Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Yah, screw the bloody slave traders. Hope I get to turn that jerk inside out

3 Likes

Yeah, well if the manumission is historically accurate the mc really cannot do anything even after being ā€œmanumittedā€ due to their exceedingly low formal status. I did a quick glance over some of those wealthy gladiators ruheri mentioned and in the classical, republican and early imperial periods, while they could amass a vast fortune that fortune was never secure and they couldnā€™t pass it on to their descendants either due to not being legally competent enough to designate an heir under Roman law. Really the only things they could use it for was for a gilded cage, decadent lifestyle, which would be far less appealing then getting some actual, fulfilling revenge.

The slave trader is a cruel jerk, but heā€™s part of the system, dispose of him and ten others will spring up to fill the void. No my mc is gunning for the noble brat (and their family) who was responsible for having him enslaved in the first place.
Again, depending on the historical accuracy that would probably need to involve actual escape, rather than the kind of formal manumission some gladiators could get.

3 Likes

My MC doesnā€™t really mind the gilded cage part, he is a simple fellow that just want to be left in peace. Still, killing those noble bastards is the n1 thing in his wishlist. And there will not be some kind of Ben-Hur ending where he gets to forgive the bastards and be the bigger man, no, he will burn the world to kill them all, after that he can find some nice villa to retire in peace, maybe even outside the Empire, but not before.

3 Likes

Spartacus slave revolt then? FOR GLORY! Or whatever the Thracian equivalent is, yah I didnā€™t realize I hit reply on my earlier post and thought I just hit the normal reply or whatever, I realized you werenā€™t the author lol, I just wasnt smart enough to use the forum correctly.

1 Like

Ah, but my mc doesnā€™t want to kill them, at least not himself. No, he wants to humiliate and ruin the noble brat and their family, who have been responsible for more or less ending his life. Like I said if he could my mc would structure it so the guy would basically have to sell himself into slavery in the end. That would be a far sweeter victory then just killing them all, which would probably be relatively easy if our mcā€™s survive the Colloseum for an extended period of time.
Problem is that the sort of manumission gladiator slaves were historically able to obtain is largely worthless to accomplish any of this, as that ridiculously low status carries so much restrictions on what can be done even with a vast fortune and none of them involve anything my mc would even remotely want to do with it. But again that is going to depend on how historically accurate the mcā€™s manumission is going to be, if it is the partial citizen (except passive political rights type of deal in the game) then that basically would allow my mc to do everything he plans to do.
In fact even the partial citizenship would give him would give him an advantage over the provincial or Alexandrian, non-citizen local ā€œnobleā€ who got him into all of this.
Plus with the good kind of manumission the vast fortune would actually be worth having because you could designate a legal heir and even adopt an adult for that purpose. Or with biological children they would become full citizens with all of the political rights and several patrician houses did descend from freedmen. Still my mc would have to find that rarest of treasures, an understanding lesbian willing to marry him to actually start a dynasty that way. On the plus side the possibility of finding such a woman would be a fair bit higher in ancient Rome than during most other historical periods.

2 Likes

I think the historical limitations will probably need to be a bit expanded. If historical games under the perspective of the little guy are 100% realistic things arenā€™t exactly promissing for the characters, not that the game becomes less interesting, just much less happy.

But yeah, my mc has it easy, he will just kill them and be done with it. That is realistically possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, in the best case historically accurate gladiator manumission was, you get to live in gilded cage for the rest of your days but you cannot actually do much with that fortune beyond spending it on decadence or conducting limited trade with the barbarians, since with Roman citizens or even Latin citizens the unequal contracts would kill you. :unamused:
You also couldnā€™t leave said fortune to an heir, since your status was too low to legally be able to appoint one under Roman law, so the state was always the default heir and simply got to take everything back after your death, further encouraging spending on decadence and discouraging even the sort of commerce with fellow barbarians you could have engaged in.

2 Likes

I am sad to admit that if I was living in Rome, the prospect of having a big wealth that could only be spent in decadent luxuries seems quite promissing.

Anyway, @nauhziy the game seems to have potential. Congrats.

2 Likes

I agree, just please let the mc, if they can be manumitted at all later on. somehow be eligible for the good kind of ā€œnear citizenā€ manumission that actually gives us good options and prospects, rather than the sham former gladiator slaves historically got.

2 Likes

Judging by the first two chapters alone iā€™m definitely buying this!

1 Like

Played the demo and I must say so fat this is pretty good and I canā€™t wait to see more updates in the future keep up the great work.:slight_smile:

1 Like

So far, so good! I am hooked!

Although i noticed this after winning the fight with the thracian slave

My friendā€™s a boy in this playthrough.

1 Like

For sure. Iā€™m in love with this concept and the execution so far, Iā€™m curious to see where this goes

1 Like

And whatā€™s the problem ā€œtheyā€ can be used for boy and girl?:confused:

2 Likes

Of course nothingā€™s wrong with that, except that pronouns have been consistent except for that scene.

1 Like

Iā€™m done :joy::joy: you a real one, my MC pride is never too high to eat some grub lmbo. You a true
Vegeta lol.

1 Like

@LaReveuse @nauhziy Might be a problem related to the slave friend. For example, the german one that you meet and the other one that says not to trust her? When you bring back food you share it with your childhood friend and the new friend. I suppose the error happens if you decide to stay in the fence and not trust any of them. Then you would only have your childhood friend, and should use s/he

1 Like

@AwkwardNature You can bet. I will crush those roman insects first, then I will face Kakarot once and for all! xD

3 Likes

Yeah, I went neutral with the two slaves and I only trusted my first friend. I havenā€™t replayed a second time to befriend either of the two.

1 Like

Apologies for my absence. I was injured over the weekend so Iā€™ve been spending way too much time in the hospital.

@Chaseeboy
Thank you for spotting that! Dang it thought I cleared all the gender issues. Must have slipped. Iā€™ve fixed it in my working copy. :slight_smile:

@LaReveuse @Guillaume_Gilbert @Josetrayamar
Yes, I realised that there is a flaw in my if statements. Thank you @LaReveuse for pointing it out! I have fixed it in my working copy as well.

@joseph-mckane @Collin_Hall
Thank you for your kind words! Positive affirmation when Iā€™m staring at lines of text and wondering what I am doing with my life hahaha :smile:

1 Like