Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

I playing this MC as having a lot of pride. They where meant to lead their people and command armies, not be some noble’s or anyone else’s plaything. While she detests being treated as property she isn’t stupid either. For example I didn’t help the slave that tried to escape because it was pointless, he wasn’t going anywhere. When the slaves were thrown bread and acted like animals fighting over scraps She maintains her dignity, even when it’s offered from her friend she would refuse. When they where looking for people to fight each other on the ship she only volunteered when her friend was in danger. (I won with no injuries too) I even had her spare the gang leader in the beginning after beating them. I’m kind of interested to see what happens because of that.

1 Like

[Update 180717]

1. Tenses fixed to present tense on advice from @ChaoticMind
  2. Fight system fixed for balance/realism following feedback from @Urban

@Urban
I’ve adjusted the fight system so that it’s now more realistic! So given 3 possible outcomes for the stat check → pass pass, pass fail, fail fail, there are three possible values for the rand adjuster → 2, 0 and -2. Hope this makes the experience better! :smile:

@apple

Well… hahaha all I can say is that there are quite a fair bit of hints peppered into the text beforehand, so pay attention to what Antonius says. Also, if your MC is smart enough, he/she would be able to make a couple of logical deductions :wink:

I might add a few more people into that market scene… just to mix it up a little muhahaha

@Prof_Chaos
Your MC sounds like someone I would definitely make friends with if I were a slave. Practical, yet dignified and honourable. It’s hard to keep your head when thrown into such desperate situations and her selflessness is definitely respectable :slight_smile: All I can say is great job so far and I hope the next chapter won’t disappoint!

What motivates your MC to stay true to her pride though? Revenge on her nemesis? Protecting her best friend? Or simply the noble tradition and code of honour?

2 Likes

soo when …me and my “wife” will…you know…start acting as couple?..Romance

1 Like

I would say the are elements of all of them. She would have been raised to have this mentality so there is a sense of tradition, she will not allow her will to be broken she has the heart of a warrior and a noble soul. She will protect what she holds dear, more so now because she was unable to do so before. For now she focuses on what’s in front of her. Once she attains freedom she will find the answers she seeks and make right the injustice thrust upon her family, friends, and fellow kinsmen forced into this ordeal.

1 Like

Damn. Looks like I’m late to the party :cry: @idonotlikeusernames @Quaintrelle

@idonotlikeusernames

This… I would hate to ever cross you… Haha truly vicious. I’m really enjoying the creativity you have for tormenting/ getting your revenge on Kraterous. Indeed, learning how to read, write and count, as well as the necessary business skill would allow your MC to completely and utterly manipulate Kraterous to the point where even his noble background would not save his sorry skin.

Although there must be cleaner ways, I am guessing you are going to revel in the joy of extending your nemesis’ suffering beyond anything humanely bearable hahaha.

Back then, literacy was not a priority, especially in the sphere of gladiators. But of course, with influence and money, anything is possible. I would say that it’s always a sacrifice, becoming literate would definitely be highly beneficial, especially in the late game, but then it means a harder time against opponents who have spent their time honing their martial skills, or even political opponents who spend the time socializing and influencing people.

Vis a vis conversational Latin, which would definitely come in handy when dealing with Romans. Being able to speak the language, whilst not a panacea to all your problems, certainly breaks down communication barriers and this is super helpful (as it has already proven). In fact, I find writing the parts for Latin illiterate MCs super tedious. The struggle is very real. That being said. Racial stereotypes would be hard to break even with your MC speaking perfect Latin. Not sure if I will want to delve into this touchy issue though :thinking:

I shall see if I can think of a way to incorporate this whilst keeping the balance of the game intact without making it too easy to pick up Latin. I still want players to struggle with the language barrier and the fact that we are even having this conversation means that it’s somewhat working hahaha :slight_smile::wink:

Oh you… what happened to fairytale romance and disneyland optimism!!! :smile:

P.S. I must say, I am very impressed by your deduction skills

2 Likes

I end up in this part(The man in the beige tunic does not waste much time on introductions. All you know is that he is a vilicus, or the overseer of a nearby mine. Antonius had said something about togas being a Roman right, does this mean that the vilicus is a slave or freedman? You aren’t given much time to ponder as the vilicus leads his newly purchased slaves through the streets of Ariminium with a certain urgency.

[Work in Progress] - Let me know if you end up here.)

1 Like

Ahhh it’s a pity :confused: It would be a dream to visit the museums in Europe, with all the incredible history and stories. Have you ever dreamt of living in a certain period?

