[WiP] The Golden Eagle

I’d prefer to know my limits.

The Spanish way of doing things also led to four state bankruptcies in a generation and being bled to death by half a dozen major wars at the same time.

3 Likes

Yes and we are so proud of that! You won’t hear a Spanish cry about banking!! We say we used to rule look how brave our soldiers were. If Carlos were here now Germany and Holland would run scared… We didn’t care gold We still don’t care… you are too Anglo-Saxon to understand lol :wink: That’s why we conquer America when rest was too scared saying no real business there too costly

That’s… not an accusation that gets levelled at me regularly. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

I would love to become Empress! …but I want to become Ekaterina’s wife more, ideally I want both if I’m going to be greedy about it :grin:

2 Likes

A dual empress empire could be great you just have to adopt a promising child and all will be great

1 Like

That would be my ideal :smile:

2 Likes

Probably the only way to become Empress in this game is to marry the current Emperor or his heir. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m more surprised that @Eiwynn doesn’t want to become Empress this time around, or did I miss something? :confused:

2 Likes

Sadly that’s probably true, but oh well, I’m noble and Ekaterina’s noble so we’ll be fine, just so long as we can be together :heart:

2 Likes

Yeah If you kill monarchy and put you and eca and yourself in the spotlight. Just adopt the child from a noble military family to get their support

1 Like

For a moment, I thought you were referencing Cadorna…

'Cause I’m a crown loyalist :stuck_out_tongue:

You could add France to that actually. The primary motivation for French subsidies and intervention in the Thirty Years War was because they wanted to take down the Hapsburgs a peg or two.

I think it was less scared and more “I’m not interested 'cause we really don’t give a shit/You’re crazy you madman”, which changed because of gold, 'cause gold. Cortez and Pizzaro were also absurdly lucky considering the fate of most other conquistadors, which justify above train of thought.

And colonization is economy-crippling costly mind you. Scotland tried it, failed, and they weren’t doing too hot after that.

1 Like

Hmm… Spanish never colonized thinking in money. Never support Colon or Columbus for the money… We rarely do nothing as nation for the money. That’s why we’ll never be rich but we always be heroic and romantic. Isabel supported him against everything saying to all the rest “Think in the glory if he triumphs. We would be a new Alexander” Other nations are rich we are poor with style.

@poison_mara

Well, I’d like be both rich and stylish you see. I’m pretty sure they aren’t mutually exclusive.

And honestly, most colonies that have ever existed in history were money sinks for the mother country. I think New England was costing England money to maintain for most of the time they were together and the Virginia colonies which were geared almost exclusively to growing cash crops barely broke even.

1 Like

One you like the almost king of Italy and son of the pope? Two for some reason this post made me find you incredibly endearing.

1 Like

You guys do share the same fanbase. Which are bunch of political and history nerds so we eat this up. For me personally I can care less about endless fantasy and super powerd and powerfantasy game. Give me a game inspired by history with a plausible MC and if they realize it’s believable. If you want to add in some fantasy elements of Mythology or lower make it interesting make a magic realism so it happens it’s a WTF moment.

2 Likes

What about all that gold and silver you guys sent back home. Or overthrowing the Aztecs and inca empire when you saw how rich they were . One Spanish conqueror held a inca emperor for ransom and still hanged after getting it

Also didn’t Columbus get support to find new trade route to Asia cause Portugal was getting rich controlling the current sea routes there

1 Like

Never ever do dual-monarchies. Just ask Austria what happened to it when it did that, or Denmark when it had Sweden and Norway in a PU.

@poison_mara

For God, Spain, and to Get Rich.

2 Likes

No, I really don’t. My threads don’t consistently gather a minimum of 40+ posts of such speculation per day. And honestly, I revel in the speculation when it’s my own stuff.
Already since I posed the question there has been one answer that is very much in line with what I have been thinking, but the others are feeding me all kinds of ideas on what I might implement as alternatives, or how to wrench some heartstrings during the story.

I’ll take your vision and make sure that’s the farthest from the truth. Mainly because that sounds an awful lot like where I think the Infinity series will go, and I think there’s enough parallels to be drawn so far from the first couple of chapters as it is.

1 Like

We don’t get rich all gold go to flandes the beautiful name we give to holland Belgium and part of Germany… We spend it in art and bad wars there were jokes in our writers about how the gold burned and full speed go to Flandes no Spaniard saw a coin . Of course conquerors go there for riches… But they sold it as adventures and they only get adventures because not a single one become as rich as a good bank guy in Flandes. We cried for Cuba and Philippines not for money we get none, for a heroic romantic sense of we used to be great. We still in that phase We used to be great we are nothing. It’s other kindof romanticism. If Spain were more practical in the XVI all of you were talking Spanish right now. Well we still have our enormously big art reserve so Something remains.

1 Like

Yep you guys spend 80 years fighting Dutch who won and all that gold you brought cause the price of it to go down. Also cost to sent that big fleet to England and buying mercenaries to fight for you guys. Also sort of Spain fault for letting military get so weak it couldn’t defend those colonies you had left. Art is nice but can you eat it

1 Like

Art is giving food to half country via tourism. While I don’t see France or Ingland more al mighty. We have something that remains through time and make people around the world came to see it. We have no famine problems we have obesity problems so no we are not a 3th world country. And we have a culture rich and alive that is shared by hundreds of millions of people in America. So we are very proud of how all ended.

2 Likes