Call me Roast or Cela, whatever works.
I’ve wanted to write a choicescript game for years now but hey, quarantine does things to you, like kick your ass into gear and gets you to start writing.
This game updates on the 19th of every month… so far
Play the demo here!
Smoke & Velvet is a working title right now, it’s a cosmic horror story based on a world dissimilar to ours full of monsters and crystalline magic.
Check out the official tumblr @smokeandvelvet-cog
You’re a monstrous investigator in 1913, sent on the hunt for yet another case of many–except, if you botch this one up you’ll be sent back to jail for forever, your team gets scattered to the winds, and you’ll never have the answers you want for the mysterious sickness that’s plagued you. Surely that’s enough motivation for you, right?
Right now you can:
- Play as either a Basilisk, Hellhound, or a creature known as Living Porcelain.
- Play as non-binary, intersex, or trans. You can also choose to have top surgery or not.
- Play as any variation of Aromantic or Asexual (including sex comfortable Ace)
- Choose between four romanceable characters, three of whom you can choose their gender, the fourth being an AMAB trans woman.
- Deal with the mysterious sickness that’s plagued you and stolen your memories.
- All the while being forced to work for a company who charged you with a crime you may or may not have committed.
- Enjoy variable dialogs/flavor text based on your species, friendship levels, and rivalry vs. amiability levels with characters.
- Experience unique text and dialog based on your developing personality traits. Currently there are eight (8) personality types.
Things in the works:
- Polyamory is planned but as of yet not 100%.
- A toggle for particularly triggering scenes so readers can either skip or read watered down versions (IF the scenes I’m thinking of make it into the game to start with)
- Personality/Stats balancing will be an issue throughout writing, working on it
- Romance either one of your handlers, your mysterious monstrous counterpart, or the terribly bashful attendant
- A toggle to allow players to see what choices will affect which personality traits
Please be aware of the content warnings. Some of them sound scarier than they are but I want everyone to, first and foremost, be safe.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback, comments, etc!
What is available right now is a first draft that will go through a lot more edits as I write.
As of 05/19/2020
Demo word count w/command lines: 35,010
Demo word count w/o command lines: 30,508
• Revamped the personality system to a pillars of eternity inspired version (numerical personality types). HUGE Thanks to @SpokesWriter for providing the code for this. Mine was an awful awful mess.
• Expanded on the species backstories. Each species option has a unique backstory with different origins and experiences.
• Implemented relationship history, allowing your character to choose between a promiscuous romantic history, one that’s not so much, asexual, aromantic, aroace, and sex comfortable ace.
• Meet the rest of the cast! You can now meet Isla, Fatima, and Nico!
• Implemented tail options for hellhounds and basilisks
• Probably more that I’ve completely forgotten.