Zeus' Dilemma (WiP - Last Updated 06/14/21)

April Update

Hey guys!

I’m hard at work on the chapter four update, which is shaping up to be… something. I haven’t gotten into the actual core ~plot~ yet, which is probably the hardest part of it, but I have introduced you to another deity (which one depends on your choices). HOWEVER, I recently hit 100k words, which feels like a really big milestone, and really made me stop and think: I wrote that . Honestly, I never really realized how big the project would be, but hitting that 100k words makes me stop and think.

Anyways, the writing is progressing slowly but surely. I’m doing a goal of 500 words a day that I manage to reach for the most part, although not all of it is in ZD because sometimes I just can’t force it (and I wouldn’t want to because it’d be a dumpster fire).

Responses:
@almostinsane Thank you!
@Elemental @clementine @Atomicurtchen @bric @cornerstorecashier Thank you, I’m glad y’all enjoyed!
@nuna Thank you, they’ve been fixed and will be included in the new update!
@Orionway4 I’m not sure. Based on my current pace, I’m hoping to have it done by mid 2022, so a release late 2022 but again, I don’t know. Most of that is simple speculation + how long other games have taken to release.

38 Likes

I’ll be honest, not being the son of Zeus, Poseidon, or hades is still getting to me. While I acknowledge the reason why you chose not to do that with this trilogy/series. But my question is would it be wise to do a seperate series/book where you can be as a sort of spin off or continuation of another danger that comes after these events. Of course this may be me just being stupid. But one real question is that I played through the demo and saw a mention that someone is going to become a god. (Trying not to spoil it) does that mean that you can cease full godhood for yourself? Because I won’t lie that would be awesome. Also it would be cool if you could actually meet your godly parent and maybe something happens in terms of a backstory. But I dunno, in any case I seriously can’t wait until your game is coming.

3 Likes

The small details are probably what I enjoy the most! Like how the names that are chosen before hand change depending on your godly parent :3

3 Likes

Chapter Four Update Live

Link: https://dashingdon.com/go/7256

Includes:

• The final RO. Some of you guessed him, some of you didn’t.
  • How To Make A Monster Barf 101 (not medically accurate or tested)
  • “There was only one bed” but you can only really cuddle with one of the four and sleep in the same bed as two of the four
  • A gets mad at C.

Overall Word Count: 115k without code, 133k with code, and about 33k per play-through

Chapter Four Word Count: 25k without code, 27.5k with code

Some Notes: This is going to be the last demo update for a while, since I’m planning on releasing chapter five once chapter nine is complete and a revised chapters 1 - 5 once the whole thing is finished (I don’t know when that will be). The chapter five update will most likely break saves although this one won’t. As such, there’s no major revisions or differences that you’ll see in the narrative most likely. Furthermore, I know this update wasn’t the most romance-focused for those of you that are into that, but I promise chapter five will have more (on two of the routes at least). For those of you that aren’t into that – friendship scenes! Lastly: stats, stats, stats. I don’t know what to do with them. They’ll most likely be getting shifted around and such. A lot. They didn’t really change this update, but there’s a lot I want to fix with them, that’s for sure.

As always, please let me know what you think!

Responses:

@Orionway4 I have both good and bad news for you. Bad: I most likely won’t be staying with this universe for longer than three books and even that’s a lot. Good: you get to meet your own parent as well as everyone else’s (give or take).
@Lihn_Gargoyle Thank you!

69 Likes

Absolutely loved the update. I really enjoy the way you do action scenes, they’re lively without being confusing and I really appreciate that as someone who can pretty easily get lost about what character is placed where. Also loving how the story is progressing, the chapter’s end leaves me wanting more every time and I’m excited to see where the plot goes and what we learn about our character and about the others.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes
Bug Report

1 Like

I think a cool task for Ares would be to beat his strongest kid. Athena would be for Alya to lead our group to victory against copies of our group using strategy. Dionysus is to be the last one standing in a pub. Hephaestus is to enter metalworking contest and win or take control of a fire-nado.

