Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

About chapter 3:

Itā€™s impossible to be a slave for the rich Roman as a Gaul, I trained intellect but it wasnā€™t enough.

1 Like

line 765 catobrutusfight bad label
or is there were the game finish?

1 Like

just a heads up, I got an error in chapter 3

chapter3_slavemarket line 783: invalid indent, expected at least one line in ā€˜ifā€™ true block

1 Like

Hey guys, Chapter 3 is not finished! Hahaha i wasnt kidding with the warnings haha i just decided to upload whatever i had so far so that you guys could kind of get a taste of it? (And as a reward for testing the player code system)

So yes its a bit unbalanced now and im in the process of streamlining the flow and writing out the events and story for it!! Sorry for the miscommunication!!

Iā€™ll officially open chapter 3 when its ready. But thank you so much for testing out the player code system and trying it out!

@Urban @anon4518890 @Phantoms
How is chapter 3 so far for yall? (Before yall ran into errors) in terms of the story and choices. And also did the player codes work for you? Positive and negative feedback are both welcomed!

1 Like

Wow i must have missed out a goto or label there. Thanks for pointing it out! Iā€™ll fix it when iā€™m back with my laptop. Thank you @Urban! Youā€™ve been awesome with the error spotting :smile: really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Fixed! There was a typo in the temp variable I used to determine the *goto. Thanks @Urban!

[spoiler]Also, in order to become a slave for the first roman, I used some randomisation. So even if your stats are high, if you are unlucky, the owner might look you over. But of course, having high, balanced stats would make you more likely to be sold to him.

It is much easier to get sold to the second roman if you were of noble/merchant backgrounds and performed decently in the various events in chapter 1/2.

For the last slave buyer, you will be sold regardless if you fail the tests of the first two romans.

Hope this clarifies the issue! I will still tweak the stats to balance out the gameplay :slight_smile:

P.S. Also, some of your intuition might not be correct (The MCā€™s thoughts about what Romans might like to see in a slave). And thereā€™s also the luck aspect, (imagine walking through a mall and not buying the best available product since you just didnā€™t realise how good it was etc etc)[/spoiler]

ā€œI donā€™t normally do thisā€¦ā€ He turns to Antonius, ā€œHow much for the slave with the eyes?ā€ Antonius smiles, eager to make another deal. The two Romans haggle briefly over the price before a decent sum of denarii changes hands. ā€œPleasure doing business with you.ā€ Antonius gives your new owner a greasy smile.

I know there is something wrong here, but this scene was very funny the first time I read it :smile:.

Despite having worked here for a year, this part of the villa was foreign to you.

It was stated before that my character worked there for 2 years.

She suddenly sometimesps on the Brutianā€™s foot, distracting him as she shoves her entire sword right through the Brutian.

I think this should be steps.

And could you make it easier to get the rich Roman as the MCā€™s owner? I had to restart 8 times to get it.

1 Like

If you donā€™t mind me asking, what were your stats like? I would say that itā€™s extremely hard to work for the first roman unless you are of noble birth, literate in latin and performed well for all the chapters. Iā€™ll run a couple of random tests to check the difficulty of it! But to be honest, all three owners will give you an interesting story :slight_smile:

I assumed you finished both the chapter 3 playthroughs for the House of Cato and the House of Brutus havenā€™t done up the last one yet. Any thoughts/feedback so far? :smile:

Thanks for spotting the errors and typos. I realised I did not include best friendā€™s characteristics into the Player Code. curses myself for my carelessness. I will edit the Player Code again!

My character is a noble Gaul, literate in Latin, did well against the gang and defeated the Thracian.
My stats:
Character Stats
Leadership: 32%
Strength: 55%
Charm: 37%
Intellect: 32%

I had the highest intellect available for a Gaul, and the noble kept saying my MC wasnā€™t smart enough, even when I inflated my intellect.

The reason I want to go to Catoā€™s path instead of the other is because I liked Aurelia more than Horatia.

I have only finished the Catoā€™s path, but I did read a little of Brutusā€™ path.
The start of Catoā€™s path is a little boring, I understand the real life of a housekeeping slave would be like that, but as a reader I think there should be at least one action scene, like the one in Brutusā€™ path.
I think there should be at least one opportunity to talk with Boadicea in this path, they are pretending to be married, but the player has almost no interactions with her. At least on the Brutusā€™ path you can plan the ambush and even take a bath with her.

1 Like

Not sure if its just me but i got an error when your from catoā€™s house and are preparing to fight

chapter3_slavemarket line 765: bad label catobrutusfight

1 Like

Itā€™s the end of the demo.

1 Like

Good, I remember I was playing from brutusā€™ house and I got the ā€œThanks for playingā€ screen so I thought it was an error.

1 Like

i like it, have nothing negative to say about it,
hmmm is the daughter of cato going to be a Ro?

1 Like

@LordTurtle
Soā€¦ you have infringed upon my tiny ego and I have taken up your challenge. The new and improved PlayerCode v.Enigma system is up! (Read: please donā€™t hack it and show the world your 99, 99, 99 stats too soon, at least wait a day or two hahaha) I trust that it wouldnā€™t take long for you to figure it out once you look at the backend code/ run the old Player Code through the converter a couple of times.

But just for the fun of it, Iā€™ll love to see you post another screenshot with hacked stats (without looking at the backend/using the old PlayerCode). May the odds be ever in your favour.

@everyoneelse
Soā€¦ Iā€™ve implemented the new system to prevent hacks and force players to keep their authentic playthroughs. There will still be ways to cheat tho. (As the determined cheaters amongst you will soon discover, but I have decided that Iā€™d rather spend time to write chapter 3 and the rest than continue developing this feature)

Another reason why I implemented the new system was because as the numbers got longer, ChoiceScript would abbreviate the numbers to for example 1.237218310+e27 or something like that. This really messed up the data encoded and hence I didnā€™t have much of a choice either. Anddd i forgot to encode your best friendā€™s unique features heh. Apologies in advance to those holding the old PlayCodes! Not to worry, I have included a code converter.

I hope that this PlayerCode system has been helpful for you guys! I hated clicking through WIPs when my webpage accidentally refreshes grr, and also through my own WIP to jump to certain scenes. (*goto_scene didnā€™t cut it as the stats didnā€™t carry over).

Let me know if the new system or the old system is better! And if you guys have ideas for new features/storyline, let me know as well :smile: Also, decided to mess around with achievements and added a couple. Iā€™ll reply the rest tomorrow, brain is dead now. Really appreciate the feedback so far! Thanks guys :smile:

lol I canā€™t remember what my best friend looked like so I just chose her appearance myself.

Love the story so far and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

1 Like

Save plugin is broken

1 Like

Hi! Sorry about the technical issues :confused: may i know which part is broken?

The save plugin. I canā€™t save.

1 Like

@Prof_Chaos
Did you select perma death at the start of the game?

I donā€™t think so. I will try again to be sure.

@nauhziy disregard it works

1 Like