[WiP] Morning Star: Heaven's Number One (fixed images + new demo 11/09/21)

Bruh I gotchu.

save*

I’m*
now*

then*

‘’[…] thinking…‘’, she […]‘’
‘‘The angels… if […]’’

your*

card*

Basically I think it’s pretty damn good so far. I like characters, especially Lilith (what’s new, huh) and story and am excited for future updates :relaxed: I’ll try to be on the lookout for any grammar mistakes but I have a short attention span so… :roll_eyes:
Anyway, good job hun!

6 Likes

I love you?

6 Likes

Oh damn Devils :joy_cat::smirk_cat::kissing_cat:,tbh Lilith is a crazy awesome character to start with…

4 Likes

Bookmarked and looking forward to see more of this!

2 Likes

I’ve had this WIP recommended and it didn’t disappoint :grin:

I have to wonder if we’ll need to keep Paloma far away from Lilith, especially romanced - she’s bound to freak out. In fact, I wonder if Lilith will always be possessive no matter what, considering what happened.

Looking forward to the next update :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

✩。:•.── MS: Demo Update ──.•:。✩

Morning Star Update 26/02/2021

Rest of chapter 3 (complete)

Hey gang, I updated MS! Get ready for the rest of chapter 3!

I am really happy how it turned out and the plot I included thanks to my dead SD card (cries internally). Yes, it’s gone for good, so I have to do weeks of reasearch again. I even did the Enochian language thing and prepared so many insults and endearments, but do not worry, I’m determined to do it again!

Total wordcount: 45.100 average playthrough: 28.900 new to this update: 21.000

• side up with either Polly or Mac
  • meet the angels Azrael and Araqiel
  • participate in a photoshoot
  • have a fling
  • changed some variables for better coding
  • added a new stat regarding your friendship with the characters (amiable/hostile)
  • AGAIN FIXED SAVE SYSTEM! OLD SAVES WILL BE SCREWED

!WARNING! for the NSFW scene: First of all it’s optional and you’ll be able to let it fade to black. I made it cannon that Lucifer is NOT a virgin , but you can choose to be aro/ace or both! I will only post the nsfw demo on my tumblr (it will be available on the pinned post) .

As for the next part of the game, you’ll finally meet Gabriel and Raphael, as well as your first detective work regarding the drug incident. I’m looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

86 Likes

Nice update! Haven’t met with Polly yet, but these are two typos I noticed in Mac’s route.

Missing a space between the comma and tired.

Missing a word here? Or maybe you meant sever instead of severe?

1 Like

@Nacre just spotted something minor on the stat page. When arranging the the Heterochromia iridum they don’t show. It jus says “eyes”.

2 Likes

typo- save

also is this supposed to be another page?

1 Like

Love the new demo keep up the good work

2 Likes

Thanks for the typos!!

@Mistyleaf123 I swear I changed that two times :’) I really don’t know what it is with me and that word

Also there are now slots for the nsfw demo :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Loving this so far! Especially the whole Lucifer nightclub thing. I really like the show and comics, so this is nice :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work! Can’t wait till this is finished!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, writing is a bit difficult these days, but I share sometimes snippets on my tumblr blog for those who didn’t know or don’t use social media.
Through this link you have access to them directly, so you don’t have to fight your way through :wink:

Have a nice day everyone :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

Hey there! Discovered this WIP yesterday, and obsessed as I am by angels and especially Lucifer, of course I had to play it!

Overall, it’s very interesting, though I’ll admit I have mixed feelings about a couple of details. I’m a bit sad that it isn’t possible to play a fully positive character, but well, since a “redemption path” seems possible, I’ll hold onto that for later. The other thing is a bit of a weird pet peeve of mine, but I don’t really like playing characters who have prior sexual experience - yes, I know, it’s weird :rofl: - still wish we had the choice about that. Oh well.

