(WIP) Magician's Voyage | Now In Beta Testing

Glad you’re feeling better

1 Like

The world of this game really reminds me of the later seasons of Syfy’s The Magicians, based on the books by Lev Grossman, especially in response to the library and ambient magic.

1 Like

Hey all! I’ve just finished the new branch, and have entered the private beta testing phase! Depending on how long the changes from this takes, you’ll likely be seeing the public update here soon :slight_smile:

The new branch has 24,000 words, bringing the total demo length to 105,000 words, with average playthrough lengths of around 20,000 words.

The update consists of the fifth and final Pordezzo branch, introducing Luc and Ines. There’ll be new RO hangouts & new lore.

Anyway thanks for your continued interest, and keep an eye out for the public update in the near future✨

10 Likes

Sooo many things I want my character too learn/be battery magic users, hedgewitch would be cool too learn, telegreening, loving all of it

1 Like

It’d be pretty cool too learn ways of hedgewitches and eventually become a teacher of it making it a more legitimate branch of magic for non-magicians.

1 Like

Oh that is an interesting idea! There’s a bit more Hedge Witch magic planned in the new branch, although I haven’t had the MC learn specific Hedge Witch spells yet.

Some more details below, but I’ll hide them in case you don’t want to get spoiled for the update.

So far, I’ve had paying close attention to Hedge Witch enchantments give the player a small boost to whatever school of magic the spell is most related to. A lot of the spells are a form of Fielding, because they involve making and using magical objects. Luc and Ines both are familiar with folk magic in general, and you’ll see a little of that in the new branch

3 Likes

Oh, and there will be more encounters with backpacking magicians, as well as more TeleGreening, eventually :eyes:

Backpacking magicians is such a cool concept, if we have a chance too leave the order, I’d definitely join them, since their independent and the fact that I just love the idea of that. Question, do the batteries charge by absorbing ambient magic or do magicians charge them at certain places.

1 Like

They’re charged at certain places. Unfortunately the Order controls the supply, though, so backpackers still have to buy their batteries through them :upside_down_face:

There’s actually a convo you can have in the update with some backpacker magicians on this very subject! I was thinking it might be too boring/something people wouldn’t be especially interested in, but your comments are making me think I should leave it in

Edit: Collecting ambient magic isn’t quite efficient enough for the types of work most backpacker magians do (would be very slow & ineffiecient by most methods). Theoretically such a device could be made using leyflower, which is very efficient at absorbing ambient magic, but as we know, leyflower is illegal

4 Likes

I’d say leave it in, I personally love world building conversations. But if you still wanna get rid of it, you could have a lore tab in the stat screen to get more in depth on things. That makes sense about it taking a long too charge on ambient magic. I feel like the only people who would use something like that would be the healer and plant guard people. For emergency power boosts or something. Plant shaping also sounds fun, if that becomes available imma have too hide it from kel lol

1 Like

Right now I’m leaning more toward leaving it in, but I’ll see what the beta testers think. Also, not sure if you’ve seen it, but there is a lore & history tab on the stat screen currently :eyes: iirc there’s not a section on backpackers yet, though.

Also, re: GreenShaping, there’s definitely going to be opportunities to learn it eventually, and Kel’s reaction is going to be a Whole Thing

4 Likes

That world building conversation with the backpackers is so good, it feels so earned too. You basically could figure out that much on what the Order is about by being a evil jerk in the Grusk paths, so it isn’t really that much of a spoiler. Please keep that in as is, its literally perfect.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your input @Frowning! Definitely leaning toward leaving it in now :slight_smile:

And thanks for all your help with beta testing!

Shared this on the dev blog a while ago, but forgot to drop it here. Just something silly/for fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cyber hugs back, new friend.

1 Like

Awww, you got Aja! She’s definitely one of my favorites :relaxed:

Cyber hugs indeed, friend :green_heart: :sparkles:

1 Like