Can the power of music save the human race?
When you and the Raqullan regime descend upon Earth, the plan is to force all humans into submission. Otherwise, exterminate. But when you learn about this curious practice they call music, you realize the humans may be worth more than just labor.
Music does not exist in Raqullan society, and your curiosity to learn more may be enough to keep the humans alive long enough to understand it. Is it an art? A tool? A weapon? You may have to come to a conclusion when the fate of the human race rests in your claws.
Message in a Melody is a 120,000-word interactive science fiction novel by Tyler S. Harris in which your choices control the story. It is entirely text-based—without graphics—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination. There are some opportunities to click a link and hear the song that inspires the scene. Open in a new tab to listen if you’d like.
- Play as male or female. You do not have to choose a sexual orientation and can play as straight, gay, bi, or aromantic.
- Become a master of science, oration, weapons, or perhaps even a musical instrument.
- Build relationships in a manner similar to humans. Find a partner, a companion, or even a lover.
- Help a friend to research weapons, cure a disease, bring animals from your home planet to Earth, or become a musical prodigy.
- Be the first of your kind to perform music for a human audience.
- Gain enough power to become a member of the Raqullan High Council, or throw it all away to become a starving artist.
- Discover songs (achievements) as you play. Can you discover the entire playlist?
Will music be the bridge that crosses the divide between Raqullans and humans? Or will the troubled waters from the first contact be too much to overcome?
Content Warning: Dark themes and violence.
Currently this is mostly complete (11 out of 12 chapters), but I will post in installments so I can incorporate feedback as I finish the last chapter. I plan on posting an update each month.
Open to any and all feedback, but some things I need help deciding on:
- Should I allow the PC to choose their sexuality, which will restrict their ROs (there are 4 total)?
- If you think of a great alternate title, feel free to share.
Dashingdon Demo: https://dashingdon.com/go/15473
Moody Demo: https://moody.ink/play/tylersharris/message-in-a-melody-working-title/mygame/
Compared to Zoo-pocalypse
If you played my first IF, “Zoo-pocalypse” on HG (Zoo-pocalypse), I’d say this WIP is vastly different (and, dare I say, vastly better). Besides just being a better story imo:
- The final version with all 12 chapters should be at least 120K words, much longer than Zoopoc.
- MIAM is structured more in the CoG format than Zoopoc was.
- Zoopoc was extremely violent. This has much less violence (although there is still some). You can also take a more peaceful approach in this one.
- There are ROs!!!
If you were not a fan of Zoopoc, I hope that you will still take a chance on MIAM. If you liked Zoopoc, I can’t wait to see what you think of MIAM!
There are 4 ROs. All of them have a “project” they are working on throughout the game. You can get close to them while simultaneously helping them to bring their projects to fruition.
Jivu (M): A weapons manufacturer who closely follows the traditions of the Raqullan Empire. You may have to break his hard shell and find the soft center.
Phargona (F): In many ways the opposite of Jivu, and prefers to live in nature rather than the city. She plans to bring a species of animals to Earth from your home planet.
Natheibo (M): A scientist who ends up conducting research on human diseases. Not quite Sheldon Cooper, but does relate most things back to science, even romance.
Bwaenju (F): Most sympathetic to humans, she is in charge of getting a nuclear power plant up and running in a nearby city. You help her less with the power plant and more with her newfound interest in playing music.
Currently, General Iryklav is not an RO. But I’ve had one request to make it so by @MadAdam. Perhaps if there is enough demand, I will have no choice but to give in.
OP January 19, 2024: Chapters 1-4
Update February 15, 2024: Chapters 1-8. Small issues fixed in first chapters, save option added to Dashingdon, nicer looking links.