[WIP] Invaders [Updated 09/17]

Himself? My MC’s friend is a guy.

1 Like

@Vattena Thanks for the detailed list of errors! I always try to go through the text whenever I’m finished writing, but I still get a lot of errors by me, I’ll try to do it better next time!

@Umbreonpanda: Thanks, I’ve fixed that!

1 Like

It’s a problem face by many people as they read what they thought they wrote instead of what they actually wrote so find a guy to read your stories before posting them if you want to post a cleaner demo or just leave this to the community as they will try to help if they could.

1 Like

@DUNGEON_MASTER Yeah, it’s kinda bothersome. Well, I don’t know many people IRL who could help me with this. If anyone volunteers to help me, I’d be forever grateful. If everyone’s busy with something else, I completely understand and will find some other way to keep the text cleaner. :smile:

1 Like

Just added a minor update, corrected every grammar mistake I could find.
From tomorrow on I’ll start working on Chapter 3.

6 Likes

Isn’t there way to save the MCs childhood friend if you aren’t a soldier? I want my MC to be good with techs, but I don’t want to abandon the childhood friend. Unfortunately it seems the only way to save him (I made the childhood friend a male) is if my MC is a soldier…

1 Like

@VioletHikari

Well, the profession you chose doesnt necessarily stop you from saving your friend. The only pre-requisites I set were: you either need to have 25 strength of 15 speed. Besides, if you are tired - meaning you chose to crawl into the tunnel in the collapsed pharmacy by yourself - or if you are too injured - you can get injured two times in this chapter, you can’t avoid the first one as it happens when the Fort Kent gets exploded,
the second one happens if you don’t have any stat high enough to escape the pharmacy - you will fail and end up dying.
When I came up with these requisites, I wanted to make the game as realistic as possible, so sometimes no matter how good you are with technology, you’ll need to have other skills to survive. But then again, I could change that if you feel it’s unfair. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Maybe not death but some sort of backlash.

Like waking up at a different point where the situation is messed up.

@DUNGEON_MASTER
So you think death should not be implemented at all?

You could always put a checkpoint system cause some people don’t like deaths ( me included :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

3 Likes

Sounds fair! I’ll try to add a autosaving feature. XD
But back to @VioletHikari’s question, do you think I should lower the prerequisites, or maybe add an option for every stat?

IMO, it’d make things less realistic, like whatever you wind up choosing the end result is always the same.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’ve been working on chapter 3, but there’s something I need your input on:

In chapter 2 you have the choice of saving your friend, but to do so, you must either have 25 strength or 15 agility.
The thing is, I wanted to convey the idea of how life doesn’t always puts you in a situation you are equipped to deal with, but it has come to my attention that I’d be forcing the player to develop a certain stat if he wants to keep the friend alive.
I’d like your opinions, if playing a game that won’t let you achieve a certain event with any stat is a deal-breaker.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2 Likes

I think there should be a way to save your friend whatever profession you are, but I don’t mind the idea of it being difficult and not something everyone sees on their first playthrough. The trick is balancing it to make it roughly equal difficulty for each. (UNLESS you balance it with a similar situation later where a different profession has the advantage. For example maybe there’s another character later who’ll die if you don’t have high enough tech.)

The simple way to balance this would be to have a plain choice between different strategies representing the different stats. Pick what corresponds to what you’re good at, and it works, if not, it doesn’t. But this can make it pretty easy to always pick the ‘right’ choice for your skills and can penalize you for trying to play a balanced character instead of focusing on one thing. The more complicated strategy would be to hide successful choices (your friend lives) for different stats in different branches. You’d make a choice to run into building A or B earlier in the chapter. Building A has a ‘success’ route for strength but not tech, while B is the opposite. You can accomplish the goal with any skill set, but it’s not immediately obvious how to get there.

1 Like

I usually model my MCs after my favorite characters from books, movies, or television shows or myself.

I hadn’t thought of that, creating a different scene in which I could offer the other two unused stats. The only problem I have with that idea is that the player might feel cheated somehow. It’s not really interactive when all the choices lead down to the same result. I mean, in the end the same thing is essentially happening with every choice they make, the only difference being what stat makes that option possible.

I don’t know if I was able to clearly explain what I mean. But anyways, I think your idea is probably the best one I could follow. I’ll apply it, even if it doesn’t quite sit well with me. Thanks a bunch for your post, I really needed a second opinion on this.

@Markel1970A Sorry, I don’t quite follow. In what sense do you mean?

Like using the character’s name and likeness from the other series or my name and likeness to model the MC.

This reminds me of X-COM in a really good way. It’s also nice to survive against an alien invasion from a civilian standpoint.

@Markel1970A That’s cool, I think a lot of people tend to do that. I normally prefer to create an MC as similar to myself as possible.

@ShadowWolf0020 Yeah, X-COM is definitely a huge source of inspiration for me, but I somewhat dislike the way they portray technology. By the end of the game you are using the exact same tech that the aliens employ. In the middle of an invasion, such a sudden spike in tech development seems a bit far-fetched, especially when we consider most of their tech is what we would consider theoretical physics, so I thought I’d show humankind barely being able to use whatever they find, let alone understanding how their tech actually works.

On an unrelated note, I gotta apologize in advance for the delay in the updates. Routine is getting crazy right now at work, and I’m still changing quite a bit of chapter 2. I hope to have chapter 3 and a small Interlude between Chap1 and 2 ready by wednesday.

Thank you all for reading my work and I hope you enjoy it! :smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to add real quick, I don’t think this is cheating the player at all (done well). Even if you end up at the same place, you got there a different way. Ultimately, unavoidably, there will be lots of places that the mc ends up no matter what choices they made, because you can’t write that many branches. And yet, those moments may feel very different depending on how you arrived there.

Please do! I’m going to make so many wrong decisions. xD