Well, that’s awesome! Y’know what they say, aim for the moon, land among the stars haha. But to be honest, I would say just go for it! Who knows, you might be keeping the next best-seller shelved up in your laptop :wink: When you do release your WiP, let me know alright! :smile:

Ahhh yes, I was actually looking for similar games myself! But then I realised that there weren’t many which explored this niche and those which did were mostly fighting beat 'em ups. I’m already
planning (read: daydreaming) about a sequel that would explore Ludus management/ an uprising but we won’t be getting there anytime soon xD

Well, it was a simple and effective method to maintain discipline and curb dissent. And the damage is on the back, so essentially, aesthetically and functionally, the slave is still sellable. Also, a whole seller like Lucius would be less concerned about the long term future of a slave compared to… say an owner.

But yes, what they did is vile. No less.

2 Likes

@Logan3000x
Hmmmmmm… hahahaha well this is still not in the adult section so… but first, you need to break out of the friend-zone. Yes. Even in a ChoiceScript game. And no, I’m not sorry xD

What are your stats? And did you snub both Romans in the market scene?

@Prof_Chaos

A worthy cause, truly befitting of a true lady of noble birth. I find your MC inspirational (is that weird? hahaha), and I’m kinda excited to see how she progresses as she is thrust into new, impossible decisions. I truly hope she doesn’t slowly give in to temptations and corruption, as so many are. What about romance though? Is that even on her radar?

So here’s the funny thing, I like strong female protagonists and I make them such when I have the choice. However when it comes to romance I will only take other females into consideration because I’m only interested in females. I think I tend to put a bit of myself into my MCs and that happens to be part of it. I can only be really invested if the RO is female. I guess I’m funny that way.

So for her yes it would be possible. Especially for one with similar principals as hers. Another female warrior perhaps or gladiator if that happens. Maybe it would be someone after she attains freedom but I think I would be so much better to develop the relationship when she is still going threw this ordeal. Or perhaps a daughter or retainer of the one who “owns” her, someone who also has the spark of one meant to lead, preferably another warrior. (I have a thing for strong women lol)

I noticed the way I’m building her totally coincides with the tattoo I gave her. The wise dragon, a sage with the wisdom to guide her people and the strength to protect them. I’m guessing this raises the leadership stat when picked right?

1 Like

Character Details
Name: Maximun
Race: Gallic
Background: Noble
Denarii: 0

Character Stats
Leadership: 36%
Strength: 52%
Charm: 34%
Intellect: 36%

yes I looked down to all of them

1 Like

Not sure, what you mean by cleaner, just kill him? Like we presumably did to dozens of opponents in the arena, that wouldn’t really give my mc any sort of fulfillment, particularly if he did not strike the killing blow himself, so wasting money on hired assassins is pretty much not an option for him. He’d also very much prefer to keep his old nemesis alive.

Awww…thanks, nothing like a good bit of revenge to keep oneself motivated to do whatever it takes, right?

The “dancing girl” thing is something I would have liked my mc to be able to do to Kraterious had they both been slightly older during the alley robbery scene.

Well that remains the plan, become a good and wealthy enough businessman (assuming we get the right kind of manumission for that) and then follow the flow of money to and from Kraterous and his family and then make sure those revenue streams dry up one by one, until he has no other choice but to sell himself into slavery as one of those expensive Greek educated slaves, at which point my mc will make sure to buy him.

It should be doable if we survive the arena and get the good kind of Roman manumission as many of the Rome’s best businessmen were freedmen, as the true patricians largely viewed such activities as being beneath them. Like I said before while they were still second class citizens the good kind of manumission did give those freedmen the ability to enter into equal contracts with Roman citizens, something that was vital to be truly successful in business in Rome and something non-citizen merchants lacked.

That depends, it at that point it may be enough for my mc to know he holds his childhood nemesis/tormentor/crush utterly in his power. Besides why buy such an expensive, educated slave just to damage the goods. But if by humiliation you mean making him a waiter and entertainment at my mc’s parties or having him scrub floors and be a junior scribe in my mc’s business, then yes.
On the other hand, unlike my mc he’ll never have to endure being a plantation slave or a gladiator. So how much humiliation he’ll feel will depend on how prideful of a noble he is/used to be. I’m guessing our dear Kraterous is very arrogant and prideful indeed, so that should up the humiliation but in absolute terms I guess he’d still be a fairly decently treated house slave. It’s just my mc won’t ever manumit him, once he has him.

So it means having a more difficult mid-game for a (much) easier and more fulfilling late-game. Well I guess that’s fair and my mc will agree with me that nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Yes, again it’s all about smart investments, keep martial skills just good enough while investing in literacy, numeracy and commerce/business skills. Unlike martial skills those have the added benefit that they should stay with us well into our old age. And of course they’re absolutely crucial if my mc ever wants to gain the means to truly take revenge on the one responsible for his enslavement in the first place.

