Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven Discussion Thread 1

horror
nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice

The best safe haven would be a hilltop compound specifically designed for ultimate security and sustainability:

Elevation is key for defense. Its quite difficult to infiltrate a facility up a steep incline. Especially for zombies. Alternate between dirt berms and high fencing with barbed/ridged tops (concertina wire is your best friend).

The entrance and exit should be kept simple. A single driveway with a sturdy gate is the way to go here. Cattle guards also provide a solid brace to keep said gate closed. If sturdy metal poles are used, your entrance is a lot more secure.

Its all about the long haul when concerning sustainability. Plant a garden and compost everything. Fruit stands can provide essential vitamins year-round if you preserve what you don’t eat right away. Windmills and solar cells can generate electricity, and a barn, even a makeshift one, can house animals for meat/dairy needs. Keep wells clean, store wood for both heat and cooking, and place a cesspool off the property for proper waste disposal. The Zeta virus sucks, but so do skin infections.

Atop a hill, you have the advantage of, well, vantage. But having a watchtower or two is a fantastic idea, and also is installing floodlights so you can monitor what’s going down on the property during nighttime/bad weather/both.

If things get really gnarly, a buried school bus makes for a great shelter. A single escape tunnel should be dug facing the back so you can make a safe and hidden run for it along with your group (the back doors of said bus should already be removed, obviously). Camouflage and reinforce the exit point as much as possible.

All this would make for, in my opinion, as close to a perfect shelter/safe haven as you can get in all reality (besides a legit fortress, of course, but even those could benefit from a lot of my ideas presented here).

So, yeah. There’s my two cents on the safe haven portion of the conversation. Seeing some of these in-game would be sick, honestly.

I think the hardest thing would be to keep livestock within the compound. Not only do those animals require a lot of food and water, they occupy so much space and are incredibly messy. So unless we have a very big and productive garden and lots of free space I don’t see how we could have livestock- except maybe chickens, I guess.

I think the best option would be to go vegetarian except for whatever game our hunters could get or fish if there’s a nearby lake or a river somewhere.

The idea is you have people in your compound with knowledge of how to care for the animals, along with the proper facilities, of course. If not, having any wouldn’t be the smartest idea.

I do not understand that. What about the food brought back from supply runs? Relying solely on self-production is how you starve. Also, you need meat, as protein and the other benefits from it are essential in an apocalyptic environment.

Well the Enclave made it work back before the events of Fallout 2, so if you, like them have enough people and resources to maintain that it should be possible.
In addition there’s a few of those in both our territorial waters to boot.

A small island would probably be the ultimate best bet. If any part of the Netherlands is going to survive the apocalypse my bet would be on our small Wadden (or Frisian) islands. Of those the one that is most likely to be built into a sustainable polity, would be Texel.
Of course that means that as much as any post-apocalyptic Britain would be under Scottish influence we’d largely revert to being Frisians. :fearful:

Can zombies swim? Do they still need to breath oxygen?

Ah see, we were getting all grandiose with castles and doomsday bunkers and then you had to be all practical and realistic.

Well…your probably right, that does sound pretty good. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’m very doubtful on both accounts.

Pity. If they could drown then a small team with a boat/helicopter could bait an entire horde into the ocean.

As is, we’ll just have to settle with leading them off sharp cliffs. (If we ever get our hands on a helicopter)

They’re not sentient, but zombies still have basic intelligence of an animal, they won’t follow you into water once they see a couple of their comrades can’t swim.

I just figured out that tommy can be recruited. And I’m not trying to rant or rage but it kind of bothers me you can save tommy, but not save sifer? Once again this is probably the only real question I have directly about the game. Though I’m sure many people can bring up a ton of other problems to counter this and say I’m biased, so hopefully this doesn’t start an argument. I’m just kind of triggered you can save almost every character and sifer is literally the only death. Am I the only one bothered by this?

Dear God, how many times are we gonna go through this?

Sifer was an auctioned character. One of the conditions of the auctioned characters is that they will always die in the second part. While JimD would have liked to expand on the character a lot more, the conditions demanded that she die. JimD didn’t want to go back on the terms he said, so he followed them.

Tommy wasn’t, therefore he could be saved.

So you completely forgot about Nathan and Benji, huh? Oh wait, they’re not waifu material, why would anyone care about them?

Complaining about it isn’t going to change anything, so just drop it and move on.

Is it possible to kill keith towards the end of part 2 if you start a fight with him?

Nope, he’ll always get out.

Damn. Really wanted to see if I could take down the silverthornes before the inevitable war started.

Look man, would it really have made a difference in what you said about stopping my complaining if I had mentioned every character that was not saveable? The list could go on forever: tommy’s mom, Gina’s pals in the city, Colonel Faulkner? The point is, no matter which character I would talk about saving, your response would most likely be the same, to tell me to shut up. Secondly, to address your point on the “waifu material”, I only spoke about sifer’s death being undesired since there is actually some character development. The more you learn about a character, the more relevant they grow; Also compared to other characters that were killed off, I feel that the MC had way more interaction with sifer than any other “auctionable character”, allowing people to know just enough about her without fully being able to know more, which is probably why Sifer is one of the more favored characters, proven by the fact of a poll earlier on in the game’s development and even by JimD, who would’ve liked to keep her alive. Furthermore, I’ve only posted about sifer, what… 2 times? I mean, I would understand if I had been posting about the topic repeatedly and frequently but I think the response that was mustered was uncalled for.

Do they really? I mean, in the hill battle they threw themselves at us until we murdered them all. No animal I know (expect maybe certain hive insects) are that stupid.

Maybe I’m just not paying attention, but so far I have failed to observe any self-preservation instinct in a zee.

So I have been playing zombie exodus safe haven nonstop for a couple weeks now. During this time, while exploring all the different paths, I thought of something. Maybe other people have suggested it, and if so, no harm done. But I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to add an option where you can save custom characters. Kinda like make em “premade” but premade by you. This way, if you like a character with the attributes and skills that have been set, but you want to explore different choices and paths with the same custom character, you don’t have to redo the custom character option everytime. I found redo-ing the custom character option can be quite time consuming… so just thought I’d throw the idea out. Good day to ya’ll and thanks for reading if you got this far into this paragraph.

Seconded. Maybe we could add a save point right after character generation?

You were on same terrain, and they are kinda like the walkers in GoT you see, in season 7 they come at Jon and co. but stop when they see they’re on a thin layer of ice and when couple of them fall through they stop and wait, zombies fight you on hill because they have a chance to win but in water it is a lose-lose situation.

Not exactly true… You can see these posts about auction characters and just how interactive they are.

Not really familiar with GoT.

Are they really that smart? If they are capable of learning through observation, when we’ve just taken out 99% of their forces without casualties they should probably get the hint and leave.
Unless the virus itself has an instinctive aversion to water. Possibilities…