You are literally killing me by misusing that word (and the evolution of language in general)

I literally cannot wait for the 25thXD

Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven -- set for release 10/28/16

Wait, why? I mean, don’t worry about telling me if it’s too personal, but that seems like a rather ominous thing to say. Are you ok? … Or wait, are you one of those horrible people that use literally when they mean figuratively?

I guess the second one but I’m not using it figuratively, I LITERALLY cannot wait for chapter 2, I just have too.

And even if I meant figuratively when have you ever heard someone say “I figuratively…”?XD

Never, because it’s implied. But when you say literally it means something completely different. Like, “I literally died” means that you are in fact dead.

I know what literally means… I literally just proved how I literally know what literally means by saying I literally cannot wait for Monday, I just have too. Most people know what literally means…

Either way, to say “I literally…” is an obvious exaggeration, no one means that they actually did that and no one thinks they did… It’s just like the expression “piece of cake”… Doing a jumping jack is not ACTUALLY a piece of cake, and you wouldn’t get on someone for saying it was. Either way, I don’t use literally when I mean figuratively (even though there’s nothing wrong with that as I just said), I would say something like “I seriously cannot…” yada yada. But in this particular case I do mean that I literally cannot wait.

You literally proved that you literally don’t know what “literally” means by saying it when the correct word to use would be “figuratively” and then continuing to argue that you know what it means while continuing to use it incorrectly. It’s not an expression. It’s someone using a word to mean the opposite of its actual meaning out of ignorance. I wouldn’t get on someone’s case for saying “piece of cake” unless they’re actually saying it’s “literally a piece of cake”, which would make it no longer a figure of speech but an inaccurate statement that misuses the word “literally”. Since literally is the only word that means what it means, yeah, it’s kind of worth mentioning.

-While making erratic hand gestures-
BOTH OF YOU STOP THIS!
Really I am literally annoyed.

But who doesn’t love half a page debate on the semantics of the word literally? Really though, we should try and get back on topic now. I know we’re all pretty much killing time until Monday and the next update, but until then, might as well run through what’s already written and squash a few bugs

Sorry to jump into this out of nowhere, but I want to add that the word ‘literally’ has sadly, become a filler. I’ll admit that I use it as a filler as well, but it’s mainly because I’m constantly hanging out with teenagers and their mannerisms and vocabulary rub off on me. -

It’s like, literally so annoying seeing this post get out of topic for a thing as small as the adverb ‘literally’.

The word is so ubiquitous that it no longer has a meaning. People throw it into sentences as a general intensifier for things that aren’t strictly true, so why make such a fuss about it?

Also, I hate to break it to you, but the word ‘literally’, also means ‘figuratively’ according to different dictionaries (Webster, Macmillan, Google, etc) as they use ‘literal’ as part of the word’s official definition.

I make a fuss about it because it has no synonyms. If it’s allowed to become just another word for idiots to exaggerate stuff with then the English language will no longer have any word that means what it did.

Shoelip seriously, let it go. There’s a fascinating thing in language where one word can have multiple meanings. People use context to figure out which means which. It’s not hard. I have a friend called Emily and another called Emma Lee - now that’s confusing.

Context is often unclear and easily removed. “Literally” can’t have another definition without ruining its original one. The whole point of the word is to avoid the inevitable misunderstandings that come with trying to determine something’s meaning based on context. Instead of trying to decide based on incomplete evidence whether someone means something literally or figuratively they can say “literally” and then you know they mean it literally and not figuratively. Otherwise you just have to guess based on context you may not even have at all, never mind having it right. Seriously, why are so many people so defensive about using a word that has no synonym in the English language wrong?

It’s like people really like killing gerbils, and I come in and say “You know, if you keep killing gerbils so much they’re going to go extinct.” and then I’m the asshole who can’t just leave people alone to let them keep killing gerbils without thinking about the fact that they’ll go extinct if they keep it up because they don’t want to think about gerbils going extinct but they also don’t want to stop killing them.

There’s always the option to move to another discussion so as not to crowd up one already in progress. Please do so in the future. (If you want to talk about how literally has literally changed in meaning and usage, do so here.)

What is this topic even about?

It’s just some random argument about the word ‘literally’ that was originally clogging up the ZE:Safe Haven thread.

Some people got in an argument over the pedantics of the word “literally” and reapora made that argument a topic.

Alright, saw can’t wait for chapter 2, and thought the ‘literal’ arguements came from the misuse in the title. Thanks

Language evolves, deal with it.

There’s something different between using something in writing wrong and using something in spoken language wrong.
Dave literally shat bricks. in the middle of a novel would make no sense in writing, but “Ohh my god Dave literally shat bricks he was so scared!” would. There’s no problem except people being uptight. It’s okay as long as people know the difference.