Not much time for that as a gladiator either and even as a second class citizen freedmen Roman politics will remain barred to our mc’s anyway. Other than backing certain candidates with money should we become wealthy enough for that our options there will always remain woefully limited. That why it should help to hopefully have our master’s cute son as an influential political ally and lover.
The other option should my mc become a wealthy freedman businessman would be our own son(s), as any sons born after we become second-class citizen freedmen would themselves be full Roman citizens with the ability to enter politics. Though having to build up any son(s) to be in advantageous positions would I think impose too much of a delay on his revenge plans. He wants to get at Kraterous while they’re hopefully both still relatively young. Something that is not compatible with having to wait to get our children into politically useful positions.

It should definitely come in handy true, though if we do get sold to the Colosseum or a gladiator troupe it does lose much of its value until such time we would no longer be a gladiator.
As there would not be much real dealing, as in building networks and lasting relationships, with them while we’re still a gladiator. Some gladiators were somewhat in demand as essentially exotic whores to the Roman upper classes, but that doesn’t really build any lasting relationships of any great use or value. Still being respectful and polite should help some, as would doing certain “stunts” that help make the mc more popular with the arena crowds, as that has both a greater chance to see us spared whenever we do lose some matches and should award us greater price money.
While my mc has little trouble serving men, the fate of becoming a lust object for young girls and women as would commonly befall many gladiators then, as it does pop-stars now would be the more difficult thing for my gay mc.

Fortunately for my main mc he’s Greek, which is the next best thing to be if one cannot be a born Roman, much like being a second-class citizen freedmen would be the next best thing to actually being a Roman citizen. So there would still be some incentive for getting rid of any noticeable accent.

True, the plantation does not afford us much opportunity to learn the language through osmosis, like I said the main objection my mc would have to learning under the watchful eye of the masters is that he can no longer pretend to not speak Latin any longer and for the time being he’d still have an accent too. It was a very hard choice between conversational Latin or finally picking up basic numeracy for my mc. Still literacy and numeracy would now be next on his list, even if it is a slight disappointment the steward would only teach him to speak, and not write it .

Umm…knowing something about ancient Rome, maybe. :grin:

Actually while ancient history is cool and very intriguing, the greatest likelihood would be that you would be a slave or desperately poor, so my main dreams are of a more gay friendly (far) future and that would be the period I’d probably like to experience most. Also starships, lasers and death rays “pew pew”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aww…my former teachers at university, community college and law school would be so proud.

Either a slave, which in our case is confirmed by the code, or a free non-citizen. though the latter was more common in the Roman colonies.

2 Likes

I’ve incorporated a love of the past by surrounding myself with reminders and objects that are reminiscent of all the cultures I have never known but would have loved to, whether in my exotic decor–touches of a Roman bathhouse or Egyptian temple, clothing or ornate jewelry, and even hobbies such as bellydancing. If you can’t sate your travel lust for a myriad of reasons, perhaps buying a representation of your favorite artwork, listening to music played on dead instruments, or even writing a satirical verse on a bit of papyrus might help inspire and transport a wonderful, wandering mind.

Is this time period your passion? A time when they longed to build balance and order from madness and chaos all while remaining mad and chaotic. :wink:

Mm. Both physically and in more abstract terms have I dreamt of belonging sometime before. There is the big three of course: Greece and Rome–Egypt featured most prominently in my zeal–then the rush of ideas and longing for betterment in the Italian Renaissance, the fashions of the Palace of Versailles pre-revolution, anytime really where and when art has flourished. I firmly believe we’ve all been everywhere once upon a time and sometimes we just can’t let go…

I’m going to buy a star and name it after my WIP link. :blush:

More would be lovely, no matter the wait.

I think he’s going rogue on you…

Wait, Lucius is referring to the lash here…or my female MC? :cry:

2 Likes

Hmm thats really interesting haha. Almost like a wonder woman esque character. Haha its definitely a unique one!

Ah its good to hear that the iron lady does have a heart of flesh hahaha. I can only imagine what would happen if two alpha females have a serious relationship.

This would definitely make for some really interesting RO options.

Ahaha each tattoo is uniquely personal and tells its own story, so perhaps your MC’s is the manifestation of her ideals and image? That would be pretty cool wouldnt it!

1 Like

Hmm. As with the others, why did you snub both of the romans? Your stats would have earned youthe employ of at least one of them

1 Like

Well, one would be to challenge him to a duel, or wipe out his entire family lineage (the chinese used to do this) haha. Or a simple knife in the dark.

