Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Dictator of Rome sounds good but you would have to lead a coup first.

1 Like

@Guillaume_Gilbert

1. This is an interesting concept that I have been playing with for a while. Of course different individuals would have different preferences. A player might even prefer to be a domestic servant, plantation slave etc for a while. I must see how to give the player options yet drive the story forward.

2. I would say that chapter 2 would be about the journey to Ariminium. Whether the player chooses to make friends, or close up. And then the various transactions ā†’ which could decide where the player ends up. I donā€™t know if its feasible to include various gladiator schools (cause that would mean extremely divergent storylines) But it would be very cool. i.e. A certain school focuses on certain types of combat. Or perhaps you could end up serving a rich old man with administrative duties hahaha I am still experimenting! So I canā€™t give you a definitive answer, but Iā€™m open to suggestions!

@catorrina
Thank you (: I am glad you enjoyed it! No worries just take your time. If you have any comments/suggestions/ideas, I would love to hear them!

@Revan_Alek_Shan
Haha a coup, or win an election, or rebellion, or lead your home nation to conquer Rome. The possibilities are endless. But of course, for this book I donā€™t think I will go into that. Perhaps in a sequel! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

1 Like

@Guillaume_Gilbert
Fixed! Heh I need to stop making changes and forgetting to upload the entire change. Thanks for the notice!

Really enjoying the story and I think it has great potential! Kinda reminds me of the old PS2 game ā€œColosseum: Road to Freedomā€. It was a gladiator game focused on more about rising up the ranks to buy your freedom, but only had a little bit of a story behind it. This game looks like the kind or gladiator story Iā€™ve been wanting to read/play for a LONG time lol

Super excited for what youā€™ve got next :grin:

2 Likes

@googsy
Thank you for your encouraging words! Wow haha I didnā€™t even know that game existed. Sounds pretty cool. Let me know what you really enjoyed, what could be better and of course, what you would like to see in the next few chapters! At this stage Iā€™ve a rough outline but Iā€™m definitely open to any and all ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to have a system in wich you can use differents weapons and that they change the combat eg : You could could have a two-handed weapon to do more damage but cannot block effectively or a one-handed weapon with a shield for the invert.

2 Likes

Lol sounds like Elders Scrolls combat system. Though it is a great idea since it would give more choices and be affected by stats.

3 Likes

@Guillaume_Gilbert @Chaseeboy
Yeah Iā€™ve been exploring the implementation of an inventory system, with various equipment, armour and perhaps a personal inventory. What are the various types of weapons and armour you would like to see?

At the moment, these are what I am looking at.
Weapons:

1. One handed
  2. Two handed
  3. Polearms
  4. Ranged

Armour

1. Shields
  2. Nets
  3. Helmet
  4. Body armour
  5. Leg armour
  6. Arm armour

What do you guys think!

1 Like

It depends if you want to go authentic or not - a trident, a gladius, nets, darts, bows ā€¦ all these were really usedā€¦ some of the newer weapons like a Sabre might be cool but it wasnā€™t invented then ā€¦

2 Likes

Another question I want to throw out is this.

Would you like a text notification when a stat increases? For example. After selecting a certain option, you see something like:
Strength +5%!

Or do you think that it should be less obvious? Perhaps something like:
After sparring with the trainers, you feel much stronger

1 Like

Some people code it to have stat increase notices optional. Personally, I find such notices to be immersion breaking but some people really dig it - the above statement is a good way around raw stats.

1 Like

@Eiwynn
I would feel like historical weapons would give the story more flavour and truly immerse the reader. As much as a halberd might be cool, it would definitely feel out of place in a Roman arena. But perhaps culture specific weapons of that period, like a Khopesh, Falx, Chariots etc would be possible.

I feel so too. But I currently try to work around the issue with a mix of both, stat increases are written into the prose while stat checkers (to trigger certain events) are written out explicitly. Do you think that this is a good idea? Or should I stick to one throughout.

2 Likes

Both types of checks are legitimate - really depends on your mechanics and story. One thing you do want to make sure is that you are consistent in whatever way you implement things.

I do too. As you say, they brought weapons and armor from all over and even used older versions of legionary equipment at times ā€¦ always tried to put on a show to get peopleā€™s interestā€¦ they even used artificial pools and towers in their fighting some of the time.

1 Like

I think itā€™s a great idea !

1 Like

Yes I think it would be better this way both for the stat check and the stats increase.

1 Like

@nauhziy I think I saw in other books before, when you start the book, you get to choose if you want to see the checks while reading, or if you want them to happen in the background.

If you really want to do it, even while I think you may be trying to go too perfect for a first try (which could mean, you get frustrated with the problems and never finish the book) and maybe you should just write more chapters, get the feeling of how the book goes, and then decide.

Anyway, if it was me, and I had the knowledge, I would use both. I would write something like: ā€œAfter a whole morning of sparring and weight lifting, you can already feel the sore muscles that foretells a increase in physical prowess.ā€ and then, right under it, those with the option enabled at the begining would see ā€œStrenght increased +10ā€.

Weapons shouldnt really be a problem. If this leaves someone with the need of more weapons, they are crazy xD
http://m.tribunesandtriumphs.org/gladiators/gladiator-weapons.htm

You just really need a fight writing style for each kind of weapons, like, one for one handed swords, one for two handed, one for polearms, another for tridents, another for Net users, and a last one for the close combat ones. For bow and arrow and throwing spears, for example, it wouldnt be so much ā€œfightingā€ as it would be ā€œbrain useā€ to target the proper enemy, or weak point. You are not expected to engage in hand to hand with a bow, or get close with a bag of throwing spears, for example. Would be getting yourself in a bad position xD

Thereā€™s a gladiator weapon that is called ā€œThe Scissorā€ I believe. Itā€™s a gauntlet with an axe on it.

2 Likes

@FutbolDude21586 Yeah, I remember seeing it in Deadliest Warrior xD
But I would say it looks more like a sharpened anchor glued to a gauntled, glued to a mass of meat and bones with really bad intentions xD

1 Like

@Eiwynn
Thank you for your advice! Consistency would definitely be very important. Ah yes haha the Romans infamously recreated naval battles as well. That must have been quite a spectacle.

@Guillaume_Gilbert
Alright! Thank you :slight_smile: