Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven -- set for release 10/28/16

Some can be thrown! Throwing knives would be a dream come true.

Yeah, that’d be wicked, but that’d be a hard skill to apply to any one profession… unless it was a custom one, maybe?

@JimD Hey, Jim, this is more of a request, but you should definitely have a movie star’s PC romance ask the PC to act as one of the roles they played in a film! Honestly, I love the idea of a character constantly being recognized. I figure that’s probably a blessing and a curse, but it also opens up for some humorous moments.

If it can be thrown, I think it would fall under the “ranged weapons” skill.

If you use it like intended, for slashing and stabbing, then yeah, it’s a close-combat weapon. If you decide to throw it like a Javelin, then it would become a ranged weapon, at least from my point of view.

2 Likes

I agree with @StarshinaSokolov Maybe have the effectiveness of a choice correlate directly with the skill. It’d probably take a whole lot more coding if we started adding in “Mid-Range” melee weapons and “thrown” weapons and keep getting more and more specific. Say you had a spear and you use it for close combat just have a melee skill check and if you choose to throw it then a ranged skill check. Otherwise @JimD would spend centuries coding

3 Likes

Of course the skills involved in throwing a spear, shooting a bow, and firing a gun are completely different…

1 Like

As well as the skills needed to use boats, helicopters, and airplanes, but they are also all lumped together in the “driving” skill. Just imagine all the codding necessary to create all of the skills the protagonist may use.

For sake of simplicity, let’s define the actions in broader terms, and deal with them accordingly. The weapon leaves your hands and only then hits the target? Ranged. The weapon continues in your possession during the attack? Close-combat. It’s a machine that transports you from one place to the other? Driving.

2 Likes

To code each and every different action…
The nightmares… And an extremely large amount of time. I understand the relevance of keeping the game realistic, but it’s a very large game already with much more to come. Coding each and every action would result in an overall “better” game or at leasts more realistic, but that’d take an extremely large amount of time of coding for @JimD to do by himself (I assume he codes it himself or has a partner or two to help)

@StarshinaSokolov @Shoelip
Maybe rather than making extra stats or oversimplifying things we have items/weapons affect their effectiveness in melee and ranged. For example you have a loaded gun so it does perfectly fine when shooting it, but then you run out of ammo. You decide to use it as a glorified club, but since it’s not meant to be used that way it gives the melee skill a -5 and you originally have a melee skill of 55, but since you’re using an improper weapon it’s reduced to 50 for that skill check or however the skill checks are measured due to that item not being made for melee purposes. Same with say a bow. Use it for ranged no penalty, but use it as a melee weapon and since its definitely not melee suited -10 or -15 to melee skill for that skill check. Maybe the bow will break too for not properly using it. Or something like this.
As for driving… Welp.
@JimD what do you think?

1 Like

I actually hadn’t thought about using guns in melee, but I can clearly see the protagonist running out of ammo in the middle of a combat situation, and doing whatever they can to keep themselves alive, including bashing their weapons against their enemies. However, if that was the case, I was thinking about the weapon breaking, and you having to craft it back into working condition, rather than just taking a few skill points away for the check.

But I honestly can’t see melee weapons working very effectively against zombies. Humans? Definitely. But zombies? Not so much. Maybe a knife or sledgehammer for “double tapping” them without wasting ammunition…Bladed weapons would get stuck in the skull, or simply break upon impact. Any blunt weapon short of a sledgehammer wouldn’t cause enough damage to the brain for the zombie to be disabled.

It would be so funny if the protagonist were to pick a Katana and go all ninja on the zombies, just for the fragile blade to break in half after hitting a single skull, which is one of the strongest parts of our body. The Cavalry Sword would perform better, but still become unusable after a few kills. If the protagonist is a badass that knows Silat or Systema, I can see them using a knife to quickly sever the zombie’s nerves, causing them to become immobile, and, as such, inoffensive.

1 Like

The skill penalty I meant for using weapons that aren’t made for those specific choices. A gun as a glorified club. Or throwing a pillow at a zombie (just cause desperation…) An item breaking and having to be repaired is different. I imagine the item being completely unusable at that point or granting an even greater skill penalty (A broken stick at least gives a bit more range than fists… Not by much though.)

I understood, but I don’t think that actively using a firearm as a melee weapon should be an option. Rather, it could be a consequence of choosing poorly, as in trying to deal with 20 zombies when your gun only holds 8 rounds.

“As you fire at the zombies, your weapon becomes empty. In a desperate attempt to keep them away, you bash one of them in the face with your rifle’s stock. You hear a cracking noise, but isn’t quite sure if it came from the gun or the zombie. You decide to worry about it later, because now, running for your live is all that matters.”

Rather than.

“You see a group of 5 zombies. You can either: Fire at them with your rifle, stab them with your knife, bash them with your rifle’s stock, or run.” But, well…I’m sure some people would still choose the bashing LOL

1 Like

@StarshinaSokolov in that case, EVERYTHING is a melee weapon to my MC, watch out independent child.

@Lithophene I support that idea, it will make some pretty hilarious scenes of banter between the two and that’s what romance is about half the time, banter. Just makes me worry for their intimate scenes becoming too funny to take seriously :laughing:

@StarshinaSokolov @Nathan_Faxon
If I’m desperate enough ill start beating down zombies with a Wiffle ball bat. I’m not saying using any of these improvised weapons would work. I’m just saying if I’m desperate enough… Welp.

I agree with improvised weaponry having less check points, I just don’t agree with having an option to use a perfectly functional, fully-loaded firearm as a melee weapon, unless it’s part of a scene where the weapon jams or runs out of ammo, making it the game’s last-ditch attempt to prevent the player from screwing up and dying.

And, if using a gun as a club is an option, doesn’t only make the player receive less points for the check, but also make the weapon break…Maybe that’ll teach the player how to properly use their equipment LOL

@StarshinaSokolov Oh no I perfectly agree using a fully loaded gun as a club is a terrible idea! I just meant as a last ditch effort of desperation. I’m not that cheap as to try to save bullets by beating down zombies (ineffectively) with a loaded gun. At least not yet. Let’s just hope no one descends into the depravity of attempting to beat a zombie down with liquid cleaner.

3 Likes

I just noticed this but there is an inconsistency in the story.

When you call your neighbour, Billie, you can talk to him about letting in Lyle & Jillian.

But after that, if you ask him if he is home alone, he asks you the same question. And you respond with “I’m home alone.” which is… not correct at all since Lyle & Jillian are there.

Jillian: Well we’re out of ammunition and all our melee weapons are behind that group of zombies, now what?!

Me: Not all our weapons. stares determinately at box of vinyl records

7 Likes

@Nathan_Faxon

Jillian: “Purple Rain”?
Protagonist: No.
Jillian: “Sign o’ the Times”?
Protagonist: Definitely not!
Jillian: The “Batman” soundtrack?
Protagonist throws LP at zombie

8 Likes

How about attaching bayonets to some ranged weapons? It could work…

1 Like

A quick topic search shows that Jim plans to add bayonets via crafting…Aaaaand he said it directly to you. You asked if the Springfield came with a scope and a bayonet, and he said that no, it doesn’t, but you can create it later with crafting.

1 Like