Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven -- set for release 10/28/16

Maybe boot camp buddies, if some military training would make sense for Jaime.

My idea for make him more natural as character it might be too much work, i donā€™t know. I think divide the Jaime friendship origin in four or five based in type of character backgrounds. A military academy buddy for soldier types. The actual being a night life worker for cops and criminal background. A slightly older guy that used teaching you some sort of mathematics or whatever for teens . And an old crush for college students. Of course, his personality should be same and only change few flavor choices but I think would gain more depth and immersion but your code is already crazy detailed so maybe is too much work

2 Likes

I honestly donā€™t know. As I said above, the Tommy relationship was built on several factors, which I donā€™t think you could really replicate (and which only really applied to a small subset of MCs).

Regarding @poison_maraā€™s suggestions, itā€™s probably best not to make him an ex-crush; I think that this would cast the relationship in a different light than itā€™s previously been shown in, and it wouldnā€™t work on 50% of players, anyway. A tutor might work, but then it would still only be ā€œacquaintanceā€, and not ā€œclose friendā€.

I suppose this is the problem with introducing ā€œold friendā€ characters, as thereā€™s no way of ensuring that the player will actually like them. In most cases, at least, itā€™s relatively easy to build something out of shared experiences (e.g. shared childhood, shared military experiences), but I canā€™t see how that would help in the case of the teen MC.

1 Like

I felt fine with Jamie as is but that might be because as a military brat, moving a lot your friends were often all over the place and friendships were picked up and resumed whenever you did meet up with them.

Jamie would feel moe natural to everyone if he shared something in common that all the MCs shared as wellā€¦ maybe a traumatic experience or something they shared as an intense hobbyā€¦ maybe they are survivors of a drunk driving accident together or a robbery or something akin to that.

1 Like

Probably. :cry: Iā€™ve been playing my teen as being relatively indifferent to the deaths of strangers, but the deaths of people he knows (personally) are a completely different matter.

It depends on the profession. I feel a relatively close bond between my teenager and Jaime considering they were also friends through high school. With my other MCs, itā€™s a different story. Jamieā€™s meant to be the MCā€™s best friend, but with a lot of the tie-ins itā€™s hard to imagine him being the best friend. The homemaker meets him at a pilates class and theyā€™re suddenly best friends after he helped you with a sprain. Itā€™s weird.

Wellā€¦ The way that a scientist MC and Jamie bond is a liā€™l odd. I donā€™t know about most people, but I tend to play my scientist as a relatively scrawny fella. For him to bond with Jamie by joining his flag football team is a littleā€¦ jarring, I suppose.

With the bank robber and con artist professions, does Jamie know that weā€™re still a(n active) criminal? I always felt a little iffy with regards to their friendship. Jamie spoke on your behalf at your first parole hearing. Unless I missed it, thereā€™s no mention of Jamie being aware of you continuing what landed you in prison once before.

2 Likes

It was at an afterschool club, though, and only for a single year, almost two years earlier (if I recall correctly). I suppose that may be enough for some MCs, but it felt a bit forced. (And yes, the timescale was the same as for Tommy, but he was a crush, who also lived nearby, not just a casual acquaintance.)

Aside from Jonah, you mean? This is one of the reasons I though Jaime felt rather tacked-on to the teen story.

Thatā€™sā€¦ actually a good point that I missed. All of the professions refer to Jamie as the MCā€™s best friend, but none of the origins actually include a best friend other than the teenager.

Edit: I mean, itā€™s possible to have more than one best friend, but the way theyā€™re introduced as the teenagerā€™s best friend are too similar now that you mention it.

1 Like

I think this is the first Iā€™ve heard of these comments about Jaime and it seems like it has bothered numerous people.

On my part, this is probably due to the fact that I tend to only really pay attention to stuff on my first playthrough, and just skim over text looking for new content on my subsequent playthroughs (this is quite a lengthy game, you know? :sweat_smile:). Thus, I tend to forget stuff like that unless I write it down or something.

1 Like

I never really looked too into it if Iā€™m being honest. Jamie starts off as the MCā€™s best friend. That one fact seemed irrefutable and the way he and the MC came to be best friends doesnā€™tā€¦ really seem to matter much down the line (as of now, at least). So, I just shrugged it off. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I noticed it, but I understand that he was a plot necessity like Emma was. In fact I was so excited about no damn EMMA that I donā€™t wanted complain about Jaime.

1 Like

I didnā€™t really think about it that much (I might have had other issues on my mind :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) until recently. I suppose I just assumed he was just some guy the MC knew, especially for the teen (which is the only background I played beyond the prologue), who already had a best friend, and many other friends their own age.

1 Like

I think it boils down to each individualā€™s MC in the long run. Iā€™ve had about 3 or 4 different playthroughs where one had a much stronger relationship with Jaime while another may have simply enjoyed the company and another being totally indifferent despite the stated past connection.

The possibilities for character interactions are numerous and bountiful allowing for a more customized playing experience which I personally, am super grateful for! The replayability factor is immense and I dont always fall into the same patterns with each new character that I tend to do so in other games.

I LOVE Jaime personally and was so so happy to get to have a rescue mission to get him, maybe getting a bit too into my MCā€™s head in the rush rush rush of that mission to get to him (bless you for that hug too, bless you).

3 Likes

I never noticed it either :stuck_out_tongue: we havenā€™t really met jame, but Iā€™d feel a stronger connection over a debilitating challenge(alcohol addiction, delusion or maybe short fuse too) donā€™t think you have an option to mention delusions to him either, but you can mention your nephew, which does help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally Iā€™m rather fond of Jamie, I mean yeah some of the ways they know each other seems a little, rushed or sudden friendship, but Iā€™ve actually developed friendships like that. Like heck one of my best friends I made in college has been from them making Supernatural references during a philosophy class and I cracking up like a dork when the teacher didnā€™t catch it and thought it was super insightful and all that. And thus the rest of that class spent parroting lines to each other. So close friendships could be struck in a day. Itā€™s why it never jarred me at all. Also I just love Jamie. I mean it is a best friend who takes time out of their day to call you instead of sleeping for work or something, just to make sure you are informed or prepared for a natural disaster they KNOW is coming up. Let alone checking in on you the best they can and plan is to actually get to you someway, somehow to team up and work togetherā€¦maybe Iā€™m over thinking it, but thatā€™s why the whole thing with Jamie feels natural to me at least.

8 Likes

Just to note: I do not have any problems with Jaime as a character in and of himself; itā€™s my MCā€™s relationship with him that I feel is problematic. Obviously, this will be different for other players.

1 Like

I have no problems with Jaime as a character, and Iā€™m inclined to say I have quite a positive opinion of him. I just canā€™t imagine my MC having a stronger connection to him than, say, to Billie or Parker. He just doesnā€™t scream ā€œbest friendā€ to me.

That said, my primary character is very altruistic, so even if a complete stranger had asked him to rescue them at the school, heā€™d have helped :sweat_smile: I donā€™t think he feels ā€œcloseā€ to any of the introduced NPCs, but helps them anyway because helping others is what he likes to do.

3 Likes

Does this mean heā€™d save a raider (hypothetically speaking) who was shooting at him with a sub machine gun not 5 minutes prior? If so, he must get burned a lot.

For my con art all of you are so sweet goodie. She just got woody because it was a obliged stuff the rest is DEAD. Rachel is not dead but is not with my girl either. However, it is interesting that same character with Marcus the depending child has only killed half of people. He s a great influence for my girl.

3 Likes

Motherhood is said to calm the wild children out in the world. The question is: will she teach her dependent child to be like herself?