That aside, I didn’t really keep track of typos, but I did notice a couple of errors here and there, so I’ll list these:

Missing "art":

Most of the “art” - as in, image based chapter titles and stat categories and so on - was missing. I don’t really know why, it was as if the images were broken. I’ve reloaded a couple of times but it didn’t load.

If you go and meet with Paloma:

At some point after the part with the cat, the text says “There aren’t many with their pride still intact in her work of line.”
Should be “line of work”.

If you select to greet Ara with a friendly hug:

I believe the text that appears comes from two different options (not only the friendly hug one):

Ara’s expression becomes even warmer as she looks at you.

“Yes, it truly is,” she says, her hands still intertwined with yours. Ara gives you one last squeeze before she pulls away.

“Lucifer, it’s good to see you,” the Seraph greets you, once she’s close enough. “Same old troublemaker, aren’t you?”

The part about still holding hands etc makes sense, but the next one implies she only comes near at that point. So either only the first of the two segments should appear, or the phrasing makes it a bit confusing, since Ara’s already near and already greeted Lucifer.

And, aside from these things, I also have a couple of questions about how some things work, if you don’t mind!

Guilt stat:

I’m often a bit confused by how and why this bar goes up, and that specific stat doesn’t seem to be explained in the original post, only the opposed ones.
Like for example, in early chapter 2, if you select hope as the thing that keeps Lucifer moving, why does the Guilt bar go up? It’s not the only instance, but eh.

Somber stat:

A bit of a similar issue, even if that stat WAS explained - I don’t really understand what makes it go up, considering most choices that made it move didn’t seem like they would, at least in my mind. And well, I don’t really know what would make it go down either, since most “positive thinking” choices I’ve made didn’t seem to make it move.
For example, when first talking to Lev, why do the options “Tell her you don’t know” and “Ask her why she helped you” make the “Somber” stat go up?

Good vs Evil?:

The game and the hints in the original post seem to be giving contradicting messages about that?
In the game, Lucifer considers he has to keep balance between grace and corruption and it’s explained why is it, even if it obviously hurts him. But in the hints, it’s said that mixed feelings are not good, and well, as it is, NO choice I made had added to the Corruption stat. And honestly, I do like it that way (as you probably deduced from my comment about redemption route :sweat_smile:), but I don’t want to lock myself into a “loosing” path or something… And clearly, it doesn’t feel like a “Corruption doesn’t mean evil / Grace doesn’t mean good” situation.
Of course, the things the game says may not be necessarily true since it’s from Lucifer’s perspective, but I’d rather ask, just in case.

Grace and Corruption effects:

Are you planning to add (or maybe you already did) variables to the text depending on how high Lucifer’s Grace and/or Corruption are, or maybe which one is higher?
And do his wings get brighter and brighter if Grace grows and Corruption doesn’t? He probably doesn’t know if he doesn’t use his wings, but it would be nice if he has to, at some point.

About the photoshoot:

Just to be sure, selecting the option that says that sex is great but love is better, and then choosing NOT to spend time with any of the two people doesn’t lock me out of any romance related options later on? It looks a lot like one of these questions that serve to determine what gender the MC is attracted to, so again, I prefer to ask.

About Camus:

Could I get a more detailed description of him? The descriptions say that despite having grace, his age shows a bit but… how old DOES he look like? That’s pretty vague… And I just can’t get a clear picture of him in my mind because of that haha!

That being said, I really like the story, eh! The gripes I have are either minor or something related to the current situation and that may change in the future.
I really can’t wait to see Raphael appear though, considering he’ll certainly be the RO I’ll pursue, considering he’s the only male character among the avaible angels and demons (or well, demon). But well, he seems to be my type of character, so I don’t mind that much.

5 Likes

Okay so thank you for the nice words and especially the structure of your post (I have a short attention span and this is so clear):cherry_blossom:

I’ll take care of the other errors, but I have no idea why the images don’t show up; they do on my laptop, but somehow not on dashingdon. I will look into it in the next update.

