(WIP) The Fate of the Empire [UPDATED: 29/8/21]

Oh yeah I saw the thread about softly. Pretty neat app, will help out a lot I’m sure.

Yeah that’d divide it into the paths and focus it on a single path and keep things manageable.

Good luck! Wish you all the very best :beers:

True true. :blush:

2 Likes

For organization, you can see post 39.

There is no class system in the armed forces of Riyasan, if one has merit then one is commissioned, as such it is full of commoners and nobility alike.

The equipment is the same as a 1800 French army.

Logistics are handled by staff officers, who are also responsible for the issuing of orders and commands.

The headquarters of the Imperial Army are situated in Fort Rawal which is near Karcia, the navy’s headquarters are in Filera.

The highest rank in the Imperial Army is of lieutenant General (some generals are also awarded the honourary title of Marshal of the Empire) and the supreme commander is the Sovereign themselves. They can chose to lead a campaign on their own or appoint a Lieutenant General to take command.

The food supplied to the army depends where they are stationed and what is cheap, although bread, soup and vegetables are staple diet.
Army is supplied by supply wagons whenever it is possible do so. If it is not possible (which happens often on campaigns) then the army lives off the land.

The culture of the armed forces can be described by their motto, “Terror Belli, Decus Pacis”, Terror in war, Ornament in peace.

12 Likes

Thanks for answering my previous ask RedEmperor.

Do they have notable landmarks? Besides the imperial palace, like a grand cathedral, university, castles, towers, marketplace, ports, arenas, etc.

Also newspaper something like the Karcia Gazette maybe.

Can you engage in new infrastructure projects? :building_construction:

2 Likes

I haven’t thought about all of them so for now there are three landmarks.

1. Imperial Palace
  2. Opera House of Filera
  3. Rawal Fort

There are a lot of newspapers but I haven’t decided their names yet.

And you can make new infrastructure (planning and funding).

11 Likes

What are the details of the aristocratic system? (Legal authority for each title, requirements for raising the title, when the title may be lost or demoted, etc.)

Is it possible to reform or abolish the aristocratic system?

What medals, pensions and other national rewards does riyasan have?

4 Likes

Aristocrats are a bit like ministers. They decide policy which is implemented by the bureaucracy, so a noble may decide to build a school or hospital on his land which would then be handled by the officials.

One of the foremost duties of the aristocracy is to collect taxes for the Imperial Crown, failing to do so is considered treason. All taxes are sent to Karcia where budgets are allocated for all kingdoms (which in turn allot budgets to their sub-divisions)

The titles can be removed (and head) from a noble (not their family) for treason only.

The Sovereign can raise anyone to nobility as long as the Shura does not object (which they do, a lot)

The only reform right now for aristocracy would be the taxation of their private incomes as they are currently exempt from taxation.
You can abolished the aristocracy (good luck doing that legally!)

Right now there are only two medals for the military (I will add some more, for civilians also)

1. Grand Star of Bravery
  2. Star of Bravery

There are also honours which are given by the Imperial government (more will be added)

1. Knighthoods
  2. Marshal of the Empire
  3. Hero of the Empire (anyone with a medal is considered a hero)
  4. Martyr of the Empire (anyone who has died for the Empire is a martyr)
13 Likes

Is there something like a political party or political salon in riyasan? What kind of political ideas and interest groups do you have? How do politicians and bureaucrats work?

What kind of laws and systems does the royal family have and what kind of culture does it have? (For example, succession order, food culture, court culture, whether laws different from those of ordinary people and aristocrats apply, clothes including formal wear, positions in the court, relationship between the court and the government, etc.)

7 Likes

Are there narcotics or illegal substances in this world?

2 Likes

@11110

Political parties don’t exist in Riyasan however, salons where political theorists and philosophy discuss matters are present throughout the Empire, but an element of secrecy surrounds these meetings as the Dept. of Intelligence doesn’t like them.
Political theorists have ideas and opinions on all sorts of things.

If by royal family you mean Imperial, then the Imperial family only consists of

1. Previous Sovereign and their spouse (if they are alive)
  2. Current Sovereign and their spouse.
  3. The Heir(s) of the Empire.

Anyone else no matter how close they are (be that emotionally or biological) are not a part of the Imperial family.
The children of the Sovereign which are not heirs have to give up the Imperial name of “Sinnah” and take up the surname of the closest non Imperial ancestor.

