Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Aurelia is from Cato path. Boadicea is the childhood friend if your MC is male I believe.

1 Like

Male and from Gaul.

Egyptian males get Ebe, and I donā€™t know about Greeks.

2 Likes

Ok thatā€™s why I was confused. I always pick a female character and the only childhood friend I remembered was a male. I didnā€™t know they changed depending on gender- interesting!

1 Like

Sheā€™s called Dionysia if youā€™re Greek.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s what spending an hour of looking at the code will do to your MC.

1 Like

@nauhziy speaking of stats, will leadership ever be used?

1 Like

It is used in pulling people out of the rubble or something like that I donā€™t remember but when you rile up other slaves to help, and so I think itā€™s kinda like leadership stat in ZE-SHā€¦

1 Like

@cottoncandy
Yep! I gender flipped the best friends so each race has a pair of possible best friends! The idea is that thereā€™s these 2 best friends, and you can kind of think of it as playing as either one of them hahaha. If that makes sense?

@AAO
I take that as a compliment haha I think you probably know the stats better than I do ><

@Urban @AmericanShakespeare
Up till now itā€™s been very cursory. But then again your MC hasnā€™t really been in group situations. I envision it as a late game stat though, to be used in conjunction with things like renown. But donā€™t quote me on it ><

Iā€™m currently writing (and failing horribly) about the ludus dynamics. And with any bunch of highly testosterone charged men and womenā€¦

9 Likes

I just wanted to drop in and say I played the demo again recently and Iā€™m still so excited by it!

It was the first time I played with a Latin-literate character and wow did it open up a whole new bunch of stuff :smiley:

Also, Iā€™m falling more and more for the best friend :wink: Seriously though, this is such an incredible game- good luck with it and know Iā€™m cheering on your progress from the sidelines, lol!

13 Likes

This is a gooooood game. I love it.

Played through the Cato and Mine Slave paths so far. The Mine Slave one reminded me of a certain docudrama I watched a while ago, Colosseum: Romeā€™s Arena of Death. Seeing as the main characters have an almost identical fight to the Mine Slave one, I imagine you watched it too?

1 Like

Are Catoā€™s valueā€™s messed up? Iā€™ve been a good slave I feel like the give it your all choice should at least give a small boost to their relationship

He should know my name at the very least.

Ah, I got the cheater achievement, fitting. Well itā€™s easier than the normal way.

BAM!!! Your fists land with a resounding smash, sending shock waves of pain through Boadicea, who quickly realises your ploy. she counters with a quick backhand but you quickly drop back!

cap she

1 Like

@Seraphinite
Hi there!

Awesome haha Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it! Was a little afraid that all the effort spent into branching would have gone to waste hahaha :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your support!!! It really means the world to me and pushes me on to write that 100-200 words even at the end of crazy long work/school/life days. Iā€™m sure you can relate to the super power that all authors have - staring at a screen for 4 hours ā€œwritingā€ and coming up with nothing to show for it haha. Thank you so much for your kind words!!! It really means a lot :smile:

How did you find the Chapter 4 teaser? Were there any good/bad things that stood out for you? And for the best friend, do you have comments on any of the scenes? Haha itā€™s the first time Iā€™m writing anything remotely romantic so your thoughts would be super helpful (:

@Perfect_Storm
:smile::smile::smile: Thatā€™s really awesome to hear! It really keeps me going at it (: Do you have any comments on particular parts of the story / the relationship between characters? Perhaps some parts that felt weird and didnā€™t flow, or parts that were particular good?

Waittttt no way. Are you serious?? Hahaha I donā€™t remember watching that haha. But Iā€™ve to admit that I re-watched the Gladiator (the Russell Crowe) one, read a few books, watched some youtube videos and read a few journals/articles to prep the material for this so maybe I might have been influenced by one of those.

Hmmā€¦ I watched Colosseum: A Gladiatorā€™s Story on youtube! Which was a documentary and the mine slave route was quite heavily based on that! Maybe itā€™s the same documentary? hahaha.

@Dark_Stalker
Hmm. I must take a look at the values again, I might have forgotten to change them. Thank you for letting me know!

And yes I definitely missed out the logic here. Iā€™ll fix it, thank you for reporting!

And here too! :smile: :smile:

Hahahaha tsk tsk. It was fun writing in that achievement hahaha. Wellā€¦ itā€™s normal hahaha we all cheat >< the reason why the player code is so convoluted in the first place was because the first one was too easy to cheat with HAHA. Youā€™re still welcome to study the code and tweak your player code to give you max stats haha.

But thanks again for the continuity/ grammar reports! Super duper helpful :smile: How was the Cato path for you? Did anything stand out in particular? Esp bad/ weird parts?

1 Like

I was kinda disappointed that reporting Elder Catoā€™s death really had no effect for me. Otherwise itā€™s my favorite path, since Iā€™ve interacted with more of the Cato family.

2 Likes

@nauhziy Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™re thinking of the same one, I might have buggered the name. I remember that the main charactersā€™ names were Verus and Priscus, one lean and dark haired the other buff as hell and blond. I watched it an age ago, so Iā€™m probably misremembering some things.

Iā€™ve not really gone over it looking for errors or the like, just been enjoying it. Iā€™ll be sure to go back and have another go.

1 Like

@Dark_Stalker
Hmm, that makes a ton of sense! I will look into it. Thank you!

@Perfect_Storm
Hahaha I think it is! Heh it was a pretty good documentary though! And I got a lot of information and mental imagery from there :smile: Ahh I see, no worries! Thanks anyway (:

2 Likes

Cheers lad, been having a hell lot of fun playing as tattooed Gallic noble ! You sure know about the stuff youā€™re writting about so as far as interaction and combat goes, I fully trust you and your work. Great stuff, lovely. But I thought, will our gladiator get the opportunity to distinguish himself in the arena from others (and be known) through an external sign or feature ? Such as a little trinket reminiscent of home (think of a gold torque for the Gaul) or an extra tattoo, distinctive head-gear, bonding with an animal perhaps, ā€¦ so on, you get the idea. Might be a little fun thing to add. Donā€™t be afraid to make the world around us living with small everyday stuff like strolling down the streets for whatever you wish. And so thereā€™s lots of material for for comic relief to be had too !

As for romance, one cannot underestimate how popular it is with the players. You shouldnā€™t be afraid to add such scenes with both established characters (think of your BFF) or with random opportunities. Gladiators were very popular and a great one had his fair share of groupies or pleasure girlsā€¦ think of that one scene in Spartacus. Donā€™t be afraid to make raunchy or explicit at timesā€¦ thatā€™s always fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep it up lad. :+1:

2 Likes

Just found this WIP and love it, hope this get released someday, really great work.

Quick question: I am pretty sure I canā€™t be the first to ask this, but is polygamy going to be a thing in this game? Itā€™s historically valid in the given context.

1 Like

Were slaves allowed to have multiple wives though? Because bear in mind that while we may be able to become a great gladiator and champion of the arena and cover ourselves in glory and all thatā€¦weā€™re still a slave until we gain our freedom.

2 Likes

On that matter, are slave marriages even legally recognized by Romans?

2 Likes

Sure, the greatest disadvantage was that arena champions and victors were often lend out to ā€œpleaseā€ their masterā€™s patrons without any say in the matter. Though because of both CoG policy and likely simply our current morality about it I believe this is one of those things were the author is again deviating from strict historical accuracy and the mc in-game can in fact refuse such things, though that may or may not have other consequences.

2 Likes