Guilt

I keep avoiding the guilt stat because it would spoil too much of the story. I am well aware that it doesn’t seem to make any sense, but believe me when I say that I don’t add variables randomly (well most of the time lol). Just know that you need to feel guilty in order to make up for your mistakes. (It’s a requirement for the redemption path).

Somber stat

I admit the somber stat is a bit weird. I usually make it go up when you don’t answer in a charismatic or sarcastic way, instead seeking for simple answers without much emotion. I hope that makes it a bit more clear?

Good vs Evil

I do not define “Good” and “Evil” in the game; everything is relative! I simply give you the option to have reasons behind your actions. So there’s no such things as “Grace is good” and vice versa.

Also Lucifer had to keep the balance until the point where the game starts. Depending on the path you choose to go down, you can focus on either your Grace or Corruption (or adamantly try to keep the balance). But you have to know if there’s too much power on one side then it will have consequences. They do not have to be bad.

Grace/Corruption

Grace and Corruption will effect much more than text flavor my friend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Photoshoot

Don’t worry, nothing affects your sexuality/ attraction in any way. I know that this topic is a very complicated one and there are multiple orientations, so it’s just for the rpg effect, meaning that you had a choice (even tho it doesn’t matter lol). You can romance any character in any way no matter what you picked.

Camus

Camus doesn’t look like he needs a cane to walk, if that’s what you mean :joy: Usually angels have that “eternal youth” thing, as in they will look forever like they’re in their 20s. Camus just looks like he’s past his 30s; the white/gray hair makes him look older, as well as his hard features.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answers! And yeah, since I make very thorough “reports” usually, I prefer to structure them clearly - easier for me and easier for the authors!

I got it for the guilt! I was a bit confused, but as long as you say it’s fine, that’s okay!

The somber one still feels a bit strange to me, but okay. It’s not the most important one to me.

And gotcha for the photoshoot and for Camus!

So about Good vs Evil...

You say that “if there’s too much power on one side then it will have consequences. They do not have to be bad.” - I mean, I assumed that :rofl: - it would be stranger if it didn’t have consequences. But really, what I wanted to know was if not preserving equilibrium would automatically lock the player out of a positive ending. But oh well, with what you said, I assume it’s okay. Cause I really can’t force myself to choose the options that raise corruption - it’s not even a conscious way of avoiding these - when I answer naturally I simply don’t pick any, it seems.

Grace and Corruption...

Oh I KNOW it will have effects on major things :rofl: - again, how could it not?
I actually wanted to know if it’ll have effect on small flavor text in unimportant places too, instead of big things only! The question was intentionally about small things only. But well, since you said it would affect much more than that, I guess it means small flavor text will be affected too?

And also, I have to mention…
I may be a bit conflicted about some elements of the game as of now, but last night I had a DREAM about it. Sooo… I guess I really got attached? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A dream you say? Your poor subconsciousness (ʘ‿ʘ)

What if I told you… that this was my goal from the very beginning? :joy: (tho you’re probably confused about other things, but let’s ignore that)

Where’d you get that word jsdafhjdj?? ahem Sorry.
So, uh no, it doesn’t. Look, I already planned all the endings and all I can tell you is that consistency is key. Meaning: if you try to keep the balance, you have to do it until the end. If you want to be evil, you have to be really evil etc. Also the “good” ending might not be what you think it is, so again it depends on how you look at it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

And about the Grace/Corruption: there will be times where it affects how you approach some things and may lock you out of some choices too. These will be small things like you said.

That’s all I think!

