Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Sorry for the horribly late reply to your questions!

I just got to play the whole of Chapter 4 and Vicetorix… that kiss…/swoons/

Great timing choice to have it there, it fit in really well with the whole scene and what was going on! And the descriptions were lovely-a good balance of physical and emotional response, which is so much better than just physical description!

I love the author’s voice throughout, some great comedic moments to add a bit of lightness after some heavier scenes.
Also the fact you relay information about how to win through the story, and the player can follow that and do better. It’s like learning along with the character and those plot moments are actually having an effect on how the player does (example: when you say it’s morning and the player does best when standing on the east side- you don’t tell people, you just put it in the story and the reader has to pay attention, which is awesome)…I don’t think any of that made sense, but it’s all just really brilliant :smiley:

It was the first time I kind of interacted with Decius this time (I’ve always ended up in Brutus), and I was really taken in him by him very quickly. You have amazing character writing skills!

This whole game and story is just fantastic, and I know I say it every time, but I am here on the sidelines cheering you on! You’re doing so well :smiley:

4 Likes

@CaesarCzech
I’m glad we managed to come to an agreement! Don’t worry too much about it :smile: Of course I would love you to continue testing the game. Any and all feedback is great (whether I will act upon it, of course, is not guaranteed) but I would love to hear what you think!

Thank you for understanding my point of view too! Hope it helps to clarify things :smile:

@Seraphinite
hey there! No worries, also, CONGRATULATIONS on posting your game to HG! Well done!!! I’ve been wanting to play it for a long time now but everything has been kinda swamping me rn. Guess I’ll have to buy it when it comes out! I’m excited!!

Haha thank you so much for your comments too! I’m happy you enjoyed the scene. I’m not too experienced with intimate scenes so that’s really good to hear. Also glad to hear that you liked the narration and some game mechanics in the story. It’s always a fine line to walk between keeping things interesting and yet not too absurd/difficult/easy.

Ahh yes! It looks like Vicetorix is facing some stiff competition :wink:

Thank you so much! I’m sure you know what I mean when I say that these small words of encouragement really goes a heck of a long way to making the story fall into place and keeping me sane :smile: Thank you and I can’t wait to get the rest of it out for you to play through!!!

3 Likes

@beta testers
Hey guys!

Here’s a quick update for you guys. Chapter 5 is almost done and I’ll be pushing it out this weekend in tranches so I don’t get all of yall sending me feedback to fix the same problems haha. There’s no hard deadline for your feedback, especially with the holiday season and all, but I’ll appreciate it if you can send in your feedback by early Jan so that I have time to revise the content and so that you guys can start playing chapter 6!

tl;dr I’ll be sending out chapter 5 to you guys soon!

P.S. For the people who indicated interest but have not replied to my requests, I’ll put you guys on hold first. Hope you understand!

Thanks everyone!!! Super grateful for all your help!

10 Likes

@beta testers
Hey guys!

I just sent out the next round of beta testing so check your inboxes!!! For those who have yet to play it, Chapter 5 is a tantalizing 30 000 words and I hope its gna be one hell of a ride for you!

Apart from that, have a happy holiday everyone!! And thank you so much for making this project such an exciting one!!

6 Likes

I curse myself for not applying to this beta :frowning:.
I didn’t even remember when it began.

3 Likes

Geeze lad, I didn’t get any notifications ! I’m heading to it right now !

1 Like

@Urban

For you, I’m more than happy to open up another slot!! Only if you’re up for it of course! You’ve been helping this project since the very beginning and it would be awesome to hear what you think!

Count me in then :smiley:

1 Like

@Urban
Sweet! I’ll drop you a dm!

When beta testing is open I would like to join and give my personal feedback. I can’t say i have much exprience I but I would like to try

1 Like

@Elizabeth_Cason
Hey!

I’m sorry but the beta test is closed for now as I want to keep it to a few people so that its manageable. But don’t worry, once I’m done with it (hopefully sooner rather than later) you’ll be able to get your hands on it!!

Apologies and thanks for offering to help!!! I’m more than grateful for the offer :smile:

4 Likes

k liked it it has a grate story

1 Like

how close you are at finishing it

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for dropping by and playing through the open beta. Which part of it did you like the most? Hmm, I would like to think that I can finish it before the end of the month. But we will see hahaha

1 Like

Since someone else already answered that question I’ll go ahead and solve the rest of the riddle in case someone else might get confused:

Afternoon shift:
8x5 = 40 (Divide 40 with 10 = 4) Answer: 4

Night shift:

6x5 = 30 (Divide 30 with 10 = 3) Answer: 3

So the answer is 2 morning shifts, 4 afternoon shifts, 3 night shifts.

5 Likes

I found a few things to point out:
-“African”, as you refer to a few slaves during the game feels too contemporary, but it might be a pet peeve of mine, and I’m probably mistaken anyway.
-When I decided to remain neutral between Taurus and Gisila, I get a lot of comments about Taurus, but it’s as if Gisila had disappeared. (e.g.)“Having eaten till you could hardly move, you manage to sneak a few pieces of food back down for Agapios and Taurus. (gisila?) = stayed neutral”
-Roast meats and sweet wines are piled high upon your plate and you dine like a king. (in this one, I’d love to read I dine like a queen, since I am playing as a girl and it feels way better.)
Oh, and by playing Greek merchant in the mines I was called “wife” without ever telling my master my BF was my husband.
Otherwise, great game! I’m replaying it now to see how it affects my choices!

2 Likes

the Romes where the ones to name the continent as ‘Africa’

4 Likes

Nice to know! Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

@Fay
Thanks for the explanation! It’s quite simple (I think!) and I was just messing around with the problem to bring something new to the table!

@NatsDemilla
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll look into it and change the tones to be more gender specific! (I do sometimes fall into gender cliches but I’m working on it!!!)

Ahh and yes African was a term already used back then, but otherwise, good catch for the Gisila Taurus scenario! Thank you so much :smile:

4 Likes

Review finally done lad, waiting for your response !

1 Like