( inb4 posted in wrong thread; if this should be somewhere other than Meta, please move it or advise me of where you think it should be posted. Also if there’s another thread I can put this in, so it gets more exposure, suggestions for that are very welcome )
Hello folks :]
I am taking a special topics course this semester, and the topic is video games. There are two short essays and a long essay. The first had to be about video games, the second about participatory culture, and the long essay is just taking one of the first ones and expanding on it.
Because of the unique nature of CoG games, I was able to write both papers about Choice of Games by highlighting different facets of the game world. The professor expressed interest in my second one about participatory culture and so I’ll be doing my longer, elaboratory essay on the culture of CoG forums.
I would love to hear some personal accounts of what your experiences have been, being a part of the CoG forums community. By no means do you have to answer each of these prompts if you don’t want to, but I’m looking to address things like:
– What sorts of conversations have you had?
– Do you recognize users by their icons / names (and relate that back to previous comments of theirs [thinking, “oh (such and such user) always has negative/funny/optimistic/useless/etc comments”)?
– Do you often have private messages with other users? Do these messages continue on in a chit-chat way or do you get the answer to your question and stop responding?
– -- Have you ever moved to a different media to converse? (Facebook, email, texting…)
– Have you ever gotten into an argument on the forums before? (This’ll be fun lol)
– -- What was the argument about?
– -- Did anyone step in to try and keep the peace?
– -- Did the moderators / admins say anything?
– When was a time when you feel you greatly helped another user?
– When was a time when you feel another user greatly helped you?
– What are some of the less positive experiences you’ve had on the forums?
– How often do you log on?
– Do you access the forums through your smartphone? (or work computer, whether or not it’s technically allowed at your work?)
– Why did you decide to change your icon (if you did) from the standard initials to a personalized image?
– -- Why did you choose the image you selected?
– Do you feel like the CoG forums is a community?
– -- Why are you glad to be a part of it (if you are. If you aren’t, what is it that’s causing you to stick around?)
These are the types of things I’d like to address in the final paper. If you feel you have an interesting answer for any of these, please let me know! Likewise if you’d like to mention something that you feel would be of use, but isn’t on my list, go for it
Thanks in advance for any help!