World of Darkness Interactive Fiction

…just think about the Assamites. Especially the first edition version. (that at least is what comes to my mind first there are many other things in the same vein…)

I don’t know first edition, and I don’t pay much attention to anything outside the “core” clans.

The main problem is that the old word of darkness had a pretty overt tendency for racial stereotyping and cultural insensitivity.

The Assamite are a pretty prominent example just by looking at description in the white wolf wiki:

In 1st edition, they were generally presented as an all male fanatical sect of Muslim assassins. In 2nd edition, sorcerers started to make an appearance, but they were poorly defined and a tiny section of the clan, so it was an all male fanatical sect of Muslim assasins with mysterious blood sorcery, to boot.

Ravnos don’t have it that much better. And the Kindred of the East are also not really handled with that much care.

That’s only a few examples that spontaneously come to my mind and probably a mass of unfortunate implications I didn’t notice because simply for me being white and not being that aware of some ways racism shows itself because of it. (If I did write something wrong, please correct me!)

But yeah, that’s some examples.

5 Likes

And here I was ready to buy it…
Part of me wishes it sells well just so White Wolf has an incentive to bring back more World of Darkness games but on the other hand it seems like the author has a reputation for being a douche and that makes me want to avoid it altogether. It also looks like it ain’t even that great of a game, at least based on the Steam reviews.

Apparently it’s quite linear and a pain to complete - most choices are ‘false’ and just outright kill you. Also the Vampire story is told through text messages on an iphone. You (or your friend) are being chased by the Sabbath, basically facing mortal danger, but you still have the time to text about what is going on. Its ridiculous. While an interesting way of telling a story, that’s not what I was expecting from the most iconic tabletop RPG from the 2000’s. I wanted something similar to CoG’s format…

5 Likes

Oh shit.

Now I’m getting high off of nostalgia again.

I remember the good old days.The Ocean House Hotel used to scare the crap out of me.It probably still does to this day.

I adored the Malkavians,with their ‘arguing with the stop sign’ shenanigans and whatnot.I also took quite the liking to the Tremere and Grangel.I don’t know,I just had a thing for clans with Disciplines exclusive to them (even though Dementation is basically Dominance with a ‘crazy’ paint job)

As for the game being hideously clunky,it is.However,there is a Basic Patch for the game which is still being updated to this day.It’s basically taboo to play the game without it.

2 Likes

Got it on Steam for $9.99, wasn’t worth it (not even worth half that amount to be honest). Too short, doesn’t make sense, and I was searching for an ending even after it ended.

1 Like

Is that the Vampire one, the Mage one or both?

Both (though I haven’t finished Vampire, as my first play through of it ended with a weirdly choreographed early death).

2 Likes

Did the mage game end for you right after the forest scene? I helped the siblings and once we got out of the wood and I was offered tutorship by either the siblings or the other girl I was just offered two choice called prologue. The ending didnt give me any idea of what happenend to my character or of how I affected anything other than saying that the nation began taking more refugee’s.

I didnt finish he vampire game either. I got tired of the story when I got to two choices that both lead me to an ending. I was offered the choice to go kill people with the crappy railroaded romance or turn them in to the camarilla but both gave the same exact result with no variation to the text so i gave up.

2 Likes

Same, except I let Rikke die :sunglasses: (heartless bastard that I am)

Stopped playing Vampire after being killed by the “hot mortician” (Ironically).

She could kill you? I tried the eye thing with the driver but didnt know it would also happen with the mortician. There is literaly no impact to any of your choices other than a few scenes then.

Btw I saved Rikke. It doesnt change shit.

I’m still waiting for Obsidian to make the Bloodlines remake.

It’s going to come inevitably.

2 Likes

I would cry and then drown in my puddle of tears. I’m starving for games that are as fun as this one was. There’s not a huge lot of games comparable to bloodline in term of fun. And unlike the mobile game the choices actualy meant something. I love the anarch but the neutral ending cracked me up every time.

2 Likes

I end Blowing up With Lacroix lol. VENTRUE RULE Lacroix is so damn SEXY I LOVE HIM :heart:

1 Like

Oh god he was such an obnoxious little sh*t XD

To be fair though my first character was a ventrue too so I cant hate him for the manipulation parts. If he would have been nicer when asking for stuff I might not have slit his throat open. Didnt he use to work with napoleon or was it another vampire? It sorta would explain his personality a bit.

2 Likes

Yeah with Napoleon. But he is so hot and so Terrible with manipulation I mean he is so damn lame. That is cute. Also he didn’t betray my girl. I have a thing for cute Metrosexual manipulation politicians

2 Likes

Jack is bae and you know it.

Prince is a shit head,unsurprisingly.

I am also quite fond of Jeanette and Therese.They were the most interesting characters in the game by far.

1 Like

In a way I can understand that. I did save Therese. Not that I didnt like Jeanette but I feel like she was a bit too careless for the vampire society. Ultimately who she originaly was didnt matter as much as her safety and prosperity to me.

1 Like

I like both However my main save Jean only easier to manipulate and kill.

1 Like

I saved Jeanette.

All I did was accidently trigger the sex scene with her by misclicking and picking the Seduction line.Quite frankly,that was all the motivation I needed.

Let’s not also forget that Therese was an incesting little shit.

But,at the end of the day,I still recommend getting your Persuasion skill high enough to save both of them.It really is satisfying when you see them both forgive each other and decide to work together.