Zombie Exodus, Part 5 beta testing

@arash Chyawhawhaw man :smiley: And is it? I thought that it was just going to be released with part 5 as a whole, sometime in late July.

How do u save Hadley? Chopping off her arm? Praying to god? [-O<

If you chop off her arm and then cauterize the wound she should die of blood-loss, shock, or infection, or even transform into a zombie anyway.

@JimD Giglamesh is incorrect. Harem is indeed a Turkish word that refers to the female members of the family, including, but not limited to, all wives. It comes from the Arabic word “haram” which means “forbidden” as it is forbidden for men to intrude upon the seclusion/privacy of women who are not their family members in Islam. “Seraglio” was the more proper term for the private area of a home reserved for women, but over time harem came to be used for this purpose as well. I’d recommend using “reverse-harem” for the opposite, as per the trope.

@P_Tigras thanks for the clarification. I can use reverse-harem. I’m tending toward more obscure achievements and this fits the bill.

@jimd do you recall what i said about the depot mission not letting me save javier and take the supplies? i figured out what the issue was. at the choices ‘investigate moaning, inspect odd wall’ if you choose to investigate first, than check the wall, you can grab the supplies before leaving. but if you inspect the wall first, and than investigate, it forces you to leave without taking the supplies.

found typo at the vet building with mindy. when she flips her lid, if you choose to talk her down, there is a line that is a bit off.
“I don’t understand,” you and drop your hands to your sides. “Help me to understand.”
correction would be: “I dont understand you,” and
 etc
another typo with mindy appears when jonas comes to scout the cathedral. if you choose to go out alone, mindy will say she should go instead. when you choose to go yourself anyway, she responds. the typo is in her response, i think it was a missing or misplaced quote mark.

question for you. remember when i said i couldnt figure out why jonas kept overpowering me, even though i am super awesome? i was wondering if it was because my cathedral/group offense and defense was too low? its the only thing i can think of because my str is 40 and dex is 45, and we have plenty of food and water. still not sure why group stats would affect my personal combat, but its the only thing i can think of.

As for the harem, i think tigras may be right. im not sure how old the term ‘harem’ is so i think it may be a modern term, twisted by western influence, created with ‘women only’ in mind. so reverse harem is indeed the term you were looking for. however, my unerstanding of the word came from where it originated, as tigras mentioned, ‘haram’ which is a ‘forbidden place’, but more importantly it means ‘sinful’. its purpose was to serve as a place hidden from the eyes of God, so that He could not see the sins being committed within. being filled with women was only because the male dominated society only had male owners, but doesnt make it exclusive to just them. if a female warlord rose to power, she would place all her consorts in a harem.
best example i can think of as a reference would be a bank. you cant surround yourself with money and call yourself a bank. whether its a building or a little piggy, the money needs to be placed inside of something to be a bank. also, when you think of banks its common to think its filled with money. but they can be used to house many things, like a blood bank. not the best example perhaps, but i thought they were kind of similar.

regardless, in our case, harem is just for women (mine certainly will be). so lets just stick with that and the reverse harem for ladies to enjoy. keeps things simple, yes?
that aside i am most pleased i could make ‘harem’ a serious topic of discussion and debate in here. you dont realize it but i am slowly brainwashing you all over to my way of the ero. Fuhahahahaaa!!

@alleykae Chyawhawhaw?

@Giglamesh LOL, sorry, thats my weird way of enthusiastically saying yeah. I forgot that I should only say that with my friends cause theyre the only ones who know what I mean when I say that. Everyone else typically gets weirded out when I say that d:

@alleykae it is wierd, but in a cute way. you should consider it one of your finer distinguishing points. the best part is you can adapt it into many forms because of how it sounds. using it to agree, or to laugh, or for a Chyawhawhaw punch!!!

@Giglamesh It isn’t a sin to have sex with your wife in Islam, and I don’t think any good muslim would argue that what occurs inside the haram (or harem for that matter) is hidden from God. I’d also love to learn the name of a single female Turkish (or Arabic for that matter) Islamic warlord. Finally, the male zone of the household, or selamlık, by definition is open to guests, it is the womens’ quarters that are considered private and inviolate to non-family members.

