[WiP] Not Your Mother's Shire (c11: The Once and Future Kink)

In Ch5, which psycho path did/will you choose?
  • False cheer.
  • Compartmentalization.
  • Self-aggrandizement.
  • Blame deflection.

0 voters

Which fighting style did/will you choose?
  • Sword with a side of shield.
  • Hammer a la carte.
  • Nunchuck kung-foolery.
  • Dual-wielding shields.

0 voters

Which Dragonsworn group did/will you take your meal with?
  • The prison guards playing the drinking game.
  • The trainees doing trivia.
  • The officers who possibly, if not certainly, hate you.

0 voters

Did/Will you shake Octo’s hand at the end of the chapter?
  • Yes.
  • No.

0 voters

I’ve tried several times and no matter what I pick I can’t get past this page:

2 Likes

@MadAdam I’m having a look into it now. @Mistyleaf123 was having the same problem. Do you get an error message? Or does your screen simply freeze up? Sorry for the trouble. :worried:

Ha! I found it! I wasn’t seeing it before because I wasn’t looking back far enough. The problem comes out of only the male Yester description based on your sexuality decision in Chapter 1. Believe it or not, the error was with one keystroke that subs out “soft” for “hard” when talking about male Yester’s chest. It should be fixed now, and I think you’ll see it’s worth it–best part.

@Mistyleaf123 If you still have your old save data that wasn’t working, would you try it now with the changes and tell me if it works? Also @MadAdam would you tell me if you’re able to get past that screen now. Thank you both so much for taking the time to post screenshots. This is exactly the kind of thing I can’t troubleshoot on my own. Inclusiveness has a way of complicating the hell out of code. Thank you again. Cheers!

2 Likes

I can pass it now! It works ^^ now i can feast my eyes on more hilarious scenes and laugh until my lungs give. jk, I’ll keep looking for errors!

1 Like

Works! Can’t wait to read the rest!

1 Like

Hey, nice game, I just wanted to point out that the save plugin still uses the default name “mygame”, this leads to saves being shared with other games which haven’t changed theirs as well, would you mind changing it?

3 Likes

Not at all! Should be done for you. Thanks so much for reading. @Vilrek Hopefully this won’t make save data created under the previous default name incompatible? If anyone could please let me know.

UPDATE: I’m about 16,000 words into Chapter 6, whose working title is “Life, Satire, Some Business.” (Say it out loud and see if you hear the joke.) The rest should come along much quicker as much of the harder work of structuring is finished. You will have to decide whether to track Vera with an injured Saz or to escape Saz with a poisoned Vera through the jungle to rebel HQ. You’ll navigate such terrain as the cannibalistic bamboo of Bamboo-zled Pass and brave such dangers as piranha flies, sentient darkness, and chame-lions until you reach the Black Canopy, where the overhead foliage is so dense that it shuts out all light! There will be intimate opportunities with Saz and Vera (leech and/or tick checks, anyone?), plus you’ll meet the sixth and final RO, Zale–my personal favorite.

BONUS: you’ll get to meet the inter-dimensional man of mystery Dumbledwarf, and Melvis, the mischievous sumo fairy. Yes, he is the world’s worst Elvis impersonator. I hope to also post draft cover art by end of week, so I’ll be interest to hear what people think. Cheers!

7 Likes

Unfortunately, I believe it does, but I think it’s better in the long run, thank you anyways!

1 Like

Cover: yay or nay? Needs to convey genre and tone (fantasy and comedy), resize well, leave space for words without needing them, make you want to buy the game . . .

Helpful for me if you have any thoughts Can you tell what’s being depicted? Is it funny? For those of you who have read: can you tell who they are?

Should this be used as the cover art?
  • Yes!
  • No!
  • Maybe, but with some changes.
  • This should cover the inside of a dumpster.

0 voters

3 Likes

This is chaos. I’m in love.

1 Like

this…this is…beautiful :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl:
Did you draw this?

