[WIP] Memoir of Smoke and Mirrors (Update 07/27/21)

I’m extremely jealous; I’ve been desperate to make one and I can’t get my hands on sweetened condensed milk. I may have to suck it up and make a cheesecake version instead, because I do have all the things for that.

1 Like

Funny you say that, I just made some key lime cheesecake bars! I still used sweetened condensed milk though. That stuff is a godsend. I’m tempted to post pictures but that feels arrogant and off-topic haha.

2 Likes

Please post a pic.Pictures are the next best thing to the pie itself.

Alright, if my adoring fans insist…above is the pie before I decorated it! Below is it after I did.

And lastly, my key lime cheesecake bars!

My plans for after this is a key lime marshmallow-based fudge (I have a LOT of key lime juice). And then I’m planning on dark chocolate cupcakes with espresso buttercream and marshmallow filling. When those happen I’ll be sure to post them, if anyone so desires.

Edit: I forgot to post my chocolate chip cookies! These were made before the pie.

20 Likes

The most I’ve made is crumble and blueberry muffins.I am jealous.

2 Likes

Hejdo.

I have internet for a bit so I’ve decided to check up on this :sweat_smile:

There will be a chance to decide what goodie you can make further on in the game! I’ll take yours in mind :wink: also those pics make me hungry :joy::joy: but please refrain from being off topic here! Thank you

A little update: right now I’m halfway done with chapter one! I’ve added a few extra scenes and choices but I’m not going to update the link until I’m actually done. I took a short break and did a kinda behind-the-scenes thing. A snippet on Corbyn/Coryna’s side after PC’s scene with him/her. As of now, it’s not canon, just a little something I thought would be fun to write. You can read it here: Corbyn/Coryna’s Extra

Also, I’ve finished the illustrations for our ROs’ female versions as well as one for Aleister unmasked!

Here you go :>

Coryna

Mirah

Kiana, though I’m thinking of changing her design.

Then there’s this guy.

54 Likes

That snippet was amazing.Even if it’s not in the novel,please make it canon.

6 Likes

Yeah, this needs to be cannon. Absolutely, no doubt about it. She’s adorable, getting flustered after I leave like that. She was my primary romance choice regardless, but by God! Now I’m even more certain :joy:

13 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad you like it :blush: Definitely have to polish that too. I plan to add at least one bts for each RO (and who knows, they might appear in the novel too heheh)

9 Likes

Oooh yes! I would like this to be canon too! Secretly pining for your best friend… ahh the angst I love it :pleading_face::heart:

6 Likes

Ikr! I love angst even though I hurt too :joy: There’s definitely going to be a lot of canon in extras :>

4 Likes

MSM Latest Version

M’s Behind the Scene

Changelog
  • 05/23/20
    •Added a short sexuality scene. Not about PC being straight, gay, or bi, but whether PC is ace, demi, or allo.
    •Added an alternative pre-bakery scene aside from the creepy old lady and her ball of yarn and with a slightly different exposition.
    •Changed secondary NPC’s name to Benedict.
    •Changed an opposed_pair stat name.
    •Improvements to the narrative.
    •More choices that will matter in the long run.
    •Added skin tone choice.
    •Revised the blurb with more details now.
    •Added an extra scene for M.
23 Likes

M’s scene is just so :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.And here I thought I already knew my favourite RO!.Why do you have to do this to me?

2 Likes

the game crashes when opening the stats menu

1 Like

@Book_Devourer I gotta keep you on your toes :joy:

@Ryu thanks! Fixed it ^~^

2 Likes

@fisheye Thank you for letting me know how you feel about it! That definitely helps how I should go about this project, and also gives me a chance to clarify things like this!

I know we have limited choices right now regarding how to approach ROs but I’ve assumed they’re sufficient enough for now. The four options are as follows:
1-A shy romantic pursuit
2-A bold romantic pursuit
3-A neutral/friendly reaction
4-A negative reaction

I do want to add more options on how the PC can react/what choice they can make, since I aim to prioritize the narrative and your experience of it (personality stats are important too!), but I want to focus more on putting down and settling the plot first!

Also, I have hidden stats at work. Mostly regarding whether the PC is feeling platonic or romantic towards an NPC (and how much), so there is an option to not pursue any of them and there will be more choices to approach whatever kind of relationship the PC wants.

There’s a relationship bar in the stats screen, and while it does contribute to romancing the ROs, it’s more of a gauge regarding how good (or bad) your relationship with the NPC is, which, again, will affect how they perceive you and how they will react to you and your actions in the future, in the narrative side of things and most especially outside of romance. As I’ve said before, character relationships are a huge part of this interactive novel. And while it does give PC a bigger relationship boost to flirt with the ROs compared to choosing the neutral/friendly choice, there will be consequences for it, which may or may not be detrimental to PC’s relationship with the ROs and others.

One more thing, after choosing the flirt options, there are three (or four? five? Depends on if you acknowledge Mr. N or not) fake choices simply meant to add a small boost, but choices nonetheless. Since the PC has already chosen the flirt option, I see no harm in providing another set of choices which still gives a bit of variety. And there’s also the issue regarding PC’s sexuality (ace/demi/allo) and that will definitely come into play, too! So that will affect the preferences and availability of choices.

That being said, I would like to know if showing the hidden stat points would be better or not for this WIP? I can’t guarantee doing so when I finish writing the entire thing (and I’m determined to do so :muscle:) but it might help gain a better understanding of the relationships? It’s mostly just flirt points at this stage, really, plus the Narrator’s relationship and Mom’s.

17 Likes

Hey! I’m really enjoying this WIP so far, it’s different and unique! I was wondering though if you changed the RO’s for Micah/Mirah. In the demo, the reader can’t choose the gender of M and is forced to Mirah. I don’t know if this is a mistake or on purpose but it’d be nice to update the info if so…

2 Likes

She/he is heterosexual,so she will be the opposite gender to the PC.

4 Likes

Ohh…Thats Okay. That’s too bad, I was looking forward to M’s route, haha.

3 Likes

Well, if you choose to have a gender neutral Mc you can pick if you want to have Micah or Mirah

4 Likes