Hey all! I’ve lurked a bit on the forums and I’ve been working on this first chapter for maybe a month and a half now. It’s my very first attempt at a ChoiceScript game, and I haven’t written anything in recent years except TTRPG character backstories. I’ve always wanted to write, and I’ve always wanted to get at least one of my stories out in hopes that it could make someone forget about their problems. Please feel more than free to leave any feedback or bugs that appear, because I always want to get better. That being said; I hope you all enjoy Chapter 1 of The Bureau!
25 years ago, there was a shockwave that erupted from the center of the earth, genetically changing an entire generation of people. We called this mysterious phenomenon “The Pulse”. Since that time, there was an agency called The Bureau that was established to deal with important or urgent matters regarding the “Gifted” as we called them; the people affected by The Pulse. You were just being born as The Pulse was happening, and now, 25 years later, you find yourself joining The Bureau.
In a world filled with grief, love, mystery and murder… what story will you carve out for yourself? Where will you end up?
I realize there’s not as much focus on the MC in the first chapter as there probably should be, but I really wanted to make the first chapter about solidifying all the different characters and letting the reader get to know a little bit about all of them. Thank you again everyone for checking out, or even considering checking out my WIP! Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Currently it’s 1+2/3 Chapters and 423,568 words words in (excluding commands), and I plan on updating every time I complete a scene. It’s about 30k words per playthrough as of the most recent update!
Unofficial Updates (not in demo yet, but already written):
- Elizabeth/Arthur scene for the final part of chapter two is FINISHED! About 32,000 words in their scene alone.
- Added passive choices to both Kris/Kristina’s and Harper/Carter’s introduction.
- Finished the introduction scene (about 3000 words) to Chapter 2.
- Added additional passive choices to Kris/Kristina’s and Harper/Carter’s introductions.
- Made the reserved choice in the interview a bit less standoffish and more… well… reserved.
- Changed it so the Reserved option in the interview gives “Shy +15” instead of “Bold +15”.
- Changed multiple errors where it said “his” instead of “him”.
- Added a little more to Sarah/Samuel’s Scene 1.
- Worked on a couple more choices for Sarah/Samuel’s Scene 1.
- Completely finished the first part of Sarah/Samuel’s Scene 1! (Bringing Chapter 2 up to about 8,000 words).
- Dove into the meat of Sarah/Samuel’s Scene 1 and gotten about halfway through it, bringing Chapter 2 up to a total of about 12,000 words so far.
- FINISHED SARAH/SAMUEL’S SCENE ONE (bringing the chapter currently to a total of 18,000 words).
- Organized the stats page options more and added a Case Information page where you can review facts your character knows.
- Officially started working on Elizabeth/Arthur’s scene one!
- Close to finishing off Elizabeth/Arthur’s scene one!
- FINISHED ELIZABETH/ARTHUR’S SCENE ONE! This now brings the total word count (excluding coding) to 44,300 for chapter two alone so far. Bringing the total word count for the book so far to be about 83,900 words. Two more one-on-one scenes to go, then Chapter 2 will be a third of the way done! Thank you all for your patience!
- Almost done with Kristina/Kris’s scene one, bringing the total so far to about 52,000 words for chapter two!
- FINISHED KRISTINA/KRIS’S SCENE ONE! This brings the total word count of Chapter two up to about 54,000 words. Also starting Harper/Carter’s scene one today.
- FINISHED HARPER/CARTER’S SCENE ONE! This brings the total word count of Chapter Two up to about 68,800 words. All that’s left for the scene is the small group discussion, and then all this will be out for you guys to play!
- SCENE 1 OF CHAPTER TWO IS COMPLETE! Because of my chonky way of coding, my total word count thus far is at about 200,000 words (excluding commands). Demo update number 2 is live, and all updates including this one and everything above it will be moved to the Live Updates section!
- Made it so the Asexual choice allows you to choose a gender preference for romantic preference, if desired.
- Scene 2a of Chapter 2 is finished! Currently working on Scene 2b.
- All iterations of Scene 2 of Chapter Two are done! More content will be added to them before final release!
- SAVE SYSTEM IS A GO! You can now save your game on dashingdon!
- Harper/Carter and Elizabeth/Arthur’s scenes for the final scene of Chapter 2 are OUT!
- A new feature, extra scenes, are now in the game and will be added periodically. These are scenes you can view at any time from the extras menu when you unlock them. There are currently three scenes between Harper/Carter and Elizabeth/Arthur’s route to unlock!
- Drug Addiction
- Adult Themes
- Self-Harm/Suicidal Tendencies
As far as I’m aware, none of the current or future scenes involving these themes should be graphic enough to warrant an adult rating on the forum, but if I am mistaken about that or someone thinks otherwise, I am more than willing to consult with a moderator. I felt it necessary to put these warnings in here to make sure people were not blindsided by them when they came up.
At only 29, they are the Team Leader of the Mutation Control Team, the new unit you’ve been assigned to. They are proper, pragmatic, and analytical, and they hold themselves with the utmost confidence. Their stoicism is unmatched, but that doesn’t mean they don’t care. In fact, some might tell you it means exactly the opposite. Their sexuality is bisexual.
Out of your four new team members, they are the youngest Special Agent on the team, being only 26. Even so they are the only one who has a child; a daughter named Scarlett. Special Agent Lance is charming, strong, and flirtatious, and those traits are only trumped by their empathy and care for their fellow team members. Their sexuality is pansexual.
They are the same age as the Team Leader, sitting at 29 years old. However, rather than having their Team Leader’s confidence, they are very quiet, closed off and introverted by nature. They’re very emotional, but often don’t know how to handle or deal with those emotions, sometimes making them somewhat unpredictable. Their sexuality is demisexual.
They are the veteran Special Agent of the group, meaning they have been with The Bureau the longest and are the oldest. Having the most experience out of your new team, they are responsible, sarcastic, and wise. They often like to help out when they can and teach new people the ropes a bit because they know the ins and outs of The Bureau. That being said, they keep up with Special Agent Lance in terms of how much they can joke around. Their sexuality is bisexual.
Everyone, the official cover art for The Bureau is ready! Major thanks to ALEXSHU for putting this together for me. They’re a great artist and very accommodating to the changes I asked to earlier drafts, so if you’re looking for a cover art for your game I couldn’t recommend them enough! Here is the post I discovered them on ~ALEXSHU~ Illustrator for your story
Once again, thank you so much @alexshu for the amazing work!
To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/morbethgames/the-bureau-wip/mygame/
Tumblr Link: https://morbethgames.tumblr.com/