The Sovereign can choose anyone to be their heir at any time, even if they are not biologically related (hasn’t happened yet)

I haven’t thought about food as I don’t know much about food :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Clothing of the Imperial Court

On casual occasions the Sovereign dresses in a garment commonly called “Imperial long shirt” or “Imperial long coat” (it is gender neutral)

It is similar to this (minus the hat, Sovereigns never cover their heads as a sign of humility)

(This is M. A. Jinnah)

While on ceremonial occasions, this is worn (minus the wig)

Voet-duque_de_medinacelli-prado
(This is Medinacelli)

The Empress can also wear this on causal occasions

download

While on ceremonial occasions

download (1)
(This is Josephine Bonaparte)

The everyday well off commoners usually wear this

220px-BrummellDighton1805
(This is Brummell Dighton)

As non-binary Sovereign, you can wear whatever you like.

The nobility usually wears frock coats on top of waist coats with tricorne hats.

The court of the Sovereign is purely advisory in nature and unofficial as such, those who are considered to be in this court do not have any specific title or position.
The officials don’t like anyone who gives advice to the Sovereign, they believe that the bureaucracy ought to have a monopoly on advice.
The Nobility usually wears frock coats on top of waistcoat with tricorne hats.

@KingKaiser_8000

There is opium and its derivatives, and tobacco but not much else.
It is legal to trade and consume everywhere (except Sambron)

Riyasan is the largest exporter of opium while Angesa is the largest export of tobacco.

Republic of Forli is currently consuming large amounts of opium which is leading to sociopolitical tention within the young Republic.

8 Likes

Do they celebrate holidays in this world? like Christmas or Thanksgiving for example.:christmas_tree::turkey::tada::confetti_ball:

Also is there a calendar? And does everyone use the same calendar or are they different ones depending on the nation or religion?:spiral_calendar:

I noticed there is no marquees/marchioness titles is there a reason for that? Could you potentiality make the title during your reign?

3 Likes

What is the bureaucracy? (For example, what departments do each ministry have and what are the criteria for hiring and promoting officials?)

And what kind of medical care and education are provided to members of the imperial family? And what is the daily life of the members of the imperial family?

5 Likes

Does the MC have any siblings or are they the only child?

9 Likes

@Sparking_Lighting

Yup! There are a lot of holidays, both national and religious.

All of the world uses a single calendar which begins at the collapse of the Urda and Lakin civilizations. (it happened at the same time)

Charudians and Eamanvallas have their own religious calendar which begins at the birth of their respective prophets, but it is used only by the clergies.

I skipped the Marquess title initially because the word “Marquess” makes me feel a bit weird (I have no idea why), but I will add it when I update the game.

@11110

Officials for lower posts are hired when they are needed (and laid off when they are not). They only need to be literate.

For a higher post and office, a bureaucrat must study at the University of Karcia for the departments they wish to be in. After that, they must pass an entrance exam for the civil service and secure their seat in Riyasan Civil Academy (RCA) where they are trained for 6 months.

Then, the bureaucrats must pass their “passing out” or final exams. (which are notoriously difficulty)
Only then can they be a part of the Imperial government as an official.

@KingMac1700
Yes, the MC is an only child which may or may not have a significant effect on the plot.

16 Likes

Does the MC have any like bestfriend or childhood friend that sticks with him or accompanies him or get a chance too?

5 Likes

Yup! MC has a childhood friend who is the Prince of Cirusan, but MC hasn’t seen him for about 2 years now. (he will be introduced in chapter 2)

10 Likes

When it says that the MC can be a minister, does “minister” mean that the MC will nominally be the head of the Intelligence Department? I was thinking yes, but wanted to confirm that.

Also - what rank will the MC start at if they choose the army route? Sort of an honorary general without a specific command sort of like how they are an honorary king/queen without any real authority attached to the title?

2 Likes

MC would be the actual minister of the department, that doesn’t mean you could do whatever you want. There would be a permanent secretary to guide you.

In the army route MC will be granted the full rank of captain with an unit to command.

The reason why MC will have such a low rank in the army as compared to being a minister is simple.

If you mess things up as a minister then there would be more paperwork for that day.
If you mess things up as a general then there would be a lot of funerals that day.

That is why MC will be limited to the rank of a mere captain

12 Likes

Ok cool, that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how Riyasan balanced the need to make sure the MC’s position as heir was respected but also factor in that they are completely lacking in experience. As minister, the secretary is always there to old our hand if we are no good.

In the Army it looks like we’ll need to prove our competence to move up which I like. That ties in well with the meritocratic nature of the army you indicated earlier as regards its attitude towards social class.

3 Likes

What exactly does the Ministry of Intelligence do? What kind of structure does it exist?

2 Likes

Ministry of intelligence is an information gathering government body which operates both, domestically and internationally.

It has spies all over Riyasan and the world.
It has a unit of “secret police” under its command which is used to bust treasonous and illegal activities domestically.

The Minister for the Dept. of Intelligence is also authorised by the Sovereign to judge cases of treason which makes them a part of the Court of the Empire.

(I haven’t fleshed out bureaucratic rankings and structures yet)

11 Likes