Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Am I the only one that can’t save? Keeps saying ‘‘Bad Slot - Has SMPlugin been included?’’

1 Like

If you select perma death in the intro, you wont be able to save. Select the other option. Does that solve your problem?

P.s. thanks for trying out the game! Dont worry youre not the first one. I’ll rewrite my intro to be easier to comprehend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no it’s fine, I’m just stupid sometimes. My bad. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Well, indeed cabbage isn’t only the vegetable at here, but Bandung is literally filled with cabbages :expressionless:

Recently, a new food stall opened nearby and at least they include lettuce.
I was like “Fokkin LETTUCE? Oh, faith restored” :laughing:

On the other note, kangkong/kangkung isn’t cabbage.
It’s the leaves of cassava tree :"

1 Like

@ruhenri
That is very curious indeed. But yes, many ideas are passed on from generation to generation, distilled over time and immortalised in societal norms and constructs. I daresay that many of the classical thinkers still see the essence of their thought and theory in practice even today. It is the same in Asia, where many of the mindsets and thinking can be traced back to Confucianism.

@bomsasa

This makes a lot of sense. And your timeline is more or less correct if I remember it the same way haha. Thanks for taking the time to do the math! Really appreciate the help :smile:

I would assume that as a foreigner and gladiator, these matters are of little importance. The MC would likely be short sighted and focus on the immediate challenges instead of the politics of Rome.

Although being a part of a strong noble house definitely helps, there’s a limit to how much a slave/gladiator can do. I’m still thinking of how to weave the narrative such that it’s historically plausible and exciting to read/play.

Looking forward to getting it out asap as well!

@varroth
No worries! :slight_smile:

@Szaal
I’ve been to Bandung before haha I didn’t notice the cabbages though haha! But yeah cabbage is pretty plain. I can’t imagine eating cabbage all day everyday.

Ah yes I am aware, just thought I would throw out my favourite vegetable dish hahaha :smile:

3 Likes

Hello!

Chapter 3: Third Path is out!!!

It’s been about 2 weeks since Chapter 3 came out, here’s the 3rd path for those of you who managed to stumble upon it! I would love for you guys to try it out and let me know what you guys think! If you spot typos/errors, screen shots would be super helpful, otherwise, suggestions and ideas are definitely welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for being patient with the PlayerCode system thus far! I’ve been adding values almost everytime I update so that more data carries over so bear with me and I’ve allowed for the conversion of old PlayerCodes to new ones.

Also, thanks for taking part in the RO poll! It really gives me a good idea of the heading for the story. Thanks guys :smile:

14 Likes

Are we going to see more of rock-pun guy after we get bought by the lanista?

1 Like

Hahahaha i really enjoyed writing his dialogues. How do you feel about him?

1 Like

Well, I think he’s quite hilarious, like him better than both Cato and Brutus. Kinda wondering if he used to work in a mine or something, though.

1 Like

So this is my first time playing this WIP, and I gotta say I feel bad for missing out on it for so long. It’s been a while that a game made me feel like I actually have some sort of strength and will despite being a slave. It’s interesting.

A few notes I picked up on while playing:

• The story seems to have pretty fast pacing, imo. It’s not so fast that I feel like I wish it slowed down and explained itself more, but it does seem to gloss over a few specifics here and there.

• I demand more rock-pun guy. I’ll start writing entire fanfics dedicated to rock-pun guy if I can’t get more screen time with him.

• I made it to the arena without getting a house. Does that mean we didn’t go with one of the fancy romans?

4 Likes

The mine slave path:

1 Like

@nauhziy
*if strength < 41
*set duel_decius 1
Stat Check: Strength < 40

Should be Strength < 41, because if you have 40 strength you will fail this check.

The same happened here:

strengthmultiplier < 51
*set statrand 0
Stat Check: Strength < 50

1 Like

Just finished the alpha, and am happy to say that there were no gender typos this time!:grin: Really excited to see the next chapter.

1 Like

@bomsasa
Hahaha I’m glad you enjoyed my sense of humour! :smile: I’m considering if I should include him as a potential sponsor, but I will admit that he wasn’t part of the initial plan haha

@RagEgnite
Hello! I think you were one of the very first few commentors on the thread if I rmb correctly! Glad that you could give the demo a playthrough! :smile:

Hmm great feedback, thank you so much! I really do enjoy hearing what people think about the game/story. As an author you kind of read it so many times you lose that objective feeling sometimes!

