Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Well I started as a Greek noble but the background stat stays empty.
And since it seems that your family was betrayed by someone will there be an opportunity to find out who did it?

1 Like

@Tuhin_Subhra_Maity
Ah yes thanks for spotting that! Fixed! :slight_smile:

Yes I will definitely want to weave that into the story somewhere further down the line. I mean, who wouldn’t want to take revenge on the person who betrayed your family and sent you to be a slave haha.

How was the experience for you thus far for this short chapter? I would love to hear what you think!

1 Like

Love it so far. Although why is one option to talk to either the pretty girls/boys only linked to noble birth? Can you change this so we can be whatever with whomever and we don’t have to be a noble to be with either?

1 Like

@matt_smith
Fixed! Was in the process of fixing it after @Urban pointed it out the gender bug. It should be available to all classes now (:

Thanks for the kind words btw! May I ask what specifically was good and what could be improved? Thank you!

Two thoughts here:

1st: Allow the reader to go back and change their nationality in the beginning if they decide they don’t like what was chosen. If you keep the choice as is, it requires restarts.

2nd: in hard mode “realistic” - still allow gender choice, even if background nationality is random. Again this will prevent multiple restarts.

4 Likes

Well… I liked the different nationalities the PC can have, but could each nationality have a different slave origins story?
I.E.
Greek- is fine the way it is.
Goul- village is attacked by Romans and then captured then sold.
Egyptian- kidnapped for ran some, parents wouldn’t/couldn’t pay (depending on social status) then sold.

1 Like

@nauhziy “You were born in the lands of…”
Would be better if it ended there, then you have to press a “Next” button to know. Also, remember what we said about choosing random character or making our own? I think the option to choose should go either before or after choosing perma-death or not. Why? Because me for example, I want to play a character created by me, but with the risks of certain death if I mess things up.
You dont really care as much for a random character as you would care for a character you make yourself, in my opinion.

Also, Gallic. I am trained and worked out, so I get strength. But my father trains me in leading a warband and I doesnt raise leadership? It should raise, even if just half of what strenght raised, I guess.
And would be a nice and easy to do touch, to let us choose the tattoo we get, kinda like what it looks like. No real need for it to buff us, or to have to think different buffs, just some designs to choose from xD

“But in reality, she was a strong, head-strong girl” here, I think it would sound better like “But in reality, she was a strong, stubborn girl”. Might be me, but strong, headstrong sounds bad to me, makes me stop for a bit and think “wait what?” while I re read to check i didnt just read strong two times xD

“Your favorite past time was to…”
Here you get to choose between feats of strength, smarts history learning, or flirting either with boys or girls. I think you should separate the first ones from the last two. Why? It feels to me like Im choosing between upgrading a stat, or choosing the sex my character likes :confused:

And yeah, Boadicea was it? I get my gang to go and bash some lowlife skulls plotting to rob us, and find my childhood friend made a man somehow, must be dark magic xD

“Boadicea and you, together with 2 of your friends pause, humiliated but the public insult.” From the public insult? For the public insult? Im not too good at english, so I cant suggest the good one, but “but” doesnt sounds right xD

Also, Teutorigos throws a danger at Boadicea, that made me laugh hard. At first I read dagger, then I went back and couldnt stop xD

After that, you get this:
“Victory is ours!” exclaims Boadicea.

-Not yet, chase the lowlifes and end them once and for all.
-We are victorious! Loot the dead lowlifes and notify the undertaker.
-Let’s get out of here, they might come back with more of their gang!

One of my friends died there, and we made them run. Instead of get out of here, they might come with more, maybe lets go we have to honor the dead? I dont know xD

About this:
Who was this Teutorigos? What a scumbag. You will make sure the authorities deal with such a impudent whim like him!

-Kill him anyway
-Loot him
-Let him go

I would like the option to further interrogate to learn Teutorigos whereabouts.
I would do something like:
-kill him
-Ask for Teutorigos whereabouts, then give him some gold.
-Torture him to learn Teutorigos whereabout, then kill him.
-Release him. Then this one would split in: would you like to give him some gold? Yes and no.

After all, Im a noble, Im better than those lowlifes that steal what they dont own and I will prove them that Im over them, in both body and mind.

