(WIP) The Bureau - Chapters 1-3+ (550k+ Total Words) UPDATED 03/14/2024

Sorry for the late reply. So I probably didn’t distinguish it enough with that phrasing, which I’ll fix in the next patch. That second “Behind the curtain.” was less of a descriptor and more the MC lingering on that specific thought running through their head. But you’re absolutely right, that reads pretty poorly and I should update that. Thank you for pointing it out!

4 Likes

Well, need more of this. Far too short… Then again, if you posted Chapter(s) 100+ I don’t think I would get enough.

Cast is a lovely mix. Hawks doesn’t really give me stoic emotionally constapated leader which is a refreshing (and kinda making me fall in love even more…)

And slight nitpick regarding stats…
Why have them as a seperate bars instead of conjoined? Example Offence | Defence being one? Not that it is of any significance to me… Just wondering…

Still a very good looking! I hope to see more of it in future

4 Likes

Isn’t it so the MC could train in both without sacrificing one or the other? :thinking:
Like, the MC is trained in one or the other at the start, but then they actually can train the other, without suddenly and magically becoming weaker in the one they were good at at first. Makes it more realistic in my opinion :rofl:

2 Likes

@Konoi true, true… I might picked an awful example. Better one would be shy and bold? They are opposite things, right? Then again, it is just nitpick and of no significance to story as a whole.

2 Likes

I’m very glad you’re enjoying the book so far and that you like Team Leader Hawks! I mainly put them all as separate bars for stats so that people may mix and match. So say if someone is Shy in social situations, but Bold in the field, they may do that if they want.

Thank you again for the kind words, and the next chapter will probably add another 150,000-250,000 words!

11 Likes

Yeah, like, my MC is charming and stuff, but in romantic situations he’s shy!

4 Likes

Hmm… Yeahhhh, when you put it that way it does make sense

2 Likes

I’ll keep an eye on your wip only because of Harper! Hehe :smiling_imp:

Joke aside, i hope you make the series in the far near future, very interesting setting!

1 Like

This is good!! So good!

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoyed it so far! I’m actually currently working on the next Harper/Carter scene now. It may be another couple of months until the next chapter but it will most certainly be worth it due to the size of the update!

8 Likes

Thanks so much, I’m glad you ended up enjoying it so far!

3 Likes

That is honestly one of my favorite combinations for sure

4 Likes

Romance do be scary and confusing…

1 Like

Hey all, I’m making this quick update on things because I don’t want the thread to get closed and I’m worried I may forget to later on. And this is for all intents and purposes just meant to update and be real with people - I promise I’m not looking for sympathy.

I had a pretty bad month mentally last month on top of all the schoolwork I had to get done so I didn’t really get time to write nearly as much as I wanted to. I never wrote because I felt like I had the obligation to (although sometimes those urges were strong) because I didn’t want the quality to suffer due to that. I only ever want to write things I’m proud of. That being said, Harper/Carter’s scene is coming along, and this is definitely the longest scene I’ve written thus far. It may be the longest scene of the entire book at this point aside from the ones in the final chapter that I’ve thought of. 52,000 words and not even halfway done yet (although it’s steadily nearing that point).

But yeah, just writing this to keep people up to date on everything. Sorry for the extra long wait. I was hoping to have the chapter done by next month but I don’t really know if that’s going to happen at this point unless something drastic changes. Everyone, I very much look forward to getting this chapter out to you. Stay safe out there.

38 Likes

Don’t rush yourself. Make sure its how you want it to be and don’t let things pressure you to think otherwise. We’ll all be here ready whenever you are. Make sure to take care of yourself too.

6 Likes

We are happy to see you!

you have fans (including me) in your corner :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Fully agree with this statement.

1 Like

Take some YOU time if you need it. :hugs:

5 Likes

I love your story so far, but your mental health is the most important thing. Take care of yourself, and I look forward to reading more when you are feeling up to it!

4 Likes

Hey all, with Harper/Carter’s scene finally coming to a close, this marks the halfway point for this chapter. I have an important question; since save files are indeed a thing, this means people who took other love interest routes could potentially play these and not have to worry about lessening their experience.

I’ll be honest, it could take another couple of months for me to get the other two scenes done, and I know it’s been a few months already since the last update. This update is sitting at about 150,000 words (including both iterations of single gendered MCT and multigendered MCT) and that’s only half the chapter. I’m highly considering releasing an update with the Eli/Art and Harp/Cart routes in it, simply because it has been so long and I feel like I could get some good feedback for it.

So I guess my question is, what do people think? Would it be okay to release an update where two of the LI routes are unfinished, or should I bite the bullet and hold off until the scene is completely done?

• Release the chapter in progress
  • Wait for Sarah/Samuel and Kris/Kristina’s routes to be written

0 voters

13 Likes