Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven -- set for release 10/28/16

Who is this Teller of the Tales? Anyway,@Iggles I just stole the idea from a really old Japanese game I forget the name of. And @jcury I completely understand what you mean, however some people may still feel upset or at least annoyed as–

Putting emphasis it says this after you download the game, and some people may be annoyed to only discover this afterwards.

@ItsFluorite thanks for your support!

@ParanoidTeen I just want to wait on a poll for a bit, since I am still far enough away from publishing for things to change. There may even be other options in six months. Thanks for your vote, and yes, I worry about people feeling baited.

@RovePaw thanks for your comments and kind words. I do want to appease a wide group of people, and am more worried about my core readers feeling cheated or there are so many delays in publishing, they forget me. Don’t apologize for posting your opinions–I value them.

@fairlyfairfighter your issue with not being able to download IAP is a concern, and I’m considering it when making my decision.

@Cecilia_Rosewood There may be technical issues with that option of changing an app’s price. Here’s how it works.

1. The app starts at $3 for chapters 0-4
  2. Six months later, I add chapters 5-8 in an IAP. I now charge $2 for new downloads and ask previous owners to pay an extra $2 as an IAP. I’m not sure there’s a way to differentiate new from old users. If an old user just deletes the app and reinstalls it (they already own it at $3), how do I force them to pay for the new content?
  3. Six months later, I add 9-12. ARGHHH!

@jcury People feel it’s not explicitly stated. I just received a bad review from someone who felt tricked. I actually plan to send an update to CoG later this month and ask for them to make the language even clearer.

@Iggles I’d have to clear it with CoG, but I can see their concerns. Telltale has a team of workers. If one writer leaves, he or she is replaced. If CoG charges $8 for the promise of ZESH and its 3 parts, JimD has to deliver. So CoG collects revenue, pays me, I spend the money, I get eaten by a shark (yay Shark Week!), and now either CoG has to replace me or sue my estate to repay the revenue they shared.

The other idea is to sell separate apps for each part, but CoG has to do the extra work and discourages it.

@Iggles

The thing is, @JimD retains the rights to his IP. Thus, unlike with TellTale, if Zombie Exodus blows up some day and becomes the next Twilight, Jim owns that, not HG.

Conversely, if @JimD stops working on Zombie Exodus, CoG/HG has not right and no obligation to continue working on the game.

that sucks so if he stops making the game he doesn’t get any money to fund the game for publishing?

I’d prefer to pay for it all at once, up front. I just hate the feeling of being nickle and dimed. Also my bank still has the rotten transaction fee that is, IMO disproportionate on small transactions. Therefore I will always prefer to make as few (small) transactions as possible.

I’m quite fond of this idea. Mainly for the following reasons:

• Cliffhangers which go on for months just aren’t all that great.

• IAPs in general are a little iffy with gaming crowds. Sometimes it’s because of transaction fees and sometimes it’s because people just hate being reminded that they’re paying money. Think of it like getting an injection, you can have a lot of blood drawn at once or only a moderate amount. When we’re talking about modest purchases (so, anything under 20 USD) the pain pretty much only occurs when the skin is punctured (e.g: entering credit card details, entering your Apple ID’s password). It’s better to reduce the number of times the skin is punctured (i.e: the customer is reminded that s/he is paying) than reduce the amount of blood drawn (i.e: the price).

• Staggering new releases months after each other often leads to players exhausting the existing options in the game. After the few months, it’s a bit difficult to remember the specifics of a playthrough.

• Staggering new releases months after each other sometimes leads to players forgetting about the app altogether or just decreasing the likelihood of updating it.

• You’re much more likely to identify and fix continuity errors without interrupting storyflow if you withhold the entire game from the general public until its completion.

• Your first few reviews count for a fair amount. Don’t squander that potential by not offering the emotional closure a story ending gives.

10 Likes

I pick option 1 because of the already mentioned reasons and because I have the same problem as @fairlyfairfighter. I was only able to play the full version of ZE because of a friend who had it.

I agree with the option to pay the $7 up front instead of the installments because I had bought ZE on my phone then it broke. So, when I got my new phone I went to re-download ZE and I had to re-purchase all the subsequent chapters again which really sucked. Also, I understand that your hesitant to wait so long to release the game but I feel that the longer it takes the better it will be. It easier for me to wait for something to finish if it’s a complete project. I mean i love telltale/episodic games but it’s excruciating to wait for it to come out piece by piece :tired_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been up since 9 checking this for the update I think I might be obsessed

6 Likes

lol I can beat that been up since 7 checking this, the facebook page and the whip, don’t know what timezone Jim is in either. Should be good and worth the wait thoug :D.

2 Likes

Sorry… I will be updating around 6:30pm EST.

3 Likes

He usually updates around 9mp EST so it will be a few hours.

no need to apologised don’t think I was complaining :slight_smile: and cheers

Yeah same here, kept checking FB end the game page from my phone like a madman.

Stalking the thread while waiting for the update to arrive intensifies

1 Like

You better apologize. How dare you work on you own schedule, how dare you be busy, how dare you not upload the update at 7 in the morning! shakes fist

No but srsly its nothing to apologize for

1 Like

Can’t wait when the thread blows into 100 new comments after the first 5 min. Of the update yay :slight_smile:

The hype is so real, can’t wait

4 Likes

ZE: Safe Haven has been updated. Please clear your browser’s history or cache to view the new content.

I will be adding more on Sunday (crafting and more).
http://zombieexodus.com/ze2/web/mygame/index.html

10 Likes

I audibly SHRIEKED. YEEEEEEES.

2 Likes

Some errors. Still trying to figure out how to post spoilers, wait. There were a few spelling issues and I’ll go ahead and go back to find them, but otherwise, another beautiful installment. WHERE IS BRODY.

1 Like