But yes. I see what you mean. That would not quench the need for complete and utter revenge would it. Ahahaha. Motivation… or fear. More often than not it seems to be one and the same :wink:

This sounds like a mafia-esque turf war. But I am sure even with a legitimate business, you would not be opposed to certain… alternatives to gain an upper hand in business? Or is it a case of “I am going to beat you at your own game”

Yes. It all comes back to the condition of surviving the stint in the arena. If you may. Haha definitely won’t be an easy journey, but it seems like you have planned it all out.

And to do so might risk your own life. Take everything away from a man, and he has nothing to lose. A drastic plummet from nobility to becoming a slave under his enemy, he might simple come up with devious devices to assasinate you. Wouldn’t that be a concern?

Well this is the plan for now… but we all know that execution is almost always never according to plan hahaha

Yes of course. Highly astute observation there. But how much is enough? Will it ever be enough? You are, after all, pitting your life against career gladiators and some of the very best.

I apologise for my ambiguity. I had meant the deeper, vicious prison/clique politics in the ludus. But yes, as we have already experienced, having powerful Roman allies will definitely help, some more than others.

This is definitely viable. And any legacy to be carved out in the Roman society would heavily depend on your children. One of the reasons why the PlayerCode came up was also to see how you could, perhaps pass on your traits to your children.

It is true that Latin might not have as much value in the pits or arena, it will still be a lingua franca of sorts amongst the gladiators, many of whom were Roman volunteers. And of course, as exotic pleasure slaves. Not sure how I can write that in without being bumped into the mature section. But I will try hahaha

Mature content (?)

Hmm but would your MC be okay to be tossed around as an exotic sex slave? To men and/or women. Also taking into consideration that reader will be reading with modern perspectives.
Hmmm

Ah yes. Much of Rome and Greek culture interlapped, and being a greek was much better than another “barbarian” slave. So i might consider improving the initial built of greeks to be more roman friendly.

A pity, but one mist consider that such tutelage in itself is a gesture of magnanimity. Master Brutus had no reason to do so, perhaps other than to increase your value but he wouldn’t do that… would he?

So true. But still we don’t see that very often, because history is written by the rich and powerful, not the average person on the streets. Besides, I suppose it would have made for rather poor telling.

You don’t have to answer this, but what’s the difference between community college, university and law school? Isn’t college/university one and the same?

2 Likes

Wow that’s sound really beautiful. Spiritual even. It must be really interesting to immerse yourself in that moment. Even though we are probably looking back at history with rose-tinted glasses, I think its super fascinating to perhaps imagine and wander how it would have been like if we were born then instead of now.

Well, then as it is now. Have things changed? For me I think it’s more of a fascination with stories, idealogy and politics than a passion. I find it very interesting to kind of dissect the psychology and perspective of the people in the past, especially highly influential and powerful people. For me some of it still centers upon Asian legends. Beyond the big three, there’s the legacy of Ghengis Khan, and the incredible history and culture of China. To even more recently, European colonialism and the world wars.

That’s an interesting thought. I read somewhere that we are all of a single conscience and everything we do unto others is an act done to ourselves, in another life time.

Insolent… and churlish. I will have him whipped for damaging the goods!

Ooh good catch. I’ll fix it!

1 Like

Finally got chance to go through all of this properly today (played it at the start, but was keen to try out the new chapters). And just wow! Loved it :smiley:

Really enjoyed being able to play through as a privileged Gaul, who is suddenly thrown into this new life with no title to protect her and trying to figure it out.

Also, totally falling for Vicetorix :wink:

3 Likes

Naw, both would end far too quickly and the simple knife in the dark is both a waste of money and brings zero fulfillment.

Motivation and anger more like.

Honor is for the weak, besides in those ancient times most legitimate business was very cutthroat too, as it was the time before better business bureau’s and anti-thrust agencies.

Kraterous’ game seems to be more fancy clothes and decadent parties, not whatever his family’s business is. Many nobles were historically vulnerable by their disdain for business, as you’ve already written into the game many had educated stewards to take care of those boring, mundane matters for them and many of Rome’s most successful businessmen were those second-class citizen freedmen (and their direct descendants). Probably because while they were nominally Roman citizens they were denied a place in its politics, but they could contract with the Patricians on equal terms, so the business world was wide open to them.

Well it helps to have a plan to keep oneself motivated to persevere.

You’d think an mc who survives the Arena would be used to the risk.