And after I use my influence to find Teutorigos, it is my father looking for him with his influences, then selling him. I would like some fists flying, but still, I will have to wait, Im not done with him yet. I hope you let us take revenge, as an attack with blood asks for a retibution in blood xD

I will continue later, I cant read and review as fast as I thought xD

1 Like

@Eiwynn
Thank you for the suggestions. I never quite thought of it that way but it definitely streamlines the experience! I have implemented the changes :slight_smile:

@matt_smith
I think that’s a great idea. But I’ll definitely have to go back to the drawing board on that one. One thing I wanted to represent was the class struggle - if you realise, the peasant class and noble/merchant classes have a closely entwined story. This is something I would like to replicate if I do expand the slave origins to be nation specific instead of just class specific. Still, great idea! I will definitely think about it :smile:

@Josetrayamar
This is really great! I have fixed the typos and added in some of the features that you have mentioned. I think your suggestions really add a ton of flavour, thank you so much!

I didn’t tweak the “Your favourite past time was to…” options as they are all stat raisers (flirting raises your charm stat) I did phrase it that way cause I thought it would be slightly more light hearted haha

I fixed the gender thing, but is it okay if you could point me to the exact instance? Haha cause I am using variables and sometimes it mixes up. Sorry!

As for this… don’t worry haha you will have your chance :wink:

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! I’m truly indebted.

@nauhziy This is the part where my cute and feminine girl friend wakes up as a grown up man with moustache xD

You convince a few of your friends to follow you to the supposed area of the hangout. Boadicea is convinced that it is a bad idea, but he follows you anyway.

“I think this is where they are hiding out” Boadicea stops in front of an abandoned looking house. A chill runs down your spine. Putting on a brave front you say…

Let’s go in, we must confront the gang!
Actually… I remembered that I had to go home early today, let’s go!

I will send you a message later with the rest of things I have found, once I have them ready xD

As for the stats raisers, I get you now. Maybe it would be the same having to choice between feats of strength, learning the history of your people, or partying with other nobility. Rather than having two charm with different sex and one brawl and one brains, now you have one of each, without sex oriented trouble xD

1 Like

@nauhziy i look forward to seeing this completed. I think your random generator was quite inventive and gives the game a good edge on replays due to it. I do hope your the first to complete a game set in Rome it would be something spectacular. Please do keep up the good work!

1 Like

It does that each time I choose my sex and it does that with both “boy” and “girl” and with each nation

1 Like

Sorry about that! Thanks for letting me know, I made a few changes to the code but forgot to upload it. Fixed! (:

is there a way to become a influential person in Rome after you free yourself from being a gladiator??

1 Like

Just up of " Your gang members" you can see “shethinking ?”

1 Like

My pleasure, Nauhziy, and by the way very good game, it really has potential.

1 Like

In the first line we can see " the rest of your gang scattering to shake off the solders " I don’t think I need to tell you where is the mistake :wink:

1 Like

What? Never saw a solder? They are the elite among the elite, true warriors of breathtaking loyalty and justice xD

3 Likes

@Josetrayamar
Aha! I have fixed the portion where Boadicea becomes a man haha. Thank you!

I will think more about this. Perhaps people might want to have a straight and homosexual option? I see your point tho!

@Assassin3006
Thank you for your encouragement! I hope so too :slight_smile:

@Revan_Alek_Shan
Well, as of now, I would like to focus on your journey to freedom. I would think what happens after that could have the potential to be the subject of the sequel. I am interested to explore politics, a spartacus styled rebellion, or maybe, you could climb your way to emperor/dictator of rome. Or you could go back to your homeland. The possibilities are endless! I would like to know what options you might be interested in.

@Guillaume_Gilbert
I have fixed the typos! Thank you so much :smile:! Haha I’m glad you liked it! Do you happen to have any suggestions that could improve the game? Or perhaps things you might like to see in the next few chapters?

@Josetrayamar
Aye, so you have heard of them too :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I think it would be good to

1. Try to get out of this mess because after all a noble forced to become a gladiator might want to just try and escape while a peasant might think that it is an opportunity to bring fame to the name of his/her family
  2. In the second chapter could you become the one that ask for tributes from everyone or you know just get in any of the other clique
1 Like

The writing seems pretty strong so far. Clean and paced well for the alpha version, and the first chapter was fun. I love the fact that you can leave character generation to chance, too.

I’d probably have more feedback if I weren’t goofing off in the middle of packing. Just wanted to say I’m looking forward to seeing more of this one!

1 Like