While the popular Western conception of the harem being a rich man’s private bordello where his scantily clad wives and slave girls await his bidding is a bit of an exaggeration based on the Ottoman Sultan’s opulent harem instead of the typical harem, and ignores the fact that harems were far more likely to contain sisters, daughters, other widowed female kin, and small children, then additional wives and pretty bed slaves, that doesn’t change the fact that Islam allows a man the right to have up to four wives and any number of slave girls in his bed if he can afford them, but does not give women the same right. While Islam gives both men and women rights and responsibilities, it does not give them the same rights and responsibilities.

Listen to @P_Tigras, people.

People can survive losing a limb just fine, although in this case I concur that Hadley would probably just wind up a one armed zombie anyway.

The infection was hours ago, I’m sure the infection was delivered to the rest of her body well before she attracts the PC’s attention.

@p_tigras i never said sex was the sin being commited, its probably the indecent thoughts that occur during. and i certainly cant argue that they are ‘good’ muslims that believe this stuff, but i can confirm they have a wide range of beliefs. like how its haraam to wear my cover (hat) because it hides my face from Allah or how “Allah has no eyes in Bahrain.” sadly the real meaning behind that phrase is lost on some muslims.

id also love to know the name of a single female warlord, and i mean s i n g l e. ha! islamic female warlord: Bibi Ayesha. outside of islam, there were loads more. mostly in the asian countries, but also in south america, africa, and native america. id love to pay tribute to the amazon tribe and the dahomey tribe. warlords aside, i cant help but imagine a pirate captain, bandit leader, tribe chieftess or an uber wealthy woman probably made one. whether history covers it or not idk. id like to think women are mature enough not to create harems, or smart enough not make the knowledge public.

@stsword I don’t think teenage girls can survive having an arm chopped off, in the middle of the woods, when your only tool is a knife, and your medical knowledge is limited.

@stsword i think it depends many conditons. normally yes people can survive losing a limb, given the proper medical attention. but in this case, it would definitely kill hadley. she is young, and in a weakened state. it would either cause the infection to set in even faster or she would die from the blood loss and/or shock.

@Giglamesh There are people of all faiths with either an incomplete understanding of their faith or a willful misunderstanding of it in order to justify/rationalize behavior they know their faith opposes. While Islam certainly has its share of hypocrites, and there are plenty of those, I don’t think it has a monopoly on them.

Bibi Ayesha is neither Turkish or Arabic, she’s an Afghan, and even she doesn’t fight without her husband or another close male relative at her side to safeguard her reputation and ensure no impropriety occurs. There have certainly been female warlords in the world, but my overall point is regarding the word “harem” which is Turkish, and its antecedent “haram” in Arabic. The development of these words was due to Islamic prohibitions, and Islam isn’t just a faith, but also a behavioral code that encourages the seclusion of women and gives men the ability to marry multiple women, but does not encourage the seclusion of men, nor does it grant women the same right to marry multiple men. So outside of Westernized fiction, you’re not going to see the word harem used to refer to a polyandrous household. Such a thing is considered haram, ie. forbidden.

@p_tigras then i must be confused and/or misinformed behind the meaning of the word. to my understanding the 3 words, haraam, hariim, and harem have 3 different meanings. haraam-sin hariim-womens housing harem-group of lovers. ive always considered harem to be a more modern term, or urban i guess. i can only assume the word degraded from its original meaning over time and western influence warped it. yup i can totally see that happening.

I am officially taking a new stance on the tom debate. I am backing Tom up 100%!! i believe hes innocent!! fuhahahahaaa!! the way i see it, hes a stand up kind of guy. he was happily married and worked construction, not trying to manipulate the masses as a politician. he was an amazing leader, always firm and professional. he even finds the strength to quit the booze!! what a swell guy! so how could such a man suddenly decide to turn to murder? its proposterous! he has no reason to do so. carl accuses him of sending me on missions to kill me off, but im awesome so i was always the best man for the job. carl says he left out information about missions, but the information left out was not pertinent to the mission. if i send you on a mission to mcdonalds to buy a cheeseburger and large powerade with no ice, im not going to tell you about how the mcnuggets are half off today! youre not buying mcnuggets. youre buying a cheeseburger and large powerade. with no ice <-- this is important (no it isnt). some might say he wants me dead because i am the outsider of the group, and not part of his plans. but so is emma, and devlin, and eugene, kelly, crone, badger, star, river!!! it doesnt make sense!!! if he is going to kill anybody, he should kill devlin, he never liked him in the first place. hell i even brought tom 2 crates of beer from the depot mission. we are practically brothers now. in conclusion: tom needs to shave that beard. heather warned us this would happen