2 Likes

I picked the inside of the dumpster choice for one reason…

This cover needs to be everywhere! I love it! That has to be painted on every surface, to include dumpsters! Please use this :joy:

6 Likes

I just designed the pencil layout. Someone helped me with the digital painting which is the actual hard work that makes it look good. I talked to Melvis, the sumo fairy, and he’s glad you think he’s beautiful. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Coming to a dumpster near you! I’m so glad you like it. I’ll definitely use it for something, since it’s, like, done and stuff. We’ll see how people like it at broad. Not just broad people. Narrow people too.

The art or the demo? I love chaos too!

Update: took some time to code Zale in as gender-swappable today to see how much it adds to people’s enjoyment. Some of the more intimate scenes coming up, if we want to discuss them, will have to be via DM or I’ll have to make a adult thread. We’ll see how it goes. :sweat: Since I changed the name of the save data, people might want to click through to Ch5 so they can play Ch6 when it drops. Sorry! More soon.

Ch7a, 7b, and 7c will be playable in any order, so I thought I’d see what order people want me to write them in. Ergo a poll. Poll away.

Which area do you want me to write first?
  • 7a Jungle Duchy, Bunkisi, the boy from Ch1, and (spoiler) Llorick’s return.
  • 7b Blizzard Duchy, Brr-Brr-A, the elf woman from Ch1, and (spoiler) Trudy’s return.
  • 7c Coastal Duchy, Splosh, Phill, and severe foolishness that might get me exiled from some respectable countries.
0 voters
3 Likes

My gods, I wasn’t ready to have to ignore a horse’s enormous penis. Nor my father’s for that matter.

2 Likes

I haven’t played it yet but can I just say I love the cover?

1 Like

Welp, I’ve finished Ch6! Thanks so much for your patience. It’s over 30k words but, since there are two paths: track Vera with Saz or evade Saz with Vera, you effectively only experience half of it in a single playthrough. You arrive at Rebel HQ for the slim remainder.

I will edit tomorrow. Barring the unforeseeable, I will post the chapter by 5pm CT. I will then plot whichever Ch7 is leading in the polls. So, vote if you care.

@OscarKane re: Equine Phallus. I thought about making it a skill check you could get stuck on for a few rolls. I should like to pin a poll to see how many players choose that option. Thanks so much for reading!

@Mango_Pirate You can and have! Thank you for doing so. A lot of the time I’m in an echo chamber of my own thoughts, so it’s nice to hear from someone else. Your dog is adorable, by the way. Cheers!

5 Likes

Excuse me? Get stuck… on the horse’s enormous penis. that’s just wrong…

1 Like

ooh, those are all some interesting chapters…I quite like Llorick, so I chose that one, but I really wanna see what severe foolishness could get you expelled from some countries.

Also yesterday my sister asked me what celery was; I have no hope left for her.

1 Like

Before I get myself in trouble, I should clarify (for those just arriving at the thread who haven’t read the story) we are not discussing actual bestiality. At the beginning of Ch4, you must decide how best to insult a horse. One option is to ignore its enormous genitals. When I said I wanted to make it a skill check, I meant you’d have to roll against your attention span, or your attention would remain (or “get stuck”) upon the image. I assure you, it’s all tastefully tasteless. Sorry if I’ve killed the joke, @OscarKane ; trying not to kill the thread.

Since I’ve already transgressed all decency: Phill has a scheme to extort semen from a royal dignitary. If you can make him . . . release into a magical chalice, he can sell a “royal bastard” to the highest bidder. Or let the dignitary outbid everyone else so he doesn’t have to explain it to his wife. That seems worthy of excommunication, no? The working title is “Chalice in Plunderland.”

To be fair, celery is among the worst of the vegetables. Those long strand-y things are weird, and they get caught in your teeth. Also, ew to the taste. However, it redeems itself for the way it flavors soup and/or jambalaya.

Ch6 coming up here in a minute. I’ll leave the Ch7 poll open a couple more days. Cheers!

7 Likes