PS:

I understand, but it’s canon that Lucifer has committed all seven sins at some point. I hope you still enjoy the story (which you obviously do, but still :kissing_heart:)

3 Likes

Well, that was basically the fear I had because of what was mentionned in the game :rofl:
But your previous answer reassured me about that.
Also, I don’t think anything about what the “good” ending is XD
That’s also why I was using a tentative “positive ending” instead of calling it good per se. I DO prefer having an ending that is positive, otherwise it’s just depressing, especially after a very long game, but it’s not common to NOT have an overall positive ending at all, even if it isn’t all good and nice and perfect.
As long as I have something more or less positive, I tend to be happy. I’m more lenient in visual novel where it’s more common for me to try and get all endings, since it’s usually easier and/or faster. And well, sometimes an ending that people deem negative is actually positive from my perspective, so eh :woman_shrugging:
For example, I don’t know if you played Sweet Pool, but the ending I consider the best / more positive is The Red Road. And, even if that’s not a visual novel but an RPG, Tales of Xillia II features my second favorite ending of all times in any game, which is the Julius Ending - which is basically considered to be THE bad ending. So yeah, good and bad is very relative and personal, as far as endings go.
I still uuuusually prefer when the MC and their closest one/s survive… usually, like I said :rofl:

Okay! I was mostly interested in that, so thanks!
Flavor text or minor choices are important for immersion and often make me smile when I notice small touches that obviously are affected by that. That’s why I didn’t “care” about major consequences of Grace and Corruption in this case (not to mention, I consider that was touched upon in my questions about equilibrium, indirectly haha).

It’s okay. It’s a weird minor pet peeve of mine when playing games with romance (and sometimes even when playing games WITHOUT romance - or well, where romance is not important), but it’s not a BIG thing. I have major pet peeves too, and it doesn’t seem like it would hit any of these, because it wouldn’t really make sense I think? I can’t see it happening in this story.
The biggest one is in isekai stories, if the MC goes back to their world at the end because “responsibilities” and stuff like that - with a special level of HECK NOPE if there’s the fact that “it was all about growth, and now they can be an adult in their world”, considering usually they achieved so much more in the other world, and then they come back to their normal little life where they are and always will be so much less, so it’s regression. But in the case of your story, angels and demons can travel to an extent, and it’s not really different worlds in an isekai sense anyway.
The secondary one is amnesia (well, amnesia is the only trigger warning I need in stories to begin with, because it really makes me feel bad), but in this case I’m talking about “ending amnesia”, where the MC (or sometimes their love interest or best friend/s) forgets about everything or almost everything that happened during the entire (or most of) the story because of REASONS.
So yeah, what I mean is that I may have minor gripes, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like the story!
I had a DREAM about it! I only had dreams about TWO other purely text based games, and I have played… well, more than 100 WIPs included!

1 Like

Okay, so in that case you will definitely have the opportunity to be happy, no matter whether the ending in itself isn’t what you would have expected.

So yeah everything is relative, like I said.

Also I hate it too when characters are killed off, but it’s much fun if you are the writer :blush:

And the amnesia thing just annoys me, though time travel in itself gives me headaches too. It’s really not a concept I like, mostly bc I’m over-analyzing many things.

This was all I needed to hear :sparkling_heart: I’m flattered!

8 Likes

Even negative feedback is still feedback. The issue with your critique, though, is that was strictly Adam’s personality in this interpretation of the creation myth. We wouldn’t really have anything to go off of if things were totally fine from the beginning; no cause to make someone who shouldn’t even conceive of “bitterness” or “deception” toward a form of revenge. Lilith was hurt, and took it out on Adam and Eve for being cruel to her whenever they thought no one was watching. None of the three of them had the capacity to understand the mere concept, but all three could be tempted into doing the wrong thing for one reason, or another. Lilith played a nasty trick on her bullies, so she’s not as innocent as she might seem.

Another issue, though probably more troubling than your words intended, is the problem of Adam not respecting that Lilith hadn’t given her consent, and wanted to be treated like an equal. Pretending this isn’t a conversation that needs to be more openly vocalized ignores the subtle, but important secondary message about what’s wrong with modern society in general.

As an important closing line to my response: further discussion of this will likely derail the topic. Try to keep it focused on the story, and constructive criticism, please! :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes