Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Do note that in practice it was only the household and educated slaves who benefited, or at least benefited most from this. There would obviously be no wearing the master’s clothes or a banquet for non-household slaves. Public slaves and likely plantation slaves if the master was feeling kind would likely get the day off and better rations while in the mines it would likely have been mostly business as usual as one of the things mine overseers liked was for their slaves to lose all track of time, so no use reminding them by celebrating holidays.
So for the story it would likely have the most value on the Cato path, the plantation slaves on the Brutus path likely get the day off and maybe their own “banquet” of better than normal rations, but not much more then that. For those in the mines they probably wouldn’t celebrate or even be reminded of Saturnalia at all.

1 Like

that is something to keep in mind

1 Like

You forgot the orgies.

1 Like

I think everyone was trying to avoid talking about that but yup that was a thing

1 Like

Yeah, I did not forget it or try to avoid it. I just copy-pasted from Wikipedia like I said. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@anon4518890
Patience my friend. Don’t expect to go in and have all the noble ROs swooning and falling head over heels for your MC, who is a slave. There will be interactions, and it will be up to you to decide how you would want to angle your approach :wink:

No spoilers yet, but I will try to tie it to what was historically plausible - owners could either rent or sell their slaves to the ludus, where they would fight for the ludus.

Short answer: Not anytime soon
Long answer: You will need to find a way to secure your manumission first. And then after that head on back to sate your thirst for revenge!!! So… not anytime soon haha

@kingzug @Urban @FutbolDude21586 @idonotlikeusernames
That’s pretty interesting! It would require a dreadful amount of humility for a Roman owner to bend over and serve his/her slaves. I think that this was more or less just an excuse to revel in wanton debauchary and imbibe unsafe amounts of alcohol hahaha.

Also, it will severely test my writing ability with an orgy scene HAHAHA

It would be interesting to include such a festival into the story, I’ll definitely read more and see if I can somehow write it in! But first, I have a lot of work to do on chapter 3, and also chapter 4.

@everyone
Apologies for the lack of updates, I’m moving halfway across the world for a year long internship in about 1.5 days time so I’ve been terribly busy meeting friends and family as well as generally getting my shit together. Its a super exciting time for me, but that also means I’ll be working and studying and writing. Which is never a good combination but I’ll try my best!

I’m currently working on Chapter 3 (mine slave route) + switching the “2 years pass by” to something more palatable so stay tuned for that! Thanks @Urban for the great suggestions :smile:

6 Likes

Romans were said to very kind to their slaves often encouraging them with bonuses (obviously not all of them) luckily we aren’t in ancient Sparta they beat their slave not because they wanted to but because it was required by law also they wanted to

1 Like

This would go back to what @idonotlikeusernames said about different classes of slaves. Valuable skilled slaves such as tutors and accountants would be treated much better than say, plantation or mine slaves simply because they were much more expensive, hence it would make little sense to beat/whip your prized asset, somewhat like how it would be rather stupid to crash your prized aston martin or cadillac.

The Romans realised early on that that a motivated slave is much more productive than a fearful slave. There is even a treatise written about how to motivate and incentivise slaves to work for you. But again, these were merely guidelines, and it was not against the law for owners to beat, mutilate, rape or kill their slaves as they were not considered humans but mere property.

2 Likes

So we lose the fight at the end of chapter three no matter what? Not really a fan of that. I would like a chance to win.

2 Likes

you have a nice way of replying, kind of like mine :rofl:, is pretty funny :smile:

so i may still can think it can be one of the options / path for us then?

then , will the noble ros be one way to do it? for us to get revenge :thinking:

1 Like

No, you can win the fight, but you will always pass out because of exhaustion or injuries.

1 Like

I get beat every time and I have good stats so idk

It has a stat check that says stat check strength < 40 and mine is 55 and I still fail this bit. I have no idea why I’m losing.

1 Like

You did the Brutus path quite well even Roman plantation slaves were considerably better treated than say those in the Carribean or Antebellum South in the US, simply because they could still escape relatively easily and if they were fellow Mediterranean people, such as my Greek mc, blend into the general population relatively easily, helped by the fact that Romans usually did not (with the notable exception of some convicts and mine slaves, so mine path had better behave) brand or collar or otherwise mark their slaves. The prevailing theory being that it wouldn’t do for slaves to see at a glance how numerous they often were as a group and get any funny ideas about rising up into their heads.

1 Like

@Prof_Chaos
No you can win the fight, but like @Urban said, you pass out eventually. Hmm that’s curious, there is a strength multiplier but even at its lowest its set at 0.8*55 which should be 44 so you should still clear the strength check. How do you know that you failed it?

@anon4518890
Hahaha I try my best >< Hmm what do you mean it can be one of the paths? Do explain. Hahaha and wrt the noble RO, do what you think works, maybe they will help you, maybe they will just use you, maybe they will abandon you. You really never know :wink:

@idonotlikeusernames
Thank you haha. Ah yes that makes sense, but at the same time those were very different periods with different circumstances. But yes that makes sense, the ease at which an escaped Greek slave could masquerade as a regular freedman would make owners extremely wary.

This is also true, I read that public slaves were to dress like Romans due to this

1 Like

by one of the paths i mean if us going to the colisseum can be to earn the honor and maybe something from the house we serve, kind of like making a pact with the leader of the one we serve.

1 Like

@anon4518890
The diplomatic options and relationship with your owner and house would likely depend on how you act/perform. If you win a lot, they will probably favour you and fund you, kind of like a sponsor. And yes you would probably earn honour and glory along the way hahaha

But on the flip side if you don’t perform, (and don’t die in the arena), things with your owners could get pretty dicey, or they might just not care about you. It really depends! (:

4 Likes

@nauhziy you said there is a way to win the fight, so I’m guessing that if the MC’s name is being cheered they won. But I’m pretty sure the MC’s friend still gets another shot at them before they pass out, which makes me think that the MC lost no matter what they do.

1 Like

Hmm which part makes you feel this way? But a win-loss at this stage isn’t a matter of life or death (kinda?)

@everyone
I’m terribly sorry for more or less disappearing off the face of the earth, its been a crazy 10 days getting acclimatized to a new city, new weather and a new job (school hasn’t even start whattt). So don’t have any expectations as of yet, I’ll try to grind out more content :wink:

2 Likes

I remember it saying that they are able to hit you before you pass out. So with them getting the last shot in they win the fight. They then look like the better warrior which is not ok. It’s more of a pride thing I think. She will defeat all opponents before her, even if they are friends. To be fair he did want a serious fight, and I know why he would have wanted one.

1 Like

In that case you might have lost the fight, even though I agree that its quite ambiguous now that I read it again. If you win the fight, there should be a comment about the lanista’s expression/comments.