Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Oh I see. But the Brutian is wielding two sicas, so even after breaking and throwing one of them, he still has another one.

I see, my bad then.
20 char

1 Like

Haha no worries! All feedback is good, sometimes i dont even see it even after reading through multiple times. I.e. the throwing shield option

nope i always select charge xD, dunno why i lost

your doing pretty good :smirk:,
hmmm when can we talk to Aurelia??, maybe you can add a choice in the party after we kill the Wolf if our charm is high have success in talk to herā€¦ i cant wait :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

To talk with her, first you need to defeat her brother.

3 Likes

wow i did not know , thanks :grin:

1 Like

@anon4518890
Hmm thatā€™s really strange. According to my calculations, you should have 0% chance of losing with those stats, regardless of what you choose haha.

And yup, thereā€™s a tiny teaser during the party like what @Urban said, but thereā€™s a lot more to come if you play your cards right :wink:

1 Like

Is the city we get taken to a real one and if so where I am good a history exept for cities or placement of said cities if I know them

1 Like

It is the Latin name for a city in Italy known as Rimini.

1 Like

So thats where is is thanks for that

1 Like

Yep! @dankopolo is right. Ariminium was the ancient name of Rimini, a city on the NE coast of Italy. Never been there, but its got a number of rly interesting things that make it perfect for a starting location :slight_smile:

And the name change explains why I didnā€™t know where it was

1 Like

@nauhziy, sorry for suddenly changing the subject, but I was just reading your demo (quite promissing game, by the way) and I realized something you could specify in that dinner with vegetables (concerning which we discussed the potatoes subject): cabbages. Romans loved them, as a previous teacher of mine used to say (she was an expert in Roman food and cooked it quite hell, btw) ā€œRomans loved cabbages, they would eat them with everything and still spend the dinner speaking about how good they were for their healthā€. Despite the bad attempt at humor (historiansā€™ humor is always really bad), it is indeed correct, they ate it a lot, loved it and believed it had medicinal properties.

Just saying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. :thinking:
'Cuz I personallyā€¦ hate 'em.

I mean, all vegetables at here are cabbages.
When someone mention ā€œvegetable,ā€ itā€™s more than likely if heā€™s referring cabbage. :expressionless:

Iā€™m bored of cabbage.

1 Like

I cannot seem to get into House Cato. Any tips?

1 Like

Hmm, now that I think about it, Iā€™m not sure 68 BC is a good start year if you want things to be business as usual (especially in Gaul), at least not if itā€™s not an alternate timeline.

Assuming the main character is born in 68 BC, thatā€™d make the year theyā€™re 16 and captured 52 BC, the same year as the Battle of Alesia.

Then, a little bit after the 2-year timeskip, weā€™d be right smack in the middle of the civil war, as the senate will order Caesar to disband his army and return to Rome so he can be prosecuted in 50, and Caesar will cross the Rubicon in 49.

Even after Caesar wins the war there wonā€™t be peace for long, since after he gets assassinated in 44 thereā€™ll first be war with Anthony and then the second triumvirate will begin their proscriptions.

Playing a gladiator in this time period could be interesting, but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s what you want for your game.

2 Likes

Apologies for my absence everyone, Iā€™ve been caught up with travel arrangements and work :slightly_frowning_face:

@ruhenri
Haha no worries! Cabbages indeed. Thank you for this nugget of information haha perhaps I can weave it into the food scenes, will definitely add authenticity to the plot especially for well-versed historians/arm-chair historians haha. Medicinal properties huh, thatā€™s a first haha even the Chinese never saw medicinal properties in cabbage hahaha.

@Szaal
Ahahaha do Indonesians eat a lot of cabbage? I would think that there are so many more vegetables haha sambal kangkong is one of my favourites!

@ChimeraLord
Hey! Thanks for not giving up on my thread just yet hahaha (I remember you commented when I just posted this up)

Spoiler: The House of Cato is a senatorial house of very high standing, so the slaves they are looking for are generally better all-round than those that House of Brutus might take in. Certain attributes are a must, such as Conversational Latin. Apart from that, thereā€™s a luck involved as well (youā€™re unlikely to get the best products at any market) So the advice I would give is to invest in your traits and Iā€™m pretty sure that thereā€™s no way a peasant class can go to the House of Cato

@bomsasa
I totally agree with you. After doing the math, it puts a lot of historical events within the early adult years of the MC, during which he/she is merely another arena piece and the political turmoil would be unlikely to affect. So I will likely throw the MC into an earlier time period but I have yet to count the years properly haha.

I think the period between 52BC and 44BC would be tremendously exciting, and I am toying with the idea of players taking on the role of their current MCā€™s children (who would have gained full roman citizenship) and hence able to perhaps play the role of a plebian/legionary/trader/politician during such times.

But for now, Iā€™m focusing on the gladiator pov so not so concerned with politics, perhaps other than the houses of Cato and Brutus, whose personal agendas might affect the MC in more ways than one.

What do you think would be a good year to start, such that the MCā€™s children would be able to influence/experience the 10 odd years leading up to 44BC?

4 Likes

Also, Iā€™ve realised that the cumulative clicks on the demo link surpassed 5k. (Although it is very likely that 90% of those are from me hahaha). Thank you so much to everyone whoā€™s been so supportive and encouraging thus far, from comments to suggestions to bug/typo catching or merely liking/playing the demo!

It really means a lot to me and Iā€™m super appreciative for everyone who has been a part of this journey! :smile: Looking forward to getting more content out and discussing the story with you guys :slightly_smiling_face:

Currently working on the mine slave route, which will be out very very soon, so stay tuned!!

4 Likes

Glad to have been of help. Indeed, Greeks and Romans attributed a series of medicinal properties to cabbages. Unlike what people usually think, it was a pretty different world from our own in many things, so their beliefs were sometimes pretty funny from our perspective. Curiously enough, most of our superstitions and rural mentality were inherited from the Romans, stuff like the negativity attributed to dogs or wolfs howling, owls, the night, the solar eclipses, thunder, falling down, and many other things we donā€™t even realize. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hmmā€¦as far as I remember, the political situation in Rome was somewhat normalized from Sullas death in 78 BC to Caesar being ordered to return to Rome in 50 BC, so, maybe have the MC arrive in Rome somewhere in that period?

If you want to have the MCā€™s potential children experiencing the years 54 BC to 44 BC, itā€™d probably be better for the MC to arrive in Rome in the early to middle parts of that period, depending on whether you want them to be in their teens or in their twenties when it happens (Augustus himself was only 13 when Caesar was ordered to disband his army in 50 and the Civil War started).

So, maybe have the MC be born somewhere between 94 BC to 84 BC, which would either make the MC somewhat around the same age as Caesar or put them in the same generation as Marcus Antonius and Marcus Junius Brutus.

Also, looking forward to the mine slave route (probably the route that my proud Gallic noble is most likely to end up in).

1 Like