Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

@nauhziy @Eiwynn It probably wouldnt work like this, but imagine the situation: You are a slave and make someone important angry at you. Later that day, a soldier comes to pick you up and takes you to the arena, the Coloseum. When you arrive, he tells you “an imponent building, uh?” then he gives you a bucket and adds “it has to be a pool able to hold four boats by tomorrow morning. Have a good day”.
And then you stare at it like… daaaaaamn dude! xD

2 Likes

@Josetrayamar

Hahaha well if you never try then you never know do you. I’m definitely just experimenting with a bunch of random options and seeing what works. I understand why you would want to have both, but some decisions are complex and multiple stats are altered at the same time. So I was concerned about the visual clutter. Imagine seeing 4-5 lines of stat changes. It would definitely distract the reader.

That’s a really comprehensive list of weapons, thank you! I will probably go for the generic option, (one handed two handed etc) with a list of weapons per weapon type that could buff various stats. But I’ll think about the fighting mechanics in detail once I’m settled with chapter 2 and the inventory system haha!

@FutbolDude21586 @Josetrayamar
That looks pretty damn wicked. I would hate to be on the receiving end of that. Looks like a cyborg or something haha!

@Josetrayamar
Hahahaha that would be a pretty shitty position to be in. Make it a pool or you’re facing the lions tomorrow! Dead meat right there x.x

To be honest i wasn’t expecting to like it but got into it a good bit. And that was just one play through. Cant wait to see more updates or a finalized version

1 Like

@Tristin_McComas
I’m glad you enjoyed the playthrough! Definitely working on getting more content out at the moment. If you don’t mind, let me know what you liked and what you think can be improved! :slight_smile:

Well to be honest there isnt enough to say. Like if thats just the prologue (i didnt see any chapters) then maybe around chapter 1 or 2 i could but at the moment i think its solid at least in the greek play through. But i will let you know if i do find anything

1 Like

@Tristin_McComas
No worries! Thank you for playing anyways! I’ll hope to add new chapters constantly so do look out for that!

[Update 27/5/17]
A week has passed, and I’ve managed to squeeze in a few new features! Brand new chapter, I would love it if you guys could play it through and let me know what works and what doesn’t for you!

Check it out here:
https://dashingdon.com/go/1476

Current word Count (with code):
~30 000

Shiny new stuff:

1. Random best friend generator as suggested by @Josetrayamar: Your best friend will be different each playthrough. Meaning your best friend is unique to you, and other players will have different looking bestfriends. How cool is that?
  2. Save function. I implemented the CJW save plugin, which is pretty easy to work with. Currently, it works even though it’s displayed as an error (this is cause of the perma-death choice). If anyone knows how to work around the issue, please let me know!
  3. Chapter 2 is out! Do comment on the fight scene and let me know if the system is good. I envision future fights to be based off a similar format vis-a-vis a pokemon style turn based combat. This will give every fight a unique and dynamic feel.

What I will be working on:

1. Chapter 3 and 4
  2. Inventory System
4 Likes

Nice, i like the system you are using the fights p.s: I won the fight with strength and intelligence.

1 Like

Ooh, finally at…wherever we were going to! :sweat_smile: Great work, really liked the way the fight worked. Also, I found a bug in it when you choose to tire him out and go for submission which made the choices and ‘next’ button disappear.

1 Like

@Black_Knight
Glad you liked it! Haha and what was your background?

@DancingInTheRain279
Ah thank you so much! I’ve fixed it. Glad that you’re enjoying it so far :slight_smile: Do you mind letting me know what worked for you and what could be better?

Gaul, noble with and able to speak Latin.

1 Like

I picked my name as Aeneas and my father ended up being the cousin of the king… how awesome is that!

1 Like

Got it when I tried to use a submission on the slave in the fight.
Another bug I saw when I chose to check out all the races available and then chose one my stats were ridiculously high and I knew all the four languages.

1 Like

I may have found an error. In all my playthroughs, Judoc is a girl when first encountered but referred to with male pronouns afterwards.

1 Like

Will you get your own unique armour when you start to become a bad ass gladiator.

1 Like

@Black_Knight
Awesome! Haha nobles are pretty op early on :wink:

@TotesMyGoats
Nice! On the realistic setting I presume? Nobles back then were really privileged. You are very lucky!

@Tuhin_Subhra_Maity
Submission bug fixed.

Wow that’s super sharp of you. Fixed the bug too! Realised I forgot to reset the stats when you went back :sweat: Thank you so much!

@Asura
Ah yes, it should be fixed now! Thank you for pointing it out! :smile:

@Arcane_warrior
Haha well. It would depend on where you stand on the badass-ness scale. If you are mildly badass, probably not. And if you were incredibly badass, you probably won’t even need the armour :wink:

But I’m still playing around with the inventory system. The idea would be to customise your equipment in the mid/late game. But I’ll have to see if its possible first! Great idea though :smile:

2 Likes

Amazing story overall; love the random choice for the MC background.

As for problems or fixes

Two problems I found was
1: when playing a female it would randomly use male pronouns.

And 2: and this is a big bug: in the random option when it decides what you father’s occupation if you check on renownand languages then return to game it will re-choose your father’s occupation.

As for suggestions: I would say for the fight scene when choosing you position I think if your MC has a high enough Int then there should be hints to what dis/advantages each position has.

3 Likes

I love this WIP and can’t wait to get in the arena.

4 Likes

@Megus
Thank you for your kind words! :smile:

1. I’ve just gone through the entire file with ctrl + f and I realised I have a ton of gender issues. I fixed quite a lot of them already, but if you still spot any, do let me know (a screenshot would be super helpful!) Thanks for pointing it out!

2. This is massive! Fixed. Thank you so much! Would never have caught it myself haha.

I actually think this is a great idea! I will try to implement it in the fight with the Thracian. And subsequent events. Thanks for the great suggestion! :slight_smile:

@Hello_to_you
I’m glad you are enjoying this! Haha soon enough I hope :wink: