

If I recall correctly, there were still zombies out there, they just stopped coming up the hill. Which is odd, because every zombie in the area should have been alerted by the gunfire.

Sorry If I wasn’t clear, but that’s not what I was suggesting. I said individual virus have a lifetime, but they can replicate within a host, so that host is always infected - it always has viruses in their system. Usually, when a host dies, so does the virus. It’s why they “want” to spread that infection to other people.

But virus Zeta is special in the sense that the host is already dead and apparently they don’t re-die unless they’re actively killed - I thought they need food eventually but someone said that’s not the case.

Of course, there are no zombies without the virus. It’s the virus that keeps them moving after all.

Ah, well now it all makes sense. It does seem like they don’t need to eat, they only die due to brain injuries. That means you can have them walking around without organs Iike their stomach. Course that could just be similar to humans, we can survive for a time without eating (even if we still need those organs). I suppose everything will make more sense once we study them better.

Since people and animals try to stay close to water sources a good way to spread the infection would be to let the body accumulate a lot of gases and what not then have the zombies float down the river. Not only would it contaminate a water source but zombies could then attack settlements that will no doubt pop up along the shoreline. Just a thought.

If even fellow mammals aren’t affected as strongly by the virus, I don’t see why something from another planet would be affected at all :confused:

(Though I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that there are any aliens on Earth in the ZE:SH-verse, are there? :confused:)

Oh, whew, I never actually realized what a ghillie suit was, and I just googled it, and… wow! :astonished:

Yeah, I was more thinking that since you mentioned French and Belgian ones being dangerous for Britain, you’d also be in the right vicinity :sweat_smile:

I believe the skills are all based on a combination of two attributes, plus whatever your skill level is, and then adjusted by any related circumstantial factors (stress, clothes, that sorta thing).

Watch a video of the “All Ghillied Up” mission from Call of Duty 4.

Nephew: Leather Jack, I ordered a ghillie suit, not a Jillie suit.

Will stuff like surveillance cameras and drones and stuff be added? Imo hooking up a camera to a drone would be far superior to actually searthing yourself, even with maxed seach and stealth.
But I’m thinkin that might be a bit too much to add.
I do want the ability to actually make a difference via defenses (imo time spent fully defending/ building isn’t worth itn and we have to leave all the places we build up

You’d still need search and scavange to be able to know where to look and notice things, but it could help you if it has functions like night vision or go places you can’t normally reach.

Just don’t ask for a tommy gun…

And you certainly shouldn’t ask for some church wear…

He served me some Special K, it tasted weird…

Maybe you should invite him to go Benji jumping?

Don’t invite him to go to Madison, either :sweat:

And if you want him to help build a castle for your base, don’t pick a motte-and-bailey design.

And don’t ask him to get a Driver for a trip to the Park, er… the one with the Woody and flowery area, that’s all Rosie… :worried:

From what I gather, whenever you take your nephew (if you have the challenge) with you on scavange runs its mentioned that he brings his backpack with him. Even so, the amount of stuff you can take in places doesnt change. Would be cool if it would add extra 2-3 slots.