Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven -- set for release 10/28/16

Hobbies not connected to a skill can check an attribute or just have an effect (lower stress, raise morale, etc.). I have quite a few hobbies/activities planned and all skills will have activities to raise them over time.

2 Likes

It is poisoning people a hobby? :wink: is a joke lol

1 Like

For @poison_mara ? Yes, poisoning will be allowed lol.
Honestly, itā€™d be a great way to steal peopleā€™s gearā€¦
You guys must have had it rough. Let me get you some soup

I know I am coming at this from left field but ā€¦

Perhaps classifying skills as professional (primary) means that you master the tools as a professional of that field would.

Likewise, classifying skills as a hobby (secondary) means that you have a hobbyist mastery of the tools in that profession -

With additional training (or lack of upkeep) skills can drift up or down from one classification to the next.

PS - it is surreal playing Zombie Exodus with ā€œFear the walking Deadā€ playing in the backgroundā€¦

1 Like

I can only shudder at the amount of coding classifying skills into a professional and hobbyist level alongside their percentages and then the appropriate skill checks for professional and hobbies would take.

2 Likes

Unless the levels give some kind of bonus, I see no need to actually implement them, as we already have the original levels to work with (basic, beginner, adept, superior, master, etc)ā€¦An 80% skill should work no matter if it was mastered through professional training, as a hobby, or simply as a response to the apocalypse.

If youā€™re talking about using the levels as a mean to alter the amount of experience gained with each training period, then itā€™d unbalance the game. Soldiers would have half a dozen skills in the professional level while teens would have a few hobbies at most.

While I can agree to some backgrounds skipping some checks, having different options to choose from, and/or having alternate scene descriptions (as seen in the original ZE), the additional skill level system would be hard to implement in a way that balances realism with gameplay balance. Also, what was the reason to implement it again?

Not really a question about the game, but howā€™d you get that *goto {hold_loc} to work (In BuildCharacter)? It seems to be a variable that can be changed based on choices in other branches, while directing where the main branch goes. It seemed to be a fairly versatile tool to use, but whenever I replicate it I end up with a bad label error.

Apologies if you consider it rude to discuss your code, I always like to take a peak under the hood.

choicescript_stats line 683: Non-existent variable ā€˜dante_joinā€™

When trying to access the stats page for relationships.

You know what I found funny about games like State of Decay and Dead State? The fact that some survivors hoard nudie mags. I always giggle a little when that sorta thing is mentioned in these post-apocalyptic type of games. Thatā€™d certainly be one kind of hobby. :joy:

Ah Dead Stateā€¦ the only zombie game where survivors ask you to get them high. Especially Aggro.

1 Like

I still remember when Aggro came up to my guy and asked if he wanted to bang and my guy was just like ā€œ/blinks slowly once, twice, thrice/ Iā€™m gay. I am very gay. I am so gay, the only person Iā€™m interested in here is Paul and heā€™s recently widowed soooā€¦ No thanks.ā€

2 Likes

I guess Iā€™ll fill an entire room in my base with triple-x magazines, alcohol, and cigarettesā€¦Knowing peopleā€™s skewed priorities, Iā€™d have the equivalent to Bill Gateā€™s networth in the post-apocalyptic market :laughing:

1 Like

Definitely. Iā€™d say those three things are probably right after bullets and food on the list of priorities of things to have/scavenge in Post-Apocalyptia. Luxuries sell, man, and people wanna feel good and/or forget. :sunglasses:

@JimD will know best but a simple check of +/- 50% efficiency (or whatever threshold you desire) should not be too complicated.

I am a novice @choice coder so I may not understand the full issue,

@Zolataya [quote=ā€œZolataya, post:3548, topic:2000ā€]
I know I am coming at this from left field but ā€¦
[/quote]

Left field usually has all the good ideas.

If I understand you correctly, your vote or suggestion is to classify skills as profession- or hobby-based and that may be more programming than I can afford at this point, though I will have some skills gain bonuses within a profession. For example, a doctor can learn medicine faster than a teenager.

About 2 years ago, I pitched an idea to CoG for a zombie game at sea. They declined but watching FearTWD makes me wonder if that game would have similarities to the show. I still may use the idea in Safe Haven.

@Sylfaen I donā€™t mind discussing code.

*goto {hold_loc} means goto the location stored in hold_loc. All you need to do is *set hold_loc to a value which is the label where the reader needs to go.

@Sneaks that error should be fixed now.

@Lithophene Iā€™m going to add +morale items at some point but no nudie mags. Maybe.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the problem, actually. I set hold_loc to a certain value but when my script hits *goto {hold_loc}, I get some kind of strange Bad Label error directed at that line. Iā€™ll have to mess around with it more later to see if I accidentally put the *set hold_loc somewhere I wasnā€™t reaching before hitting *goto.

Also, at this rate of complexity for the skill system, it might be simpler to just make the Skill System its own ā€˜sceneā€™ and have any skillups be handled there. I know the Lost Heir guy did that with his store menus so it wouldnā€™t clutter up the main scenes.

Something along the lines of:

*If (ranged > 79) or ((HobbyRanged = true) and (ranged > 59)) or ((ProRanged = true) and (ranged > 49))

Would solve several out-of-character situations where the protagonist canā€™t do something their background implies theyā€™re good at. Also, it only seems mildly annoying to code. Then again, all the experience with coding I have is analytical, so I have no real way of saying if itā€™s worth the trouble.

1 Like

I believe the main problem is that @JimD is coding A LOT as it is. And weā€™re not even that far into the game. IIRC the inventory system itself is probably awful in how to keep track of it.(depending on how youā€™re doing it.) Adding professional and hobbyist would add more coding and then coding each profession to set a skill for profession or hobby true, then making the several stat checks that determine if a choice will or will not succeed or if it can even be selectedā€¦

It goes on from there And if youā€™re like me youā€™re bound to make several infuriating, albeit mistakes. Sometimes a single space will ruin your entire day and give you the dreaded error message.

Then again @JimD is MUCH better at coding than I am. So he can probably handle it a lot better than me.

@Sylfaen in the next update, I hope to introduce a new skill leveling system. In this version, skill leveling will be within scenes and I will send the player to a separate scene through *gosub_scene.

@StarshinaSokolov I am comfortable coding but am making hard decisions lately of simplifying some coding to finish Part 1 by the end of the summer. Right now my priorities on coding difficult features are:

• ways to add NPCs on missions
  • more dynamic romantic interactions

I realize you are not necessarily advocating hobbies as skills but making a suggestion.

Note: CoGā€™s official guidelines suggest authors do not code ways to add NPCs on missions.

@EmperorHeartless

YES.

3 Likes
I was thinking along the lines of...

*Temp NPC_Travel false
    *choice
      #Take NPC with you
        You decide to take NPC with you.
        *Set NPC_Party True
        *goto Travel
      #Don't Take NPC with you
        You decide to not take NPC with you.
        *goto Travel
*label Travel
Dialogue.....
*if NPC_Travel True
 NPC dialogue

Something along those lines.
Edit: Sorry this is a really sloppy example. Did this on mobile than tried fixing it on a PC and now itā€™s allā€¦ Bleh. I think you get the idea though.

Also thatā€™s just a LOT more to code :sweat_smile:

1 Like