To answer your questions/notes:

1. Could you point me to specific examples/part of the story were it feels particularly rushed? I will admit that my end goal is more of publishing the story and this means that there are points where the writing suffered. It’s a curious situation because my home country does not have a tax treaty with the US, so I won’t be able to get paid if I publish this when I’m here. I am however, going for a year-long internship in the US so I am looking to publish while I am there. That being said, I would hate for the writing to suffer as a result so please don’t feel bad to point out parts of the story that feels very rushed! :slight_smile:
  1. Hahaha I was truly worried that rock-pun guy would make people face palm so hard and close the tab >.< That said, I would love to see fanfics dedicated to rock-pun guy haha! If enough people like him, I’ll definitely find a way for him to be involved in the later story!

2. Well, yes. It means you have made it without the backing of a fancy roman house. Which is both good and bad, depending on how you look at it!

@FutbolDude21586
Hey thanks for pointing out the bug! I’ve fixed it :slight_smile: Really appreciate your support so far! You’ve been helping me spot bugs/play through since a long time ago. Thank you so much!!! :smile:

@Urban
Thanks for letting me know :smile: I think this is a recurring problem, I think I wrote all of my stat checks that way, which I now realise is wrong. Quick question, does ChoiceScript recognise <= or >=? I think that might solve the issues.

Which do you think is better?

Example 1:
*if strength < 40
*set duel_decius 1
Stat Check: Strength < 40

Example 2:
*if strength <= 40
*set duel decius 1
Stat Check: Strength <= 40

Tbh the reason I didn’t want to print “Strength < 41” was for an aesthetic reason. Cause I felt it might seem really random for readers to see Stat Checks of 36 or 51 etc. Maybe its just me :rofl:

@Kristina_NRE
Hey! Thanks for playing it through again, glad I haven’t scared you off yet! :smile: Yay! That’s great news :smile: If you don’t mind me asking, how do you perceive the characters as a female MC? (not a lot of female MCs on this thread so I’m really curious to see what you think!)

@everyone who played the mine slave path

I really want to hear about one aspect which I experimented with, if its convenient, I would be more than happy to hear your honest feedback! Brutal feedback is the best feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

How was the guards scheduling problem? Was it too hard/ too easy? Would you like to see more of such events in the story? Do you feel it would be good for MCs of high intellect to be provided with hints/tips?

1 Like

Two come to mind.

One is the buildup to getting caught and pressed into being a slave. I’ve played as a Gaul and I feel like I would’ve liked a few more scenes getting to know my family that I will most likely never see again to try and bring more emotion once the time comes for us to be sold off.

The other is the amount of time passing while on the mining path. You say that two years pass but it’s more of a hasty transition than anything else. Maybe add a few more scenes here too and add in more rock-pun guy content and having the MC slowly descend into rock-pun madness while you’re at it wink wink nudge nudge to make it feel just a little longer, on the reader side?

As to your particular aspect, I apparently got it right on my first try as the guards asked why a smartass like me is working in the mines. I completely bullshitted my way through that because the puzzle was confusing to me. I’d like it if smurt MC’s get hints with that.

3 Likes

No problem. I like to break things so I do my best! :smile:

As to the scheduling, those with higher intellect, in my opinion, SHOULD have an easier time with the “puzzle” because that should be a mental power check and it should be easier than the dumb brutes who use physical force to solve problems.

2 Likes

Yes you can use “>=” or “<=”.

I think “Strength >= 40” and “Strength < 40” is better.

It has the same problem the Cato’s path had, it is boring with nothing worth of note happening.

I will agree with this too, it doesn’t seem to have passed two years. I would recommend you to let the MC start at 18 and say a few months passed instead, 2 years is a lot of time for nothing to happen.
In two years the relationship with the friend doesn’t change, in 2 years the player never had any interactions with the children of Brutus, only one with Cato’s children, etc.

5 Likes

I honestly think that the perspective of the female role is actually pretty realistic!:blush: For ex.- when you’re actually about to fight in the Colosseum, the man you’re about to fight against puts you down for your gender, which happened a lot in R.L…sadly. But I think it was a good detail to catch!:smiley: But, btw, what do you do to blur out things from the story, instead of just saying ‘spoilers?’ Still confused on that concept.:confused:

1 Like

Actually, you press the setting button in the text box. There’s an option that says ‘Blur Spoilers’.

1 Like