3 Likes

Great update! It’s always fun coming back to this story in particular for me because of the different families and skill checks, and the npc choices. I wish I could wipe my memory and play it all again.

2 Likes

Glad to know the MC is special was feeling a bit left out for the first three chapters XD. Also I agree with @TheOfficer mainly because I picked Ares as my dad so that encounter would be great.

3 Likes

Okay it just felt weird to me that my combat focused archer son of Heph just stood there being completely useless against the python.

Couldn’t macguyver up something against the giant snake?

Couldn’t I don’t know, put something noxious on the arrowheads and fire them into its mouth?

7 Likes

Beating Ares’ strongest kid as his kid would be awesome. I think he could personally reward you by teaching you better control of strength manipulation.

5 Likes

Hercules dipped his arrows in the poison of the hydra. Defeating a hydra could be our favor to Poseidon and also give the group a power up.

4 Likes

noticed this pronoun error when asking Cy if they have any stories to share and then continuing the conversation

1 Like

I think the stat check for the python scene is a bit high. You need at least 60 in any given stat to be able to do anything against the python, but there just aren’t that many opportunities to raise your stats. If you chose to have a 40-36 or 40-20-20 split based on your choices in the first chapter, then that means you have to dump every single point into the 40 stat after that or you won’t have enough points to do anything against the python. Even if you choose to have a spread of 52-20, you still have to spend most of your remaining choices on raising your highest stat, and as a result there doesn’t really seem to be a point to even having a secondary stat. I get that passing the stat checks isn’t really necessary for actually beating the python, but the stat check is still really high for what’s essentially the first major check in the game. Most early/mid game stat checks are there to provide a baseline for later stat checks, ie this is roughly where the player should be in terms of stats at this point in the game, and in my opinion 60 is a bit high for this early on, especially given that we haven’t had that many opportunities to raise our stats to begin with.

Other than that, great game, and I look forward to the next update!

16 Likes

@anywaffle @Lea_Boucher Thank you so much for the kind words :heart:
@Lihn_Gargoyle @Epic_beaver Fixed! Thanks for the report :grinning:
@TheOfficer Cool ideas! The tasks are already set, and I feel uncomfortable using other’s creative thoughts within my own work anyways, but I really appreciate the sentiment. Thanks for sharing!!!
@Dahariel The MC’s other parent will become clearer pretty late in the book :grinning:
@stsword @Titanwithwings Ahh, I’ll lower the stat checks there (probably to around 45). It’s kind of hard for me to gage accurately what stats are best because when I do my playthroughs my MCs know what to do to max out the stat I want to do. Thank you so much for letting me know (these kinds of reports are very useful)

14 Likes

Are children of Hephaestus immune to fire? Are children of Poseidon able to bloodbend? Are Children of Hades able to make gold? Can children of Hermes run at superhuman speeds?

4 Likes

Hi! So I just played the demo all over again (not that I’m complaining bc hnn it’s so good) and I noticed that there are some mistakes with K’s gender on the harpies scene and as well as in their description on the stats screen :confused:. But since I can’t, for some reason, post the screenshot, I’ll just use something else!

Summary

They’re straddling you, a hand placed on each side of your head. You see his Adam’s apple bob as he swallows, looking down at you with a curious gleam in his eye.

Kai is the most confusing amalgam of traits that somehow work together. He has auburn hair, medium brown skin, and heterochromatic eyes (one blue, one green) and several tattoo. Although a sucker for a bad joke, she also defines herself as an intellectual, and loves reading and writing.

All of those should be in male pronouns ehe.

5 Likes

Rando question but out of all the gods you can have as parents which one has the least amount of kids

2 Likes

Well I was thinking it could be something more mundane, like putting something combustible so as to set the arrows on fire.

Most creatures that aren’t dragons probably don’t like eating fire. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Logic tells me that hephaestus because he is ugly, but being ugly has never stopped any God, well he or demeter for his traumatic history and maybe she did not want to go there having sex

2 Likes