but fear not my friends, i have already solved the case!! it was
 (dramatic pointing) the indian woman from colins camp!!! chyawhawhaw thats right!!! the person you least expected has come back to bite you in the @$$! she tomahawked the brakes after tom inspected them, hoping for our demise! what a devilishly clever person
 (it was tom)

@jimd who saves me by sniping the ranger zombie in part 1? also who does jonas little sister remind us of? for the life of me i simply cannot figure these out. i recall you talking about getting an artist or something and noticed the pics in part 1. those were cool, any plans to add more to the other chapters?
i just had an idea. have every kill you perform cause a loss to humanity. kill a zombie, you lose a tiny amount. kill a bandit/soldier, you lose a small amount. kill non-combatants, you lose medium amount. they seem small at first, but over time they add up, chipping away at your being. wishlist?

@Giglamesh The beer did it for me. I agree completely with you! You have me sold now. Tom’s definitely innocent.

@Giglamesh Hariim and harem are pretty much the same. The first is just a transliteration of Arabic and the second is a transliteration of Turkish. And arguing that they’re derived from haram (inviolate place) instead of áž„arām (forbidden) is immaterial as haram itself comes from áž„arām. In fact they all descend from the same ancient Hebrew root H-R-M which means forbidden, and yes, that which is forbidden by God is by definition sinful.

The ancient Hebrews were also similarly patriarchal and paternalistic as a read through of the book of Leviticus will clearly demonstrate. Arabs as fellow descendants of Abraham share a common origin. What matters here is that Islam places responsibilities on women that it does not place upon men, and this is why they were entitled to their own private area of the household where they were free from the rules of modesty that were required of them in public. This is why harem as female family members vs harem as womens quarters eventually became interchangeable. The male area was considered public however, not private, and guests were allowed to traipse through.

There is thus no wiggle room in these societies for female Turkish, Arab (or Jewish for that matter) warlords who kept male harems at any period in history from their adoption of the Abrahamic religions until today. And it would be very, very strange to a Turk or Arab to hear the word harem (or hariim) used to describe the mens area of a polyandrous household. That would be like telling men to use the ladies room. Furthermore the very idea of a polyandrous household would be ងarām (forbidden/sinful) in Islam.

That doesn’t mean I have an issue with polyandry in a fictional society, I just disagree very strongly with your earlier assertions that the word harem -only- refers to an area and is gender neutral. On the contrary, it has been very closely tied to the female members of the household for its entire history of usage.

@P_Tigras – nothing much to add. Just thought it made a nice change to agree with you on an issue of gender-specificity. :slight_smile:

@Giglamesh, pretty much all the words derived from the “h-r-m” root have multiple meanings, so context is everything. “Haram” means sinful, and it also means sacred – the holiest places of Islam are “haramayn,” like the Masjid-al-Haram in Mecca or the Haram-al-Sharif in al-Quds.

The Hebrew equivalent, herem, means “forbidden” as Tigras pointed out – and it also means dedicated to God.

If that seems odd, well, we’ve got some similar words in English, too.

@Havenstone It’s always a pleasure, even when we aren’t on the same side of an argument, but doubly so when we are. And thanks for pointing out how words can sometimes have very different meanings depending on context. I was struggling to explain how word usage evolves over time and can appear to become contradictory as popular definitions eclipse historic definitions that are more nuanced. Sacred and sinful may seem like opposites, but the original usages were closer to inviolate and forbidden, and the connection between inviolate and forbidden is much easier to understand since it is forbidden (and thus sinful) to violate a place that is inviolate (sacred). In reality there is no contradiction, because as you’ve pointed out, it all depends on context.