Writing as a career or hobby: what's your experience?

“Part time” is a little too generous. I do writing pretty casually compared to my full-time job.

5 Likes

My goal is to be able to gradually write HGs part time, and then hopefully eventually full time if I get good and consistent enough. The most I’ve been able to do so far was quiting my soulsucking job and writing full time for a couple months in early 2023 after The Nascent Necromancer came out. Then I got a job I liked more as a pet sitter. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to make much use of the months off and didn’t write much more than usual then but at least I got some time off and a better job. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I do, at the moment! Only for about a year, as I didn’t have a big enough back catalogue before then. (Actually maybe more like 1-2 years, but the same idea of building up the back catalogue for ongoing royalties.)

7 Likes

I started writing full-time pretty much right out of university, and I’ve lived on it and my Patreon for very close to a decade now. I didn’t have much of a back catalogue when I started, so things were really tight for a long time (I just hit the average income for my city last year), but things have gotten easier over time, and at this point, I’m not really sure I’m wired to work a conventional 9-5 anymore.

Incidentally, I didn’t know you worked on King of the Castle, my friends and I had an absolute blast with that one.

11 Likes

My experience so far with Interactive fiction was a failed project a few years back I barely remember and a hobby project that got no responses, so, never continued lmao
Otherwise it’s mostly alternative timeline fics of other choice of game stuff like choice of rebels or infinity whenever I’m bored to clear the mind

Ah, thank you so much! It was a ton of fun to work on. I hope if the current industry trashfire calms down, the studio can make another project - it’d be really cool to see more from them (and maybe work on whatever it was if I had the chance, heh).

3 Likes