Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven -- set for release 10/28/16

@JimD I have moded the game to test it like a debug mode where you have 999999999 of everthing and all of your skills at 100 and this update has little to no bugs and advanced code by the way

@JimD

Itā€™s a combination of tying in the fragments the MMA Fighter, Teenager, and College Student get when the MC sees Tommy. With the Teenager, heā€™s mentioned as being a baseball player throughout high school. The College Student intro - the one closest to his age - makes it seem like he continued playing baseball through college.

ā€¦ Next to her stands Tommy Monroe, who must be home from college. He was going to Nightfall University for a while, and you even shared an English course, but he transferred last year to the University of Colorado. As a baseball player, Tommy had a strong, athletic build and very striking, almost mature facial features. You even tried to flirt with him, and while he reciprocated, he left school before you could get too close.

The MMA Fighter intro only says that ā€œHe used to train in Jui-jitsu at Prime MMA but left after a month when he moved awayā€¦ā€ That last bolded fragment is what made me think he only trained for a single month before starting college. I never really interpreted it as him continuing it elsewhereā€¦ :sweat_smile: Until @Bugreporter mentioned that specific intro for him, I always pictured him more as a baseball athlete ready to swing a bat at some zeds.

@Eiwynn no sarcasm. I write a lot and admit I sometimes forget I said something someone else remembered. Like the whole thing about Tommy and jui-jitsu, itā€™s possible I forgot a detail I wrote.

@commanderjohnshepard wow thanks for checking.

@Lithophene gotcha. I see itā€™s quite vague the way written. I hate to say this but Tommy may stay dead considering all of the other content and NPCs I am adding.

4 Likes

As much as it might break my liā€™l heartā€¦ I donā€™t mind his loss as much if it means I get to spend more time with Lopez in the future. I have latched onto him like a parasite and I wonā€™t let go, @JimD. :space_invader:

Nooo! We mustnā€™t give up! Remain strong! Tommy will live again!

2 Likes

Butā€¦ I like them both. :cry: I like so many of the guysā€¦ I just latched onto Lopez hardcore 'cause I both really want to protect him and I see him as latino.The only guys Iā€™ve met in this life of mine with Lopez as a last name have been latino. I gotta protect my kinsman! :joy:

WOT?

TOMMY WILL STAY DEAD???

But the fanclub,Jim! Think of the fanclub!

1 Like

Eh. Iā€™m okay with this development. If I read @JimD rightly, heā€™ll have someone for ya eventually. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyway, I thought that the idea would be that Tommy would (if he survived) be one of the teen MCā€™s ROs (which were the characters you were thinking of adding more of), thus meaning you didnā€™t have to add quite so many new NPCs.

True, I was thinking of adding Tommy because people liked his character (albeit it was for a short time) and secondarily to add more teen ROs. Thereā€™s Madison and Brody so far for teens, and others planned before the end of Part 1. I never anticipated teens being one of the most-played professions, so I do need to add more ROs for those MCs.

9 Likes

I find it rather weird how can people like characters so much without even knowing them ā€˜-ā€™

Iā€™m partial towards a female RO for a male Teen. Didnā€™t like Madison for some reason XD

2 Likes

Go Teen Zombie Killers!

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually hoping we get a chance to recruit the Makarov kidā€¦ He is a teenager, isnā€™t he? Tommy says heā€™s closer to the teenage!MCā€™s age and Iā€™m a sucker for angst lords so that would definitely be an interesting possibility to explore. I think most of my MCā€™s would spare him by default. His pa? Not as likely, considering Woody said that Papa Makarov was the one doing most of the instigating. The kid seemed to just be following his lead. The sins of the father arenā€™t always the sins of the son.

Speaking of the Makarovā€™sā€¦ @JimD, if you choose to knock on their door as a Police Officer to try and resolve the situation peacefully, you introduce yourself as their neighbor and not as a cop. If you choose the option to try and barge in, the MC announces themselves as a police officer. Shouldnā€™t it be the same if theyā€™re knocking? Obviously without the yelling. :yum:

1 Like

Yes, relating to characters is a good reason to like them, but how can you know if you can relate to them or not after seeing them in one or two scenes? It takes time to know someoneā€¦

1 Like

Pure speculation! That is the answer.

Jaime is part of the plot, so he is quite developed, and he has multiple interactions with the protagonist, even if not face-to-face. I donā€™t think he could be used as an example for the subject at hand.

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that minor characters that were meant to appear in a single scene and never be mentioned again got promoted to major/recurring NPCs because people liked them. I just find this weird, but thereā€™s nothing wrong with it :smile:

Anyway, I donā€™t like speculating and I donā€™t trust first impressions. They often lead to disappointment or misunderstandings later on XD

2 Likes

I donā€™t think he is a good example because you get to know him. You chat with each other, the narrator tells you what he is like, and you can even ask Woody about what he was like when he was younger. You donā€™t fully know Jamie, but he is the character that you get to know the most in the game, aside possibly from the Nephew, and he isnā€™t even a mandatory character.

I donā€™t think interaction is necessary, but factual information is. You could interact a hundred times with a character but learn three or four facts about them, the same way you could never interact with a character but have twenty facts about them narrated for you.

Take Lopez, for example. What factual information do we have about him? Yet people still like him. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with it, I just canā€™t grasp this concept myself.

1 Like

/wraps Lopez in a blanket and holds him close/ :cry:

4 Likes

hmm I guess it depends on how significant the facts/interaction is. like I still like that bitchy girl playing the board game from the pool party lol and liked Rachel since she was first introducedā€¦plus I always tend to imagine characters in a quite detailed way in my head(which may or may not be how they actually are :stuck_out_tongue: ) still havenā€™t got a RO for my anti-social teen mine will kill anyone who crosses them, so Makarov son doesnā€™t count :stuck_out_tongue: and I guess the delusions challenge as stated before might be like the new cassie?

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I think I would like to see a school-aged Heather :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hope the delusions are enough to substitute Cassie. Didnā€™t like the supernatural element of the first game.

2 Likes