Your favorite videogame that has the best story?

Hello all! I’m popping in to see what everyone’s favorite video game is when it comes to the storyline! I’ve not only been looking all around for some new plot-heavy games, but I’m also genuinely curious about what people say.

To start off, my choices would either be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky or NieR. Though I am very fond of both, I do lean towards NieR a bit more, simply because of how bittersweet and tragic everything is, ahaha…

Mirror’s Edge, Remember me, and Choice of Robots

Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us.

I friggin love Saints Row 2, but that’s not most people’s idea of a good storyline, so in place of that, I have to say Mass Effect! I’ve played that game series so many times it’s not even funny (I can say practically all the dialogue in the first game as it’s happening), and with good reason. It does characters right, which is a rare thing in so many stories, where characters are treated as tools for the writer. I understand that mentality, but it does get tiresome. Add to that an exciting plot, worldbuilding beyond the regular, and neat, diverse gameplay options, and you have yourself a doozy of a good time.

Dramatic as hell though!!!

@Packet
I would like to add Bio shock infinite to the list, even though it was a fps I found it’s story line to be so strange and, just entertaining for some reason. Also beyond 2 souls was quite amazing aswell.

Possible spoilers

But Red dead redemption, the ending :cry:

While the ending for The last of us on the otherhand :unamused:

Yeah, the ending for Red Dead stuck with me for a few weeks.
And yea, the conclusion for The Last of Us was a little underwhelming, but I saw that ending coming from a mile away, so I was prepared for it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Whoa! I thought I was the only one who played that game, so I didn’t even bother to bring it up.
Yeah, Blood Will Tell’s story alone was reason enough to play the game. :smile:

In tems of just the story’s of the games I have played, I would pick Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. The charterization of Martin was well done, the metaphysics of Mankar Camoran and the cult of the mystic dawn were interesting. Even though it does run off the fantasy trope of saving the world from a literal invasion of hell, it was well executed.

Haha, I need to completely rewrite my previous comment, sorry about that! I completely sidetracked from this topics purpose, extremely sorry for that! Let me fix that now! Just a note, Im going to list a lot of games.

To begin with, I personally quite like the 4 games Christine Love has made, Digital: A Love Story Don’t take it personally, babe, it just ain’t your story (Which, BTW, is its actual name.) Analogue: A Hate Story, and then Analogue’s Sequel, Hate Plus. I also quite like 5 of the 6 US-Released Ace Attorney games, those being the Original Phoenix Wright Trilogy (PW:AA, PW:AA: Justice for All, and PW:AA: Trials and Tribulations), Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations, and then Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. I avoid Apollo Justice like its the plague. Next on my list of favorites is Bravely Default, as it has a fairly interesting storyline in my opinion. Next is the Visual Novel, G-Senjou no Maou, or translated “The Devil on G-String”, which is a reference to the classic music piece “Air on the G-String”, a piece the game has 6 variations it likes to use. After that, is the highly popular Visual Novel Steins;Gate, which is one of the few visual novels (Ace Attorney games being the only other [If possible]), That i have a Boxed copy for, and in this case the Steins;Gate is the limited edition, so yay me. Next is CONSORTIUM, which had a pretty interesting storyline, and in my opinion had me eagerly awaiting the sequel (Which is yet to be released and is in the works). Next is Warcraft 3, and Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Those two games (Or 1 game and expansion), have several campaigns that I find to be quite fun, and each one ties into the others, until a finale that i will not spoil. After that, I quite liked the Campaigns of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, and Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. Along with the rather nice gameplay, both of these Campaigns fleshed out their respective characters quite well, sometimes letting you interact with them freely between missions, along with this, they each had a pretty neat (to me) plot. And then finally, one of the favorite games for a storyline… is Narcissu. A game that takes “Visual Novel”, to its literal definition. Unlike Steins;Gate, G-Senjou no Maou and the Ace Attorney series that have SOME interaction, Narcissu is nothing but reading and images. This game is free on steam, and is honestly one of the most touching games i feel i have ever played, and I was left really heartbroken after the ending.

WOW THATS A LOT OF GAMES.

Dragon age/mass effect all the way and i just need to say persona golden 4.

HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT PERSONA 4?! bashes my head into a wall AND WHILE IM AT IT, 3 TOO! GAAAHHHH

I top 3 to @Fallaner
Best games ever!

there is a nintendo ds game called Time Hollow that has a good storyline.

Please explain what “I top 3 to @Fallaner” means. Im confused :confused:

“I mean i also like persona 3”= i top it=love it.

Ah. Thank you for explaining that. Now I must proceed to resume bashing in my skull for forgetting those 2 Persona Games! GAAAHHHH! continues to bash in my own skull using the wall

Chill @Fallaner and stop bashing youre head in what about youre brain? :hushed: Either way I just need to mentions HALO all the way, who could not like master chief? Sure its an action game but the story Line is good!

I have stopped. No lasting damage was done. Bashing your head against the wall for a few minutes doesn’t do too much unless your actually trying to hurt yourself lol. I’ve never actually played any Halo games, so i can’t comment,

@Fallaner youre missing out! You should definetly try them out ^^ By the way thank you for youre explanation about the head thing, sins i dont bash my head in, i had no idea!

ah, there is something about all halo games that just make me want to pretend they were never made, for some reason i’m more intrested in games like mass effect, prototype 2, assassins creed, and Skyrim. maybe its just that i Have a better grasp on what i can do and not worry about getting pwned every 15 seconds. i even tried playing halo, its more like running at enemies shooting you and you shooting back and not having any thing to use for cover, just run shoot and pray you kill everything before everything kills you.

@Zeke i understand what you mean but there is shields,(at least in HALO 4?) also if one knows how to play one is less likely to get killed, so I give the advice to play more and jump, move around and know when to get out the big Guns.