Happened to many (former) nobles of those provinces Rome conquered (and to the noble mc). For the most part they adapted.
There’s also possibly this trope at play and while my mc certainly remember his old nemesis, for him having the mc disposed of might have just been Tuesday, particularly given the vast and nearly unbridgeable social gap between them in antiquity.

It would not set him free however. In fact my mc may partly cover against this by leaving a will to his heir that says to transfer that slave to the most miserable, dangerous position we’ve got. So if he thought the second-best position a slave in antiquity, as a relatively well-treated house slave, much like the mc on the Cato path, could have was misery, wait until he sees the galleys, chained to an oar.
Side note, I’m honestly surprised the slave trader in the beginning didn’t have a galley and made his stronger male stock row it during that voyage. While not all merchants used them those who valued speed, and that included most slave traders, did if they could afford it.

Lastly that assumes he can be more devious than my mc, from a position as the house’s most closely watched slave at that. Remember my mc would keep him around for strictly personal reasons, not profit or efficiency.

True, but an empty life of decadence where he never gets to attempt true revenge, which is what a lack of any education would seem to condemn us to post-manumission, should we make it that far, is not something that would be at all appealing to my mc. He’s not someone to put all his trust in another educated slave or freedman to manage any money he’s made and basically tell him how to run a business and household.

Well, notably for gay men like me, dynasties in the ancient world worked by passing on the family name, rather than the bloodline as it became under Christianity and would allow adopting an heir if one does not have biological children of one’s own. Of course if they both make it to freedom, then with her permission my mc could try for children with his best friend, even if he does not love her romantically in that way. They would hardly be the first husband and wife in those particular circumstances.

Still his revenge would be deeply personal and he’d be unlikely to involve any sons he may have to deeply in, as this would be one area where they should stay out of his affairs, except perhaps for that slight role in any last will and testament as to the disposition of Kraterous, should he own the guy by then.

Of course, it has all the benefits of making communication a bit easier even there. Just not as much as it would for a house or educated slave, though still more than on the plantation or in the mines of course.
Understanding it would always come in handy, whether my mc would deign to speak it himself, unless it is with people who already know he speaks it now, is another.

I see your point, if you wanted to you could, just like with manumission, afford to sacrifice a bit of historical accuracy there. My mc would not be okay with it, but then he’d hardly be in a position to do anything about it. Though you’d probably be better off avoiding the subject and sacrificing a bit of historical accuracy there as it would likely go against some of CoG’s policies to depict such non-consensual things.
What you might allow instead is for the mc to strictly optionally sleep with wealthy Romans in exchange for gifts or favours with no penalty except for (slightly) less chance for a thumbs-up if we lose and of course a bit less money.

Like another poster already mentioned for the Greek noble specifically Latin would not be optional during the time period and for the Greek merchant background it could be optional, like it is for the nobles of the other backgrounds. But they would at least have far more opportunity and encouragement to learn it than non-Greeks.

Considering he seems to be the rare patrician businessman who truly cares about business the conclusion seems self-evident here. I’m honestly amazed we could choose what to learn from his steward at all as it may have been more logical and potentially profitable for him to instruct the guy to teach us to speak Latin first, no matter what.

Still while the slave masters and lanista’s of the Arena would probably be pleased that we can understand them without a translator they may be less keen on conversation and would probably not be bothered by a slave who mostly chooses to answer in “yes and no” short and terse answers, with emphasis on the “yes, master” of course.:wink:
As for the most part they’d want combat, not conversation, out of us.

Community college is more pleasant and diverse age-wise, but less prestigious then University. Still after the bullying experiences I received at university during my bachelor phase I had no desire to return there for a masters degree. The fact is I would have also been a bit older then most students by then as I did a stint as a political aide for a couple of years in-between the two. Law school in this country is the 2.5 years that come after university, so a form of post-graduate education, even if it is a good deal more practice oriented then most such things, particularly the Phd. Note that it is also academically possible to get a Phd in legal studies and that is a very different path from law school, though some do enter the other after having completed the other one. I have neither the money, time nor desire for a Phd in legal studies though. If I never have to write an academic paper or thesis again it would be too soon, imho.

1 Like

She is one of my favorites, except for the Injustice Wonder Woman. She’s a bitch lol. Harley is the best character in that universe.

That’s something I’d like to see.

That’s a good way of looking at it.

1 Like

@Seraphinite
Wow thanks for playing through my WiP! Big fan of your work, its such an honour :blush:

How is the storyline thus far? Would love to hear your thoughts on pacing and writing!

@Prof_Chaos
Hahaha loved the latest movie. And harley quinn is totally in a league of her own. What an incredible character!!

1 Like