Call me Roast or Cela, whatever works.
I’ve wanted to write a choicescript game for years now but hey, quarantine does things to you, like kick your ass into gear and gets you to start writing.
This game updates on the 19th of every month
Play the demo here!
Check out the official tumblr @smokeandvelvet-cog
And the patreon! Where patrons gain early access to art I make for the game and an alpha version that is updated every two weeks, starting 08/07/2020! Patreon
Smoke & Velvet is a cosmic horror story based on a world dissimilar to ours full of monsters and magic.
You play as a monstrous parolee in 1913, forced to work for a company that investigates magical and monstrous phenomena. You’re set on a conundrum of a case with no easy answers, plaguing a town like the mysterious illness that plagues your body and has stolen bits of your memories–that are slowly starting to come back.
Solve the case, survive, get answers.
Right now you can:
- Play as either a Basilisk, Hellhound, or a creature known as Living Porcelain.
- Play as non-binary, intersex, or trans. You can also choose to have top surgery or not.
- Play as any variation of Aromantic or Asexual (including sex comfortable Ace)
- Choose between four romanceable characters, three of whom you can choose their gender, the fourth being an AMAB trans woman.
- Deal with the mysterious sickness that’s plagued you and stolen your memories.
- All the while being forced to work for a company who charged you with a crime you may or may not have committed.
- Enjoy variable dialogs/flavor text based on your species, friendship levels, and rivalry vs. amiability levels with characters.
- Experience unique text and dialog based on your developing personality traits. Currently there are eight (8) personality types.
Things in the works:
- A toggle for particularly triggering scenes so readers can either skip or read watered down versions (IF the scenes I’m thinking of make it into the game to start with)
- Personality/Stats balancing will be an issue throughout writing, working on it
- Romance either one of your handlers, your mysterious monstrous counterpart, or the terribly bashful attendant
Please be aware of the content warnings. Some of them sound scarier than they are but I want everyone to, first and foremost, be safe.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback, comments, etc!
What is available right now is a first draft that will go through a lot more edits as I write.
As of 07/19/2020
Demo word count w/command lines: 70,625
Demo word count w/o command lines: 62,715
Average word count per playthrough: ~24,400
- Polished randomized mixed trait bit - shouldn’t get duplicates anymore but let me know if you come upon any weird bits of text that don’t seem to make sense/are repetitive
- Introduced toggles for flirt and personality choice options, now you can choose to see if choices change your personality or are flirt options.
- Rewrote basically everything from the last update to accommodate more choices. I feel better about it now.
- Also learn more about both Nico and Isla with the rewritten updates.
- Made it so not just basilisks who chose the farm can decide last minute which one they’d like to go to.
- Rewrote stoic personality trait scenes to be less mean bc they were totally hella mean and that’s not the intention
- Added hair colors!
- Added a cute stumpy tail and a forked tail for basilisks
- Adde horn options for basilisks (saw fanart with horns on basilisk!MCs so I had to)
- Added a curled tail and dual tail for hellhounds
- Added topsurgery for trans individuals who start off with an AMAB/Intersex body that didn’t develop breasts.
- Nonbinary individuals can now pick their pronouns between the ‘big three’ she/he/they
- Personality trait balancing. You should be able to get more charming and stoic options/easier to trigger charming/stoic text.
- Added a small specific item you can include in your room decorations regardless of initial style choice.
Relatively small update this time :'D
• Added no relationship past to romantic/sexual experience choice
• Introduce new system to handle mixed trait personalities. Now, if your character has multiple personality traits equal to each other, the game will read which of those are dominant and randomly choose which text of those traits you’ll see in game.
• Expanded on character hair (just, there’s text now for when you pick your hair, no big)
• Other small edits and fixes.
The last scene in the demo is REALLY ROUGH imo and so needs a world of polishing but I also didn’t want to leave it out for the update since it’s already a pretty small update as is.
• Revamped the personality system to a pillars of eternity inspired version (numerical personality types). HUGE Thanks to @SpokesWriter for providing the code for this. Mine was an awful awful mess.
• Expanded on the species backstories. Each species option has a unique backstory with different origins and experiences.
• Implemented relationship history, allowing your character to choose between a promiscuous romantic history, one that’s not so much, asexual, aromantic, aroace, and sex comfortable ace.
• Meet the rest of the cast! You can now meet Isla, Fatima, and Nico!
• Implemented tail options for hellhounds and basilisks
• Probably more that I’ve completely forgotten.